LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

2017 Camp Battles!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I want to see a Smith vs Brooks battle for the SAM. Partly because I'd be pissed if Reuben is healthy and not starting

Per Saleh this will be an "under" defense where the SAM will have their hand in the dirt 70 percent of the time. This is not part of Smith's game. He doesn't have the strength or size to seal the edge. Smith's experience within the scheme will add valuable depth as a WILL or MIKE, even if he fails to grab a starting spot. It's a good problem to have.

This is my big one. Edge Rushers. I think we could have excellent base run down ends but whoever steps up as an edge rusher, first and foremost, is going to get a truck load of snaps focused solely on just that.

That means players like Elvis, Pita, Tank, Thomas, Lynch, Brooks, Watson, etc. could have very specialized roles and push some base players off the roster.

For instance, Brooks at SAM. If Elvis seems to have captured his youth and locks down LEO with the AA/Elvis duo, that could have ramifications.

So what about Lynch? Now the coaches may move him over to SAM to compete with Brooks and Harold and maybe, Pita.

From there, will the coaches do a duo SAM role there as well or want a guy there full time? Hell, they may like Thomas predominately inside at the 3T like Shaw noted was best for him and then on passing downs, slide him outside to be a left end edge rusher and that would eliminate the need for an additional left end (SAM) edge rusher.

I mean, these are going to be some hard decisions to make!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 26, 2017 at 9:19 AM ]
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
RB:I for one think Williams should be in RB1 discussions and I'll be curious to see if he can surplant Hyde.... Hearing he has the vision and we know he is much quicker n faster but can he pound for extra yards and is he %100 committed..

Yeah, Kyle is big on the two headed monster, typically having a RB1 power primary back and a shiftier, quicker, faster, pass catching RB2. Hyde+Williams seem to fit that to a tee. But, if Williams is so effective, he certainly has a license to become an RB1. Hyde can't move to the RB2 though so he has to win that job.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 26, 2017 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by titan:
I'm pulling for Tartt

Tartt (SS), Garnett (LG), Harold (Edge rusher), Brown (zone stretch), Ward (FS) and Smelter (ZWR) having a ton of success would be huge for us and our future.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm pulling for Tartt

Tartt (SS), Garnett (LG), Harold (Edge rusher), Brown (zone stretch), Ward (FS) and Smelter (ZWR) having a ton of success would be huge for us and our future.
IF he can get it figured out, Tartt, IMO would be better for that in-the-box safety role than Reid. Plus, he'd be cheaper over the next 3 years.
I want to see a Smith vs Brooks battle for the SAM. Partly because I'd be pissed if Reuben is healthy and not starting

Per Saleh this will be an "under" defense where the SAM will have their hand in the dirt 70 percent of the time. This is not part of Smith's game. He doesn't have the strength or size to seal the edge. Smith's experience within the scheme will add valuable depth as a WILL or MIKE, even if he fails to grab a starting spot. It's a good problem to have.

This is my big one. Edge Rushers. I think we could have excellent base run down ends but whoever steps up as an edge rusher, first and foremost, is going to get a truck load of snaps focused solely on just that.

That means players like Elvis, Pita, Tank, Thomas, Lynch, Brooks, Watson, etc. could have very specialized roles and push some base players off the roster.

For instance, Brooks at SAM. If Elvis seems to have captured his youth and locks down LEO with the AA/Elvis duo, that could have ramifications.

So what about Lynch? Now the coaches may move him over to SAM to compete with Brooks and Harold and maybe, Pita.

From there, will the coaches do a duo SAM role there as well or want a guy there full time? Hell, they may like Thomas predominately inside at the 3T like Shaw noted was best for him and then on passing downs, slide him outside to be a left end edge rusher and that would eliminate the need for an additional left end (SAM) edge rusher.

Yeah, with the 4-3 "under" it's really not too dissimilar to a base 3-4. Most of it is semantics and less multi-role positions. I remember in Aldon's 2nd year there were articles about if we were a 4-3 "under" or a 3-4, because Aldon was a dedicated pass rusher. That made our D much more like the George Seiffert "under" defense.

