There are 249 users in the forums

2017 Camp Battles!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Elvis, Pita, Brooks, Watson, Lynch, Tank...man, out of that crew, one would think someone would hit. Or two. It's not like we don't have ANY talent. Now it's just a matter of who hits. And it will be more than one.
Aaron Lynch vs the scale.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Elvis, Pita, Brooks, Watson, Lynch, Tank...man, out of that crew, one would think someone would hit. Or two. It's not like we don't have ANY talent. Now it's just a matter of who hits. And it will be more than one.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if our interior pass rush (Thomas/Blair/Buckner) ends up be far stronger than our edge rushers.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Over/under 280?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I'm looking for a pass rusher to come out of training camp. If we don't get a pass rusher, it's going to be a long year. Reuben, Solomon and Pita, I'm hoping will step up.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I'm looking for a pass rusher to come out of training camp. If we don't get a pass rusher, it's going to be a long year. Reuben, Solomon and Pita, I'm hoping will step up.

ER is easily our most important find in this defense...this and FS (Ward).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, it takes DB's that can cover and ER that can pass rush to have a complete elite pass defense. Look at what happened to the Falcons in the super bowl last year.

I think more than anything we need to be able to stop the run. We saw last year what happens to a defense when that inability is accentuated. After that, I agree it's rushing the QB. If those two things fall in line than as proven time and again in the NFL, no matter how average your back end coverage players are, they will look otherwise.
Pass rush will be a battle but the RB and TE competitions should interesting. The RB group has 5 guys who should impress.
QB: C.J. Beathard vs. Matt Barkley for #2
RB1: Carlos Hyde vs. Tim Hightower vs. Kapri Bibbs
RB2: Joe Williams vs. Matt Breida
TE: Vance McDonald vs. George Kittle vs. Cole Hikutini vs. Logan Paulsen
XWR: Marquise Goodwin vs. Aldrick Robinson vs. Victor Bolden vs. DeAndre Smelter
YWR: Jeremy Kerley vs. Trent Taylor
LG: Joshua Garnett vs. Zane Beadles
C: Jeremy Zuttah vs. Daniel Kilgore
RG: Brandon Fusco vs. Tim Barnes
ROT: Trenton Brown vs. Gary Gilliam

LDE: Solomon Thomas vs. Tank Carradine
NT: Earl Mitchell vs. D.J. Jones
RDT: DeForest Buckner vs. Ronald Blair vs. Chris Jones vs. Quinton Dial
RDE: Arik Armstead vs. Elvis Dumervil vs. Aaron Lynch vs. Pita Taumoepenu
SAM: Ahmad Brooks vs. Eli Harold vs. Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Navarro Bowman vs. Ray-Ray Armstrong
WILL: Malcolm Smith vs. Reuben Foster
RCB: Dontae Johnson vs. Ahkello Witherspoon vs. Keith Reaser
S/CB: K'Waun Williams vs. Will Redmond
FS: Jimmie Ward vs. Lorenzo Jerome
SS: Eric Reid vs. Jaquiski Tartt

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

I think more than anything we need to be able to stop the run. We saw last year what happens to a defense when that inability is accentuated. After that, I agree it's rushing the QB. If those two things fall in line than as proven time and again in the NFL, no matter how average your back end coverage players are, they will look otherwise.

Oh, as a unit, I fully agree. In fact Saleh noted that as his #1 priority.

I was just referencing the specific defensive skill positions.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Pass rush will be a battle but the RB and TE competitions should interesting. The RB group has 5 guys who should impress.

Yeah, those two are going to be a blast to watch.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
QB: C.J. Beathard vs. Matt Barkley for #2
RB1: Carlos Hyde vs. Tim Hightower vs. Kapri Bibbs
RB2: Joe Williams vs. Matt Breida
TE: Vance McDonald vs. George Kittle vs. Cole Hikutini vs. Logan Paulsen
XWR: Marquise Goodwin vs. Aldrick Robinson vs. Victor Bolden vs. DeAndre Smelter
YWR: Jeremy Kerley vs. Trent Taylor
LG: Joshua Garnett vs. Zane Beadles
C: Jeremy Zuttah vs. Daniel Kilgore
RG: Brandon Fusco vs. Tim Barnes
ROT: Trenton Brown vs. Gary Gilliam

LDE: Solomon Thomas vs. Tank Carradine
NT: Earl Mitchell vs. D.J. Jones
RDT: DeForest Buckner vs. Ronald Blair vs. Chris Jones vs. Quinton Dial
RDE: Arik Armstead vs. Elvis Dumervil vs. Aaron Lynch vs. Pita Taumoepenu
SAM: Ahmad Brooks vs. Eli Harold vs. Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Navarro Bowman vs. Ray-Ray Armstrong
WILL: Malcolm Smith vs. Reuben Foster
RCB: Dontae Johnson vs. Ahkello Witherspoon vs. Keith Reaser
S/CB: K'Waun Williams vs. Will Redmond
FS: Jimmie Ward vs. Lorenzo Jerome
SS: Eric Reid vs. Jaquiski Tartt

Damn...agree with it all save for Reaser but in off coverage, I could make an argument for him winning that starting spot.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

For me how they sort out everybody's role on the defensive line is a big one. You also nailed it on the tight ends. I think Paulsen is a lock. The team targeted him on day one of free agency. He is experienced in Kyle's system.

So it comes down to probably two spots between the others. Will the young unheralded rookies prevail and force guys like Celek and more importantly McDonald off the roster, where the team will be willing to eat his dead cap hit...or, is this the year McDonald finally puts it all together consistently under who is probably his best tight ends coach since he entered the NFL in Embree.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jul 27, 2017 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Over/under 280?

I will take the under...
Share 49ersWebzone