LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Waiver Wire Poor Man's Christmas - #2 Position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Well, until we know what the coaches were looking for--changed assignments, calls by the safety, etc.--it's difficult to blame a DB for some confusion. Once the season begins, if there is the type of Keystone Cops backfield of the past two years, then I'll worry.

then you will deal with some people who say., we are fine, its part of the plan. klyle and lynch know best and we will worry about it next year

This is a year to sit back and watch the coaches try to find players who will make plays. As the year progresses the team should make strides and it will be apparent. But if they look as confused and incompetent as they did under Mangini or O'Neil then I'll worry!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I was expecting a little more veteran help in this phase of the season, but it seems like win now is not as important as building a complete team for the future. It disappoints me i the short term, but if this approach works, we will be a forces next season, and possibly a real threat to contended soon. No more speculation, the regular season is here, the rubber meets the road next weekend, hold on this might be a bumpy ride, but I am excited to see where the road leads.

As you know, Golitta we made an amazing upgrade with our first two picks. Also during that time, early in rd 1 and rd 2, the top flite CBs went early. And then after they went there was a large talent disparity. I am glad they went front 7 initially and then added akehello in rd 3. We are way better off with a run stopping D. But by the time we got to choose a DB, the really good ones were gone. Ahkello was probably the best of those remaining ,but as we have seen, looks like he needs a lot of work. Does he have the talent? That remains to be seen. To date he has not been overwhelming. I have no idea what he brings to the table, other than good physical dimensions. Can he cover? So far, we don't know. Can he start? Well we have to start somebody, and our weak link is the backside of the D,....that is no secret. We will be as good as our front 7 getting to the QB in 3 seconds or under. After that the pass is probably thrown( unless kap is facing us, and he's still unemployed at present). So we had to make decisions early on and i believe they made the right ones early on. The CB talent fell off by the time our pick came around early in Rd 3. So i am disappointed also in the DBs, but honestly i think we came out alright in the grand scheme of things. If we had taken a top flite CB early on we would not have gotten Reuben, the steal of the draft. If CB had been our first pick, then we would not have had Solly. So no argument about what they did pick, but they made the right choice to build up the worst front 7 in the league. CBs are for next yrs rebuild completion.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 5, 2017 at 9:42 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
This is a year to sit back and watch the coaches try to find players who will make plays. As the year progresses the team should make strides and it will be apparent. But if they look as confused and incompetent as they did under Mangini or O'Neil then I'll worry!

god,. i hated mangini.. he stayed and always had a job with us. why for gods sake? oh well.. i hope you are right on your good post
I hope so as well! But then...I'm an inveterate optimist.

god,. i hated mangini.. he stayed and always had a job with us. why for gods sake? oh well.. i hope you are right on your good post

The difference, cc. (I HOPE), is that a) our talent level is double what we had last yr, maybe even better. And b),then there is Saleh. With him he has said K I S S, as opposed to those two knuckle heads who said, "My D is so hard it takes 2 yrs to even learn it." Even if that were true, that is the LAST thing those two ding dongs should have said. Broadcasting to the league that it takes two yrs to teach a D? STOOOOOPID! And that fit both those faux DCs...both imposters. With Saleh, it is simple, pretty much Mano a Mano, and see what each D player can bring to the table. Front 7 is going to be, or already is, outrageous. Backside is...well, not so hot. No idea if any of them have talent or if so can they stay healthy? Seeing as how baalke made a career out of drafting DBs in first 2 or 3 picks every yr for 3 yrs running, and still to have no talent in back...well that kind of makes one sick.

But wiht Saleh, guys in back will need to cover their man...most of the time...and if not, then bring in next man up. Our hope is going to be in the front 7 crashing the QB before 3 seconds. If they can, then the backside may not look so bad. But if QB has time, then you are riight, we will be toast. Then we just have to outscore the opponents, and right now we got half a new team who barely knows one another. Saleh is a totally different animal than mangini and JoN. He really has it together and i am glad for him. He has worked hard and deserves a shot, altho as you know was our 2nd or 3rd choice...the others currently having contracts on different teams. But Saleh may surprise and with luck will beat the back end into being a good squad. And Saleh made a point of saying SIMPLE. I like that. It has been needed for 3 yrs now.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

The difference, cc. (I HOPE), is that a) our talent level is double what we had last yr, maybe even better. And b),then there is Saleh. With him he has said K I S S, as opposed to those two knuckle heads who said, "My D is so hard it takes 2 yrs to even learn it." Even if that were true, that is the LAST thing those two ding dongs should have said. Broadcasting to the league that it takes two yrs to teach a D? STOOOOOPID! And that fit both those faux DCs...both imposters. With Saleh, it is simple, pretty much Mano a Mano, and see what each D player can bring to the table. Front 7 is going to be, or already is, outrageous. Backside is...well, not so hot. No idea if any of them have talent or if so can they stay healthy? Seeing as how baalke made a career out of drafting DBs in first 2 or 3 picks every yr for 3 yrs running, and still to have no talent in back...well that kind of makes one sick.

But wiht Saleh, guys in back will need to cover their man...most of the time...and if not, then bring in next man up. Our hope is going to be in the front 7 crashing the QB before 3 seconds. If they can, then the backside may not look so bad. But if QB has time, then you are riight, we will be toast. Then we just have to outscore the opponents, and right now we got half a new team who barely knows one another. Saleh is a totally different animal than mangini and JoN. He really has it together and i am glad for him. He has worked hard and deserves a shot, altho as you know was our 2nd or 3rd choice...the others currently having contracts on different teams. But Saleh may surprise and with luck will beat the back end into being a good squad. And Saleh made a point of saying SIMPLE. I like that. It has been needed for 3 yrs now.

Well I found something regarding the safety play in the Dungey cover 2 that I've been harping about. Source "Quiet Strength" by Tony Dungey page 170. Paraphrasing here:

When I arrived at the Vikings, they had a one gap scheme under Monte Kiffen. The idea was to gap penetrate and rush the passers with db's in man coverage. Dungey combined the Steelers zone defense with Monte's one gap system. Most teams [back then] used a two gap system, the Vikings under Monte just handled one side of the O linemen. They used the safety to compensate for the backside play. The idea is not to take on the O Linemen directly, so now the D Linemen didn't need to be large, and can be smaller, but they need to be quick and exceptionally good at rushing the passer.

So in a nutshell this alluded to what I've been saying about the cover two and John Lynch's role as the guy that keys where the defensive line will slant to, depending on where he positions himself or drops back in coverage. This important because Pete basically combined the one gap with the Seifert two gap scheme and came up with the 4-3 under. I think the hiring of John Lynch is brilliant because that safety is the key to that defense. If there is a GM that can draft another Jeff Fuller/kam chancellor (sp?) Safety that can key this defense, it's a guy who played in that defense and excelled at a high level, and knows the defense inside and out.
Nice find, Giedi. Thanks. I said a few mos ago that I was really happy to have John as GM because...he knew exactly what kind of DBs to get us...but that was just generic...here you have neatly laid out the why.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nice find, Giedi. Thanks. I said a few mos ago that I was really happy to have John as GM because...he knew exactly what kind of DBs to get us...but that was just generic...here you have neatly laid out the why.

Thank you. I'm still searching for that Dungy football clinic article that was in AAFC book. I wish I at least have zeroxed the darn thing. Anyway, I haven't given up the search for it since I think it forshadows Kyles vision of where the 49er defense will be in a few years.
Share 49ersWebzone