LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

OL Laken Tomlinson, signs with NYJ

Shop 49ers game tickets
A fifth-rounder 2 years from now, a total no-brainer right there. I thought this guy was pretty good coming out of college. If he's even on par with Garnett pretty much a steal.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What type of blocking scheme does Detroit run?

That was my question.

In any vase, good move. OG is clearly a weakness, perhaps 2nd worst depth on the team after CB.

I wonder if we'll squeeze in one more trade for a CB. Maybe Dial can fetch us someone?

Yes yes please trade for a CB!!!

This trade is funny though, he was on the trade block when I was playing Madden last night. Haha!!!
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Quality prospect who was OK as a rookie and took a step back in year two. Still young, has a lot of upside. Obviously, Mayhew believes in him. Adds depth and competition at a minimum, and could turn into a solid player down the road.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Damn straight to the starting lineup

Has the physical tools to succeed and giving up on a 1st round Olineman after two years could be considered a mistake on their part when you see how undeveloped these kids are now coming into the NFL.
Just curious, if he's that good why did they let him go? He was probably going to be cut
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Hope this guy has something that will work for us in this scheme.

Have my doubts though. Seems like if he couldn't find a place with the Lions (not a great OL), this may be a lateral (at best) move - UNLESS the 49ers FO knows that the kid was playing out of position and/or in the wrong scheme. Maybe they think that that moving to the right side and in a Zone Blocking scheme will work out.

Fingers crossed.
me to. at least they did something to acknowledge what many of us already knew. that the o line needs help.
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Just curious, if he's that good why did they let him go? He was probably going to be cut

They signed TJ Lang to play RG.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
He was drafted in the 1st-round in 2015 but he's been massively disappointing based on what I've read from Lions' fans. Started 24 out of 32 games.

There's a reason we only had to give up a 5th-round pick in 2019 to get him.

What type of blocking scheme does Detroit run?
A brief search says they run a zone blocking scheme. Not much clearer than that.

Right on, I just wanted to know if he has experience in that scheme.
Originally posted by okdkid:
A completely no-risk trade. Nothing to hate here.

This.

Originally posted by NCommand:
...good sign Garnett will start the year on I.R. designation to return.

And this.

Wow! They have been trying to get Beadles out of the starting lineup. LG?

...or RG for Fusco?

Where you are picked really doesn't matter after a couple of years in the league. Marcus Martin was a higher draft choice. If anything getting picked higher only extends your career when he should've been cut much sooner.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PacTiger:

He's not that good. He hasn't looked like a starter a day in his NFL life.

However, this is a no-risk trade that gives the Niners a one-year tryout. Tomlinson may start here... but he is a backup guard through-and-through. There's not much to be debated there.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by captveg:
That was my question.

In any case, good move. OG is clearly a weakness, perhaps 2nd worst depth on the team after CB.

Nope. Pure power run blocking blocking RG.

He isn't very mobile at all but that is ok. Run behind him and Brown on the right side. They are beasts.
His scouting profile backs up what you said. He's a mauler type. Odd, but I don't see Kyle/Lynch making a trade for a player they wouldn't think fits. Although this move might speak more to how much Beadles/Fusco suck than it does about how good Tomlinson is.
Originally posted by jcs:

Has the physical tools to succeed and giving up on a 1st round Olineman after two years could be considered a mistake on their part when you see how undeveloped these kids are now coming into the NFL.

This... need 3 years now to really know.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Welp, this guy makes it. I don't see them giving up a pick just to cut him after one preseason game.

Agree. Here's the NFL scouting report that really intrigued me.

Bottom Line Tomlinson has treated defenders like a squat rep at times, but getting defenders centered and jacked will be tougher in the NFL. His lack of athleticism is a major concern and will cause problems winning initial engagements as defenders will get into him first. What Tomlinson lacks in second-level ability he makes up for in straight-ahead power and an ability to stalemate power players. His success in the NFL could be predicated on scheme and landing spot.

Interesting that he seems more of a man blocker than a zone blocker. I have no clue at all about him though other than a couple of articles I've read about him. Interesting trade and an interesting player they got. I'm betting Kyle knows what to do with this guy and make him a star.
Share 49ersWebzone