LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 185 users in the forums

49ers sign WR Louis Murphy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Former Raider Louis Murphy and Utah undrafted free agent Tim Patrick were signed on Monday. Linebacker Jimmie Gilbert (ACL) and wide receiver B.J. Johnson III (hamstring) were released. Both were undrafted free agents.

It's surprising the 49ers chose to claim two receivers. The position has been pretty loaded in training camp. Even back end rotation players — Aldrick Robinson, Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne and Victor Boulden Jr. — have had strong starts to training camp.

I felt this deserved it's own thread, don't know much about Murphy only that he use to play for the Raiders. Is he any good?
I'm glad we are signing a big bodied WR. Kerley, Goodwin, Taylor, and Aldrick Robinson are all shorter than 6ft. Leaving Garcon the tallest on the team.
Bring back Boldin!
Camp fodder.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Bring back Boldin!

Signed with Buffalo and too slow for Shanahan's offense.
I agree with heroism here.

WR will likely come early in next years draft. I would expect in the first or second rounds to take a big bodied WR.

Unless we are able to make a splash with a trade, which i dont see happening, we will roll with what we have, and there will be very few surprises at WR IMO.

Garcon/Kerley/goodwin/Taylor looks to be where we will see the most targets head, as well as Kittle and which ever RB separate in the passing game.

I dont see any additions at this point making any major contributions.
Super Bowl here we come!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

WR will likely come early in next years draft. I would expect in the first or second rounds to take a big bodied WR.

Unless we are able to make a splash with a trade, which i dont see happening, we will roll with what we have, and there will be very few surprises at WR IMO.

Garcon/Kerley/goodwin/Taylor looks to be where we will see the most targets head, as well as Kittle and which ever RB separate in the passing game.

I think it will be:

1. Garcon
2. Goodwin
3. Kerley or Robinson
4. Robinson or Kerley
5. Taylor
6a. Bourne
6b. Carter
6c. Murphy
All this guy seems to do is get hurt... Camp fodder.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
meh

Originally posted by Kolohe:

I think it will be:

1. Garcon
2. Goodwin
3. Kerley or Robinson
4. Robinson or Kerley
5. Taylor
6a. Bourne
6b. Carter
6c. Murphy

Bourne and Carter i havent heard much about. Interesting. Do like Murphys size and experience. Good completion for the last spot along with Bolden,Ellington,Smelter,Burbridge and the new guy whose Joe Williams ex team mate from Utah that has size as well.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 1, 2017 at 1:14 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Never heard of him.
hopefully d smelter can step up .dorial green beckham would be a nice addition.if lynch can take a chance on joe Williams why not dorial ?
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
hopefully d smelter can step up .dorial green beckham would be a nice addition.if lynch can take a chance on joe Williams why not dorial ?

Because he's lazy and a terrible route runner. Williams has talent, skill, and a logical reason explaining his red flag. DGB only has talent.

I'll take Kirk in the first

That said I wouldn't be surprised if we hit up OL earlier (if we get Kirk/Jimmy G)
Share 49ersWebzone