LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

Week 1 Preseason: What rookie impressed you the most out of the following?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Week 1 Preseason: What rookie impressed you the most out of the following?

Originally posted by PacTiger:
Difficult to pick only one. We can easily add Taylor to the list. He was getting ridiculous separation.

His footwork at the line of scrimmage is insane
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Anyone keep an eye on Lorenzo Jerome? He's had an active camp but I didn't notice much during the game.

Jerome played very well IMO. Had a few key tackles and def made his presence known in the middle of the field. i think he may have missed a tackle as well (not broken, just missed the player)

Got run tf over on the opening td. Played pretty well in centerfield, but he doesn't have the speed to be the sideline-to-sideline safety net that Thomas is/Ward should be.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Anyone keep an eye on Lorenzo Jerome? He's had an active camp but I didn't notice much during the game.

Jerome played very well IMO. Had a few key tackles and def made his presence known in the middle of the field. i think he may have missed a tackle as well (not broken, just missed the player)

Got run tf over on the opening td. Played pretty well in centerfield, but he doesn't have the speed to be the sideline-to-sideline safety net that Thomas is/Ward should be.

Thought his anticipation made up for his speed. But I guess in the NFL that's a little more difficult since QB's throw receivers open more and freeze the safeties more.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Thought his anticipation made up for his speed. But I guess in the NFL that's a little more difficult since QB's throw receivers open more and freeze the safeties more.

Yeah, "sideline to sideline" is a really rare trait, and one I doubt Ward has either. If the 49ers wanted that, their best option was to draft Malik Hooker. He has that. For the most part, you want your deep safety to cover the seams. That first play of the KC game, as an example, isn't on Jerome. Robinson needed to land that jam, or climb over Hill, or both. He did neither. That deep sideline pass is tough for a deep safety to cover.
PFF Ratings for those who care:

2017 Preseason Week 1 - Team of the Week

Wide receiver: Kendrick Bourne, San Francisco 49ers, 87.0 overall grade

Bourne showed Friday night that Cooper Kupp is not the only talented rookie receiver to come out of Eastern Washington, catching four balls for 88 yards and a touchdown. He had a 141.4 passer rating when targeted, and caught both deep passes thrown his way for 66 yards. Bourne only ran 14 routes, but was targeted on seven of them and finished with an average of 6.29 yards per route run.

Center: Erik Magnuson, San Francisco 49ers, 82.7 overall grade

The 49ers rushed for 188 yards as a team, thanks in part to Magnuson and his 85.4 run block grade. The undrafted rookie free agent out of Michigan played 39-of-79 snaps and was the only 49ers offensive lineman to finish with an overall grade above 72.0. Also, on his 13 pass block snaps, Magnuson did not allow a quarterback pressure.

FLEX: Matt Breida, San Francisco 49ers, 83.6 overall grade

Breida, who's 26 snaps were the most of any 49ers running back, did most of his damage running up the gut of the defense. His six missed tackles forced were the most of any running back this week, and all of which were on attempts run between the guards, and out of his 40 yards rushing, 25 came after contact. Breida chipped in a couple receptions as well, and did not allow a pressure on his three pass block snaps.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-preseason-week-1-team-of-the-week
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
PFF Ratings for those who care:

2017 Preseason Week 1 - Team of the Week

Wide receiver: Kendrick Bourne, San Francisco 49ers, 87.0 overall grade

Bourne showed Friday night that Cooper Kupp is not the only talented rookie receiver to come out of Eastern Washington, catching four balls for 88 yards and a touchdown. He had a 141.4 passer rating when targeted, and caught both deep passes thrown his way for 66 yards. Bourne only ran 14 routes, but was targeted on seven of them and finished with an average of 6.29 yards per route run.

Center: Erik Magnuson, San Francisco 49ers, 82.7 overall grade

The 49ers rushed for 188 yards as a team, thanks in part to Magnuson and his 85.4 run block grade. The undrafted rookie free agent out of Michigan played 39-of-79 snaps and was the only 49ers offensive lineman to finish with an overall grade above 72.0. Also, on his 13 pass block snaps, Magnuson did not allow a quarterback pressure.

FLEX: Matt Breida, San Francisco 49ers, 83.6 overall grade

Breida, who's 26 snaps were the most of any 49ers running back, did most of his damage running up the gut of the defense. His six missed tackles forced were the most of any running back this week, and all of which were on attempts run between the guards, and out of his 40 yards rushing, 25 came after contact. Breida chipped in a couple receptions as well, and did not allow a pressure on his three pass block snaps.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-preseason-week-1-team-of-the-week

Thanks for posting. All three of the above did well IMO. I was surprised to see Magnuson at C for much of the 2nd Half...he looked good there! I know Tim Ryan mentioned he might not have called out the right protection on a sack the Chiefs had - makes sense as he learns more about the position. I didn't pay attention to him last year at Michigan so not sure if he played any C, but with his versatility along the OL and should he keep playing well, he could definitely be in consideration for the final 53.
Read this article but didn't pay attention as to how he performed. D.J. Jones.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/26310/after-stint-at-last-chance-u-d-j-jones-making-most-of-his-biggest-opportunity

Didnt seem to miss one when i was tuned it. Made a couple sweet missile Earl Thomas like tackles taking out their quads/legs and forced a fumble on one...

Hell get more aggressive and better in coverage as the games go IMO.

Didnt know that Jerome was actually the 100th player on Mayocks top 100 big board. Mayock knows his ish too.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Thanks for posting. All three of the above did well IMO. I was surprised to see Magnuson at C for much of the 2nd Half...he looked good there! I know Tim Ryan mentioned he might not have called out the right protection on a sack the Chiefs had - makes sense as he learns more about the position. I didn't pay attention to him last year at Michigan so not sure if he played any C, but with his versatility along the OL and should he keep playing well, he could definitely be in consideration for the final 53.

Magnuson is a player predraft I was hoping we'd get, and that was before ever thinking he could fill in at center. He can definitely be valuable, having the versatility to backup any of the 5 spots.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Magnuson is a player predraft I was hoping we'd get, and that was before ever thinking he could fill in at center. He can definitely be valuable, having the versatility to backup any of the 5 spots.

This. And to answer the question above, I believe he spent most of his time at tackle in college

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

This. And to answer the question above, I believe he spent most of his time at tackle in college

Former tackles tend to make the best guards.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
apparently erik magnuson graded out as one of the best guards in week 1.

I wanted us to draft Magnuson in the 7th, I was glad we signed him. I think he fits the offense nicely, potentially could start on this line at some point this year.
Share 49ersWebzone