There are 225 users in the forums

Preseason 2017: 49ers vs Vikings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
are you going to just completely ignore the change in scheme and the line in front of him? for once we can pass block better than we can run block.

Im not worried

so many people blather about schemes but thats just another excuse for hyde. he stutter steps and dances around no matter the scheme.

wont argue with that. but I still see us losing 1 on 1 blocks more than before. we need frank for this scheme
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I do agree with CC that I wish we would have brought in some veteran presence at CB. Too little experience there. Not necessarily saying break the bank for Bouye but some veteran leadership there would have been nice.

Hope we pick someone up after final cuts next week

IIRC we tried hard on a few but couldn't win the bidding war.

Which is smart, we need to much and have to far to go to spend like that just yet. That kind of spending is for when your one stud away from making the show, not when you are building the foundations.
i never said break the bank for anyone like they did with smith who is now hurt. i just say what is the harm about bringing in a vet who is a good locker room guy who is at least respectable. i think its a big need on the team

TBF, CB's are effing expensive and as a FA, would you come to a 2-win defense that was historically bad and didn't even have a DC yet...let alone a known DC?

It sounds like we were in the running but couldn't secure, which honestly, should be expected.

You saw the opposite on the offensive side...FA's were lining up to sign to play in Kyle's system.

Remember how close we were to signing Sean Smith last year and lost him to the Raiders for $10M+? That dude is about to go to jail for 7 years!

Imagine your rage in this one. LOL
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
TBF, CB's are effing expensive and as a FA, would you come to a 2-win defense that was historically bad and didn't even have a DC yet...let alone a known DC?

It sounds like we were in the running but couldn't secure, which honestly, should be expected.

You saw the opposite on the offensive side...FA's were lining up to sign to play in Kyle's system.

Remember how close we were to signing Sean Smith last year and lost him to the Raiders for $10M+? That dude is about to go to jail for 7 years!

where did i say about breaking the bank for anyone. i have been told that everyone wants to play for lynch and for kyle so it should not be to hard to attract a respectable free agent vet cornerback to come to our team. if one were to become available

where did i say about breaking the bank for anyone. i have been told that everyone wants to play for lynch and for kyle so it should not be to hard to attract a respectable free agent vet cornerback to come to our team. if one were to become available

It's implied. IF you want a top veteran CB you're paying $10-14M esp. to come here. If you can't get a top notch CB in here, you might as well draft one and see if 1 or 2 of the 3 pan out and develop properly over the year. If only one pans out THEN you break the bank for one next off season esp. if that's just 1 of 2 pieces you're really missing to take your defense to the next level.

The hope is at least 1 will develop nicely and lock down a spot.

It's a rebuild, year 1. We might as well find out what we have. I'm sure they'll take their lumps too.

If last game is an indication, we'll probably give up some yards (bend) but tighten up in the RZ (not break often). 0 points in the first half last game and v their QB was damn near perfect.

And that's sound as long as the offense continues to put up points. We've had that philosophy before.

But clearly, we all share your concerns about the backend of the defense!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2017 at 8:28 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by thl408:

The catches being made in front of the outside CBs is something that needs to be improved on. It's a byproduct of the scheme that asks the CBs to stay over the top of the outside WRs. Those outside CBs need to do a better job of reading the QB and knowing when a QB will throw that comeback so that they can break on the throw and give themselves a chance to play the ball. It's another adjustment to something they've rarely been asked to do, if ever - bail and read the play/QB.

Yea, I think there's a common misconception about our defense, and this defense scheme in general, that the CBs are asked to play primarily press man as opposed to press and bail. The play of our secondary was certainly worrisome, but by design this is an opportunistic defense. Stop The run and stay over the top of the WR to prevent the big play on 3rd and long. Let interceptions and timely sacks be the difference.

Need to see a better job of our corners staying in front of the WR, getting their head around, and making a play on the ball

We are pretty much playing a single high man coverage. There's nobody behind those CB to help them out so they are not about to begin jumping on 12 yard curls. The underneath coverage (LB's) need to get in better position as well to make the throw tougher. Without Ward, we don't have a fast enough FS for this.
My post, and adrianlesnar's post, are about them playing zone, particularly deep 1/3. 49ers have played lots of Cover3 this preseason and throughout training camp (Kyle's words). So it's about the CB playing with over the top positioning, not allowing the WR to get behind them on any vertical routes, but also close enough where they give themselves a chance to play a Curl/Comeback.

It's implied. IF you want a top veteran CB you're paying $10-14M esp. to come here. If you can't get a top notch CB in here, you might as well draft one and see if 1 or 2 of the 3 pan out and develop properly over the year. If only one pans out THEN you break the bank for one next off season esp. if that's just 1 of 2 pieces you're really missing to take your defense to the next level.

The hope is at least 1 will develop nicely and lock down a spot.

It's a rebuild, year 1. We might as well find out what we have. I'm sure they'll take their lumps too.

If last game is an indication, we'll probably give up some yards (bend) but tighten up in the RZ (not break often). 0 points in the first half last game and v their QB was damn near perfect.

And that's sound as long as the offense continues to put up points. We've had that philosophy before.

But clearly, we all share your concerns about the backend of the defense!

Nice post papi.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Nice post papi.

Thanks son.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Nice post papi.

Thanks son.

Nobody loves the bend but dont break but if the 1st half goes like it did against the Vikes, ill take it lol.

Gives 3rd downs that much more of the nailbiting affect lol. s**t is fun, youre on your seat every drive.

Remember how shaky we came out against the Rams last year when Blaine on the opening drive threw at someones feet like oh please god....dont let it be lol.
Share 49ersWebzone