LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 353 users in the forums

Preseason Game 3 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Couldnt agree more re: calling it elephant. f**k the leo, thats seattle lingo

And the whole Pete Carroll defense is kinda crap too. A lot of it was Seifert's 3-4 with 4-3 personnel. (BY and Stubby at DT)
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
That hole is scheme...who do you blame? The CB? ILB? S? ...all three?

Secondary and coaching.

Yeah, every scheme has holes but I'm glad this one was known now. They really need to work on it.
Players on the seagulls talk about understanding what routes and concepts offenses will dial up to beat Cover3. It's a finite number of concepts/routes that will work to bust Cover3 on the whiteboard. Things like 4 verticals, Curl/Flat, Sail, Dig routes behind the LBs, are common ways to win against Cover3. Understanding this and scouting for offensive/WR tendencies will help the CBs know how to anticipate.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

Why does it bother you? He definitely isn't the only QB who has done it and his release is 3 seconds. That is fast.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Secondary and coaching.

Yeah, every scheme has holes but I'm glad this one was known now. They really need to work on it.
Players on the seagulls talk about understanding what routes and concepts offenses will dial up to beat Cover3. It's a finite number of concepts/routes that will work to bust Cover3 on the whiteboard. Things like 4 verticals, Curl/Flat, Sail, Dig routes behind the LBs, are common ways to win against Cover3. Understanding this and scouting for offensive/WR tendencies will help the CBs know how to anticipate.

Meh, screw scouting tendencies. If it's 3rd and long, I'm going quarter defense and lets see if they can hit the seams with Elvis and Solomon pass rushing from the weak side. But on 1st and 2nd and short yardage, yep, cover 3 is going to be a work in progress for our young corners.

Secondary and coaching.

Thanks for building on that point!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Giedi:

Secondary and coaching.

Meh, screw scouting tendencies. If it's 3rd and long, I'm going quarter defense and lets see if they can hit the seams with Elvis and Solomon pass rushing from the weak side. But on 1st and 2nd and short yardage, yep, cover 3 is going to be a work in progress for our young corners.
Screw scouting tendencies? Why would a defense not scout for tendencies? If Saleh, or any DC, said something like that then fire him right now.
My biggest concern on the evening was the starters on offense starting to slowdown after the first two touchdowns. It felt like the Vikings opened up their playbook to stop the embarrassment, so I hope that's all it is. Still the depth on the O-line is suspect.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

Why does it bother you? He definitely isn't the only QB who has done it and his release is 3 seconds. That is fast.
Maybe Marvin is saying start BeatHard, because he doesn't pat the ball? Or at least BeatHard doesn't annoy him as much as Hoyer does?

It's a bit annoying for me to. It does telegraph to the defense a little bit that he's going to pass before he throws the ball. But it's not a fatal flaw in Hoyer's game. He still has that quick release and does make good reads. If he's not corrected it by now and he's still in the NFL after 8+ years, chances are he's never going to correct it. Most likely the way to correct that, is that an HC just has to get another QB that doesn't do that. (BeatHard! )
He made it for week 3 yay!! And he posted really early! Double yay!!
My big concern is the D inability to tackle. Lot or arm tackles getting broken so far in each of three preseason games

Originally posted by vermonator:
My biggest concern on the evening was the starters on offense starting to slowdown after the first two touchdowns. It felt like the Vikings opened up their playbook to stop the embarrassment, so I hope that's all it is. Still the depth on the O-line is suspect.

Maybe we went more vanilla after the first two drives?
Offense looked great early. Hyde looks real nice as a receiving back. My only real concern was the lack of plays Soloman Thomas isn't making. Guy has been pretty invisible out there the last 2 games.
Excellent post!

Agree on Hoyer - that is a very fast release and should keep him healthy. If patting the ball is his worst fault - we're damn lucky. Also, Bethard played well and also the expectations came down to earth, VERY good rookie w/lots of learning to do.

I thought pass protection was very good and the run blocking was better than last game - still needs improvement.

The play calling was also very good.

The attacking D was sheer pleasure to watch.

If Arron Lynch can play like that all season he'll be worth some bucks.

Totally agree on AA. IMO, he's going to have an excellent season.

I feel the secondary needs a lot of work.

Garcon reminded me AB.

Magnuson [sp] should make the 53.

Still to early buy Foster looks like DROY.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Aug 28, 2017 at 12:12 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
My big concern is the D inability to tackle. Lot or arm tackles getting broken so far in each of three preseason games

Coverage...primarily our CB's. They haven't been jamming the receiver, they have been playing too soft a coverage. Getting beat deep too much and they rarely seem to turn to look for the ball. Teams are going to abuse us with the deep ball if they don't start to figure it out.
Don't forget about Tank Carradine either. He's got Solomon Thomas breathing down his neck and the guy is playing hard. He made a nice play in the 1st quarter to shed an OLineman and stop the runner for a 1 or 2 yard gain. It's nice to see.
Share 49ersWebzone