LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Preseason Game 3 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

2) Foster: Yup. Real Deal. He's got "it" alright. :) All over the field, arrives with force, and he's still just learning. Just wait till he's an experienced vet. Love it.

3) Joe Williams: Call me skeptical on this one. I loved how he looked in game 1 when he looked like he was shot out of a cannon, but I've yet to see him do much more than just run straight into the line. Maybe there was nothing there on his runs last night, but I'm not so sure on him right now. I'm not sure if he is taking himself out of games or what but he seems to be in and out of the game very quickly.

4) Mostert: He looked pretty good last night, but kinda think he's one of those camp guys who gets yards against scrubs but won't make it under the real lights. I think he bought himself more opportunities, but he did play well last night.

5) Garcon: Looked great. He's gonna be leaned on heavily this year so I hope he's in good shape. He gonna get ALOT of targets.

6) Goodwin: IF (big if) he can stay healthy this could be a huge breakout year for him. The combination of his explosive speed and Kyle Shanahans scheming is going to have him break wide open on many occasions this year. Additionally, the THREAT of him and play action are going to open up ALOT of mid range passes all year. LBs and safeties will creep up to stop the run and Goodwin will take the top off the D leaving huge open spaces in the middle. This is all good stuff.

7) Bowman: Still concerned about his lateral speed, but even Bowman as more of a 2 down LB thumping people up the middle is pretty good. It took Crab a few years to get all the way back from the Achilles so maybe Bow has a chance to get all the way back as well. We'll see.

8) Armstead: Starting to really look like a player. He has been a whipping boy on this site for some time from people who just never liked the pick, but he's playing well right now. Only problem is that it difficult to see just exactly how he fits. He's not a classic Elephant (I refuse to call it a Leo). He has shown well when he's had a chance. The entire front 7 for that matter has really looked good.

9) DBs: CB is a concern. Robinson talks a big game but he's getting burned on the regular. With all his bluster its easy to forget that he's just a 2nd year player with only a few starts under his belt and he has a lot of room to grow, but I think CB is going to be a challenging position this year. Witherspoon hasn't shown much of anything yet and nobody is playing lights out. I LOVE the way the safeties look right now, Reid in particular. That role really seems to suit him. We'll see if Ward can be the Earl Thomas of this defense.

10) Two. more. weeks: Can't wait. Regular Season football is nearly upon us.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM ]
Couldnt agree more re: calling it elephant. f**k the leo, thats seattle lingo
Great analysis Marvin
Originally posted by crabman82:
Couldnt agree more re: calling it elephant. f**k the leo, thats seattle lingo

LOL...seriously. It's just shorter.

AA...like last night is going to play every position on the DL.
  • thl408
What'd you think of Breida? If the season started right now, I feel like he's ahead of JWilliams. Brieda runs hard and is decisive. Trent Taylor is fearless over the middle. He went up for a catch knowing he was going to get popped in the back and he did it. Got stung, and popped back up. I also think he brings a little more dazzle on punt returns over Kerley. One one return, I felt like his eyes lit up because he saw a slight opening, but then he slipped on the turf.

The CBs being talked about as a problem, but let's keep in mind they are being asked to learn new techniques. I'm talking mainly about Spoon and RR. Those are man coverage CBs. They did it all throughout college, and RR was doing it last season. Now they are given more 'read the play, then react' type of assignments. Not saying they can't do it, just that they've never been asked to until this season so they are learning.
Originally posted by thl408:
What'd you think of Breida? If the season started right now, I feel like he's ahead of JWilliams. Brieda runs hard and is decisive. Trent Taylor is fearless over the middle. He went up for a catch knowing he was going to get popped in the back and he did it. Got stung, and popped back up. I also think he brings a little more dazzle on punt returns over Kerley. One one return, I felt like his eyes lit up because he saw a slight opening, but then he slipped on the turf.

The CBs being talked about as a problem, but let's keep in mind they are being asked to learn new techniques. I'm talking mainly about Spoon and RR. Those are man coverage CBs. They did it all throughout college, and RR was doing it last season. Now they are given more 'read the play, then react' type of assignments. Not saying they can't do it, just that they've never been asked to until this season so they are learning.

I'm not sure on Brieda but I'm pretty sure he's your RB#2 come the regular season. I don't think Hightower or Bibbs make the team and I think Williams will make the 53 but likely won't play much early. Mostert might make the 53 as well or be a Practice Squad candidate. I could see Mostert being up on game days and Williams inactive because Williams doesn't play much on Special Teams.

It seems that maybe they don't trust him in pass pro as much as Mostert, but can't say that for sure

I like Taylor but that size will always concern me. I think he's a lock for the roster.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM ]
I don't know how many times we gave up that same curl window route. 12-15 yard square in. Weak spot for us right now
Originally posted by suckafree17:
I don't know how many times we gave up that same curl window route. 12-15 yard square in. Weak spot for us right now

Any team got a corner? We have Dial!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by thl408:

I'm not sure on Brieda but I'm pretty sure he's your RB#2 come the regular season. I don't think Hightower or Bibbs make the team and I think Williams will make the 53 but likely won't play much early. Mostert might make the 53 as well or be a Practice Squad candidate. I could see Mostert being up on game days and Williams inactive because Williams doesn't play much on Special Teams.

It seems that maybe they don't trust him in pass pro as much as Mostert, but can't say that for sure

I like Taylor but that size will always concern me. I think he's a lock for the roster.

One thing Breida is excellent at is pass protection too. Spotlight him. He takes a lot of pride in it.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by suckafree17:

Any team got a corner? We have Dial!

That hole is scheme...who do you blame? The CB? ILB? S? ...all three?

Originally posted by NCommand:

Secondary and coaching.
Don't forget about Reid. He was laying the wood all night.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Secondary and coaching.

Yeah, every scheme has holes but I'm glad this one was known now. They really need to work on it.
Hyde played a blinder. Both our starting O and D played very well. Dont care about the 2nd half.
Originally posted by English:
Hyde played a blinder. Both our starting O and D played very well. Dont care about the 2nd half.

Preseason is meaningless, but if there is one game you want to be hitting on all cylinders, this was it. The 3rd preseason game.

It was encouraging to see but likely has little to do with what to expect come September. For me its all about individual player progression and I saw some of that.
Share 49ersWebzone