That being said, that makes your SAM backer pretty much an OLB in a 3-4 defense as far as measurables and skill sets go. It's also why you saw Bruce Irvin go to the Raiders when they were playing a 4-3 "under" for most of last season, but then they switched to more of a 3-4 later in the year. BTW, it's also worth noting that the D-coor for the Raiders is Ken Norton jr who played under George Seiffert with his 4-3 "under".
I don't believe these are battles. I consider these near locks aside from injuries:

RB1: Carlos Hyde vs. Tim Hightower vs. Kapri Bibbs - it is either Hyde or Williams if he outperforms Hyde, doesn't fumble and can pass protect. If he does then we trade Hyde.

YWR: Jeremy Kerley vs. Trent Taylor - Kerley all the way. Taylor will not have the veteran savvyness yet.

NT: Earl Mitchell vs. D.J. Jones - Mitchell easily. Big money and more experience. Jones may even end up on practice squad. And I don't expect him to be picked up from p. squad because a lot of other teams have DTs they are trying to groom also.

RDT: DeForest Buckner vs. Ronald Blair vs. Chris Jones vs. Quinton Dial - potentially our best defensive player in a battle? Not likely.

MIKE: Navarro Bowman vs. Ray-Ray Armstrong - It is either Bowman or Foster here. Ray-Ray may even be cut.

FS: Jimmie Ward vs. Lorenzo Jerome - It is either practice squad or backup for Jerome. Nothing higher.

SS: Eric Reid vs. Jaquiski Tartt - Tartt has the athleticism but not the awareness to start. He will be best used in package plays and a swiss army knife.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'm pulling for Tartt

IF he can get it figured out, Tartt, IMO would be better for that in-the-box safety role than Reid. Plus, he'd be cheaper over the next 3 years.

That's exactly why I picked those guys... best for our future if they do reach their potential.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Yeah, with the 4-3 "under" it's really not too dissimilar to a base 3-4. Most of it is semantics and less multi-role positions. I remember in Aldon's 2nd year there were articles about if we were a 4-3 "under" or a 3-4, because Aldon was a dedicated pass rusher. That made our D much more like the George Seiffert "under" defense.

That being said, that makes your SAM backer pretty much an OLB in a 3-4 defense as far as measurables and skill sets go. It's also why you saw Bruce Irvin go to the Raiders when they were playing a 4-3 "under" for most of last season, but then they switched to more of a 3-4 later in the year. BTW, it's also worth noting that the D-coor for the Raiders is Ken Norton jr who played under George Seiffert with his 4-3 "under".

Exactly, and with the SAM (or someone rushing from that left side predominantly), what are your thoughts on how things may pan out as edge rushers opposite of Elvis at LEO?
Let's get it on!
Who do yall think the top 3 cuts are that youll have to take a few shots to get over?

NC and Willis said you cant make comments about marijuana anymore...

Which reminds of one of my favorite quotes from one of the Matt's that ill never forget;

"Marijuana smoke is in the air.. Its official 49ers football is back"

I remember when i went to a game in 2012 against the dolphins and a dude in front of me legit hit a blunt a few times and nobody even looked at him.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jul 26, 2017 at 8:39 PM ]

Hyde vs Williams?
"Iron sharpens Iron"!!
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Who do yall think the top 3 cuts are that youll have to take a few shots to get over?

Which reminds of one of my favorite quotes from one of the Matt's that ill never forget;

I remember when i went to a game in 2012 against the dolphins and a dude in front of me legit hit a blunt a few times and nobody even looked at him.

Lol...
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jul 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM ]

Lol...

Lmk when you got that match.com account ready to go for me

LOL at the last comment.

Hmmmm, honestly, probably nobody. But you're right, every year, there is a surprise cut.

I don't think it will happen but a shocker would be Lynch. ShanaLynch want players who are 100% committed to football and football 24-7. And where does he play now with AA/ED combo at LEO?
Share 49ersWebzone