LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

OL Laken Tomlinson, signs with NYJ

Shop 49ers game tickets
...good sign Garnett will start the year on I.R. designation to return.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What type of blocking scheme does Detroit run?

That was my question.

In any case, good move. OG is clearly a weakness, perhaps 2nd worst depth on the team after CB.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He may be better suited for our scheme.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 31, 2017 at 9:38 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He called it

Hope this guy has something that will work for us in this scheme.

Have my doubts though. Seems like if he couldn't find a place with the Lions (not a great OL), this may be a lateral (at best) move - UNLESS the 49ers FO knows that the kid was playing out of position and/or in the wrong scheme. Maybe they think that that moving to the right side and in a Zone Blocking scheme will work out.

Fingers crossed.
Originally posted by captveg:

That was my question.

In any vase, good move. OG is clearly a weakness, perhaps 2nd worst depth on the team after CB.

I wonder if we'll squeeze in one more trade for a CB. Maybe Dial can fetch us someone?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
A completely no-risk trade. Nothing to hate here.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
He was drafted in the 1st-round in 2015 but he's been massively disappointing based on what I've read from Lions' fans. Started 24 out of 32 games.

There's a reason we only had to give up a 5th-round pick in 2019 to get him.

A brief search says they run a zone blocking scheme. Not much clearer than that.
Martin Mayhew's draft pick
Originally posted by Giedi:
Wow, if it's true he's a good zone blocker. More depth at O Line! I'm thinking they really want to keep Hoyer healthy this year!

Not sure if he is a pure zone blocking guard but he was misfit at LG in Detroit. Put him next to Trent Brown and that is one strong right side that can open up massive holes.

I remember him at the senior bowl. Danny Shelton got ZERO push on him and Tomlinson made him quit on a few reps.

Damn straight to the starting lineup

Originally posted by jcs:
A brief search says they run a zone blocking scheme. Not much clearer than that.

Thanks.

That means he won't take long to pick up the basic of the offense's blocking assignments.
Great f**king move. Was a huge fan of him coming out of college.
Originally posted by captveg:
That was my question.

In any case, good move. OG is clearly a weakness, perhaps 2nd worst depth on the team after CB.

Nope. Pure power run blocking blocking RG.

He isn't very mobile at all but that is ok. Run behind him and Brown on the right side. They are beasts.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/laken-tomlinson?id=2552345

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Intelligent four-year starter who sees and responds quickly to twist games up front. Plays with low pad level. Generates torque through hip snap and lower-body power. Has enough sand in his pants to drop anchor against bull rushers. Brings impressive level of power against like-minded phone-booth warriors. Generates push as an in-line blocker. Didn't allow a sack over the last two years. Will give teams his best brand of football when highlighted in straight-ahead power game.

WEAKNESSES Lack of range and athleticism is a major concern. Struggles with contact balance and allows defenders to disengage too frequently. Rock-'em, sock-'em movement up to the second level and is inconsistent hitting targets. Inconsistent footwork as a run blocker. Will give up initial bull rush as defenders get into his chest quickly. Fails to generate pop when asked to block on the move.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2

SOURCES TELL US "Some scouts see upside with him, but I think what you see is what you get. Clunky in a phone-booth type." -- NFL director of scouting "He was really impressive matching up against true power players at the Senior Bowl. He made Danny Shelton quit on a couple of reps when he couldn't get any push against Tomlinson." -- AFC general manager

NFL COMPARISON Chris Watt

BOTTOM LINE Tomlinson has treated defenders like a squat rep at times, but getting defenders centered and jacked will be tougher in the NFL. His lack of athleticism is a major concern and will cause problems winning initial engagements as defenders will get into him first. What Tomlinson lacks in second-level ability he makes up for in straight-ahead power and an ability to stalemate power players. His success in the NFL could be predicated on scheme and landing spot.
Share 49ersWebzone