LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Waiver Wire Poor Man's Christmas - #2 Position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Elijah Lee to back up Foster?
Actually, i like all those ideas, jobiwon.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 3, 2017 at 8:18 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Lock down for what?

For making guys think. If it isn't all laid out nice and easy....well, you know, NC.

That said, this is the absolute hardest thing to do, and is way harder than making the final cuts. And you have to improve on someone(s) who have already been thru the whittling business. True, we get second pick, but this is hard because then, the list we so painstakingly put together , has to be redone once again. Our pick from the cuts list was Laken....except that happened a day early(or 2) and would have been taking place right now. Basically, i think htat except in exceptional cases, there is going to be very litttle or few guys taken here. Everybody already went thru cuts, and if you wanted somebody bad enough, you offered a late rd pick for them. And i believe that has already happened. I could be wrong, but i think it unlikely there is any major movement here. Anybody here on this list has his warts and fleas, and everybody knows it. The guys we really wanted, we already got.

And from the list, all 10 of shalyn' s draft picks made the 53 or got onto the IR list. In addition, we got FIVE (5) UDFAs to stick...meaning that Shalyn likes their picks and that is about it. At best they would like to have kept kerley for one, but they wanted their own picks more.

And as an aside, we got 27 new guys on the team from last yr, making us 55% 1st time 9er players. Honestly, i thought the cuts list would be a big deal, but as it turned out, most teams , if they had a need, inquired about the player and traded for him, usually a 6th or 7th. That way they were assured of getting the guy they wanted.

The high rate of turnover is simply the incompetence of the previous regime and also Kyle's system being a total change from the previous regime. I expect that next year there will be less turnover, but not by much. Clearly speed is a priority in Kyle's system. In the old regime going back to the Harbaugh days, blocking and power running was the priority. Hence the tremendous turnover, and surprises - I.e. Jeremy Kerley being let go. I think the high rate of undrafted retention is the fact that Kyle and Lynch talk a lot and are on the same page, and know exactly where the are in the draft and what the draft did and didn't do for them. Finally, historically Kyle has made lemons into lemonade. He's taken low round O Linemen and low round RB's and made them starts in the NFL. That has more to do with coaching and system fit than simply being lucky and finding the undrafted lotto ticket player like a John Randle. That last skill set is going to be important once we are a playoff level team and start losing depth to bottom feeding teams with tons of cap space like our team.
"First of all, let me say that I hope I am never No. 2 on the waiver claim again," Lynch said. "But it's a nice spot to be sitting in. (Coach) Kyle (Shanahan) and I consistently from the start said any opportunity we can to improve our team, we won't hesitate to do so."

"There's been a ton of preparation in terms of trying to prognosticate people's rosters throughout the league and 'here's some people that could be out there,'" Lynch said. "We've been tireless in our efforts to do that. That continues today as we start to see cuts come out and then we'll see the official wire. And if we feel like somebody can help us and improve who we are as a team both in the short term and long term, then we won't hesitate."
I've posted already that CBs are the main focus of this 2nd time around wish list. The only thing i see us changing would be CB/S. And not knowing all those available, the list is long. Frankly i think Shalyn are happy with what they did. . Ok, if a hot shot OL turns up, sure, they would htink about him. But that' it. We definitely are NOT looking at :

QBs
RBs
WRs
DL
TEs
FB

LBs, yes, DBs yes, and if a zinger OL is out there, him too. Otherwise we stand pat.
Tyvis Powell profiles a lot like Witherspoon - big DB who needs to improve tackling. He would be more FS than CB but I would add this guy.
DJ Foster please!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I've posted already that CBs are the main focus of this 2nd time around wish list. The only thing i see us changing would be CB/S. And not knowing all those available, the list is long. Frankly i think Shalyn are happy with what they did. . Ok, if a hot shot OL turns up, sure, they would htink about him. But that' it. We definitely are NOT looking at :

QBs
RBs
WRs
DL
TEs
FB

LBs, yes, DBs yes, and if a zinger OL is out there, him too. Otherwise we stand pat.

I think Nick Mullens makes the practice squad if no other QB's interest Kyle. It was interesting that Kyle was calling read option plays for Nick. These plays are essentially the simple Kaepernick plays of the past, one read and if not there - then go. I think it would take a QB that's heads and shoulders way above Nick to make the practice squad because that new QB doesn't have the familiarity with the offense that Nick currently has.

Hopefully there's a pass rusher out there that can help the team. We shall see...
Desir is probably an upgrade for us.
I'd take Rubin as a b/u after Blair goes to IR.
I'd have to think hard about Kasen Williams, too. Big body that excels on ST.

Garrison Smith got cut by Seattle. So did Tiller.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Lock down for what?

David Yankey, Marcus Hardison, Marquez White, Cyrus Kouandijo, Damian Swann, Keyarris Garrett, Tyler Orlosky, Alex Collins, Tyler Marz, Jace Amaro, Tre McBride, Matt Jones, Scooby Wright III, Shilique Calhoun, Senquez Golston, Xavier Cooper, TJ Clemmings
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Sep 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Brandon Doughty, put up huge numbers in college, put him on the P/S
Elijah Lee to back up Foster?

He was a guy they seemed to like pre-draft. He was brought in for a visit

Edit - I'd like him on the PS
[ Edited by saniner on Sep 3, 2017 at 9:24 AM ]
It's past 9am where's all the moves at?!
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
It's past 9am where's all the moves at?!

I know! I'm dying here!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone