LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

49ers - Beat Writer's Training Camp

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's been a long offseason and finally the pads come on, iPads that is. This week we look at which journalists have what it takes to make it as a top 49ers beat writer.

Veteran Matt Maiocco still holds his top position firmly, but rival Matt Burrows keeps creeping up. Is this the year Burrows finally overtakes him and gets the monkey off his back? Stay tuned.

Don't overlook Dark Horse candidate Cam Inman, his contributions over the years have been undeniable and could surpass both reporters with a career year.

Scrappy reporter, Chris Biderman shows he's no slouch either. After missing on a couple leads early in the offseason, Biderman has been sharp ever since and has established himself as a mainstay in the locker room.

Dependable Eric Branch always seems to find his way to our desktops. Branch may reside in the shadows, but he calls it like he sees it and doesn't BS in the process. I would expect more of the same throughout training camp.

Our own Al Sacco, what can I say? He has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe a little bit of a homer at times, but he has the talent to be one of the great ones. As we have witnessed all to well however, talent isn't always enough, he needs to put in the work and get tougher and show some swagger. I expect some ups and downs this camp as he continues his maturation.

The young and once promising Grant Cohn however, continues to disappoint. He has the pedigree, but his immaturity and lack of vision have hindered his development. The sudden release of long time veteran reporter, Tim Kawakami shows that this fan base has zero tolerance for that type of obsolete, doom and gloom reporting. The younger Cohn needs to take off the diapers and change his viewpoints; otherwise he may find himself on the outside looking in.

Other notable reporters of interest…

Kevin Jones

Mindi Bach

Nick Wagoner

Kevin Lynch

Rob Lowder

Ray Ratto
[ Edited by vermonator on Aug 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM ]
Don't forget the Beastwriter
LMAO...well done!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

LOL I can't stand that guy
All the negative guys are hacks and the positive guys are legit reporters.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

LOL I can't stand that guy

I'm not high on the guy but I like his access to camp and the vids he posts
In this camp you are the GM!

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Only negative guy got booted and the only one left is predicting a 9-7 season (Cohn). Sorry dude...gonna be a tough year for you with all this positive talk. LOL.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Only negative guy got booted and the only one left is predicting a 9-7 season (Cohn). Sorry dude...gonna be a tough year for you with all this positive talk. LOL.

Lol. Actually id like to see someone write negative stuff right now besides Grant. Concerns is one thing. On the first day of pads to be outright negative sounds silly-ish to me as an A-dult lolz.
  • thl408
Add Kevin Jones from KNBR. He adds good stuff here and there.

The two Matts--Maiocco and Barrows--are far and away the most knowledgeable and informed beat writers. I've been surprised to read how much of the game Barrows knows.
Originally posted by thl408:

Great call...he's been really good.
Originally posted by Heroism:
The two Matts--Maiocco and Barrows--are far and away the most knowledgeable and informed beat writers. I've been surprised to read how much of the game Barrows knows.

Yup. Easy.
Originally posted by vermonator:
It's been a long offseason and finally the pads come on, iPads that is. This week we look at which journalists have what it takes to make it as a top 49ers beat writer.

Veteran Matt Maiocco still holds his top position firmly, but rival Matt Burrows keeps creeping up. Is this the year Burrows finally overtakes him and gets the monkey off his back? Stay tuned.

Don't overlook Dark Horse candidate Cam Inman, his contributions over the years have been undeniable and could surpass both reporters with a career year.

Scrappy reporter, Chris Biderman shows he's no slouch either. After missing on a couple leads early in the offseason, Biderman has been sharp ever since and has established himself as a mainstay in the locker room.

Dependable Eric Branch always seems to find his way to our desktops. Branch may reside in the shadows, but he calls it like he sees it and doesn't BS in the process. I would expect more of the same throughout training camp.

Our own Al Sacco, what can I say? He has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe a little bit of a homer at times, but he has the talent to be one of the great ones. As we have witnessed all to well however, talent isn't always enough, he needs to put in the work and get tougher and show some swagger. I expect some ups and downs this camp as he continues his maturation.

The young and once promising Grant Cohn however, continues to disappoint. He has the pedigree, but his immaturity and lack of vision have hindered his development. The sudden release of long time veteran reporter, Tim Kawakami shows that this fan base has zero tolerance for that type of obsolete, doom and gloom reporting. The younger Cohn needs to take off the diapers and change his viewpoints; otherwise he may find himself on the outside looking in.

Other notable reporters of interest…

Mindi Bach

Kevin Lynch

Rob Lowder

Ray Ratto

Oh don't forget the greatest football journalist known to mankind in the history of the world, the beady-eyed weasel Grant Cohn.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:

Great call...he's been really good.

For sure, just read his latest. I like his sharp edgy style. He's not afraid to give his opinion, but he's not a douchebag about it either.
Share 49ersWebzone