There are 167 users in the forums

Preseason Game 3 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

Why does it bother you? He definitely isn't the only QB who has done it and his release is 3 seconds. That is fast.
Maybe Marvin is saying start BeatHard, because he doesn't pat the ball? Or at least BeatHard doesn't annoy him as much as Hoyer does?

It's a bit annoying for me to. It does telegraph to the defense a little bit that he's going to pass before he throws the ball. But it's not a fatal flaw in Hoyer's game. He still has that quick release and does make good reads. If he's not corrected it by now and he's still in the NFL after 8+ years, chances are he's never going to correct it. Most likely the way to correct that, is that an HC just has to get another QB that doesn't do that. (BeatHard! )

No, Hoyer should start. Just a tendancy I don't like.

Beathard isn't ready.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
3 seconds isn't fast when the league avg is 2.5 sec. Most guys get sacked in 3.
Marvin is still alive?
Beathard had all the bad breaks that Hoyer had in game 2. Just bad breaks, when he needed to have a terrific game to be the #2. Well, that didn't happen and also, CJ had the 3s and 4s for pass pro and i don't think that any of those OLs from 3s and 4s make it. So there is that to factor in also. But he did not play like a
#2. Played like a #3.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Marvin is still alive?

Barely.
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Don't forget about Tank Carradine either. He's got Solomon Thomas breathing down his neck and the guy is playing hard. He made a nice play in the 1st quarter to shed an OLineman and stop the runner for a 1 or 2 yard gain. It's nice to see.

Good call!
Marvin is still alive?

Barely.

Where have you been hiding?
Marvin is still alive?

Barely.

Where have you been hiding?

Mostly political forums in offseason.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Don't forget about Tank Carradine either. He's got Solomon Thomas breathing down his neck and the guy is playing hard. He made a nice play in the 1st quarter to shed an OLineman and stop the runner for a 1 or 2 yard gain. It's nice to see.

Good call!

At this point, Tank is making more plays than Solly. Not a good start for the 3rd overall pick.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Good call!

At this point, Tank is making more plays than Solly. Not a good start for the 3rd overall pick.

WAY early. Thomas will be fine.

Solomon is GREEN. Huge potential but has a ton to learn and is really, really inexperienced.

Its kinda what I was getting at after the week one game. I like Solomon quite a bit but he's not quite there yet. Thats OK tho. Neither was Bryant Young. Neither was Dana Stubblefield. Takes time for most guys. Hell, NaVorro didn't even play as a rookie.

Foster though is one of the rare breed who just look the part from day 1. Those guys are the exception, not the rule which was why I pointed it out 2 weeks ago and again today. If he stays healthy he could be not just a star, but a superstar.

The only guy I can remember in SF who looked like this so early was Patrick Willis.

Ummm - I was just excited to see the 49ers run a pro-style offense for the first time in 2 years
Wait Harbaugh was just barely NFL style offense, so 6....
Wait before that was Singletary, so 7......let's just call it 8 YEARS

OMG how refreshing was that too watch? And the Bonus was it was working!!!

Lastly, QB reverse bootleg throw to FB in the flat turn it up for 10 yards -- How Rathman was that play?? Must kill Rathman we never did that while he was coaching here. LOL

And I even saw a screen pass!!

OK - I will stop :)
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Ummm - I was just excited to see the 49ers run a pro-style offense for the first time in 2 years

Lastly, QB reverse bootleg throw to FB in the flat turn it up for 10 yards -- How Rathman was that play?? Must kill Rathman we never did that while he was coaching here. LOL

Yeah...I mentioned that a few weeks ago. So nice to see a real NFL style offense for the first time in nearly a decade.
I liked what I saw from Hyde, both running and catching the ball. The TD pass he caught from Hoyer exemplifies what Shanahan intends to get from Carlos. Hope to see a lot more of that.

On defense, I noticed Mitchell was getting into the Vikes' backfield...that's just what we need. When a NT can do that, it can really disrupt what the offense is trying to do.

Marks didn't play much 'til late...hope to see a lot more of him on Thursday. He looks a bit out of shape...that may be his biggest challenge. The surge from the DL was excellent...need to see more of that.

OL played well the 1st half...once the 2nd & 3rd stringers were on the field, things got a little ragged. Same on defense. But, the majority of those players won't make the roster, either.
Originally posted by HearstFan:

Yeah...I mentioned that a few weeks ago. So nice to see a real NFL style offense for the first time in nearly a decade.

HALLALLUUUUUYYAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by English:
Hyde played a blinder. Both our starting O and D played very well. Dont care about the 2nd half.

Preseason is meaningless, but if there is one game you want to be hitting on all cylinders, this was it. The 3rd preseason game.

It was encouraging to see but likely has little to do with what to expect come September. For me its all about individual player progression and I saw some of that.

Agreed. Loved what I seen last night. I know we will not be like this every game all game long, but it shows just how good Shanahan is going to make this team once they master the offense
Share 49ersWebzone