There are 294 users in the forums

The Iron-Pyrite-Lining Thread (Negative people come on in!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
I agree, next year should be strictly to position ourselves in the draft to get our FQB.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! !

Losers do that.

Next year should be teaching, learning, and perfecting the offense, showing a ton of fight and spunk, getting the wheels starting to dig in and winning several games above our weight level, and becoming the desirable team to join.

Go Niners !
[ Edited by BOI49er on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yup got to have patience

yup, everyone wants a FQB and I get it but sometimes there's just not one to be had in the draft. Reaching at 2 would have been one of the worst things we could have done IMO. We need talent everywhere and can't afford to throw a pick away. I'll take the safer pick all day with what we have

We will see, I think they'll win a couple more games than people are thinking...the Jet's are in full blown tank mode at least the have a plan lol .

Seriously...if the guy known for his offensive genius doesn't want a certain QB with a huge need at the position then I'll certainly take his opinion over most people...let alone a guy on webzone.

I understand that you can't predict where you pick the following season or know who will be available but it's a calculated risk and a smart one IMO.

Drafting a QB just because you need one even when you don't trust he can be great is a major no no. THAT is a sign of bad management and lack of vision.

Even if we're not picking top 10 I see no way we're picking lower than top 20. Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk are likely to be available. I'd take either guy over Trubisky...especially because it also means we got Solomon Thomas and extra picks. Extra picks which btw could be used to trade up.

Not to mention every year QBs come out of nowhere to rise in the draft. Jarrett Stidham could be in for a big climb. Nick Fitzgerald could have a big year and jump up...happens all the time.

And like I said before with the contracts of Garoppolo and Cousins expiring...it's certainly a chance one of them actually hits free agency.
Originally posted by BOI49er:

Losers do that.

Next year should be teaching, learning, and perfecting the offense, showing a ton of fight and spunk, getting the wheels starting to dig in and winning several games above our weight level, and becoming the desirable team to join.

Go Niners !

I would love for us to draft the next elite QB but whatever happens happens. The best QB in this game was a 6th round pick. Granted it's not something you want to take as "only 6th round picks should be QBs" but it shows you don't always need a top 3 pick to find those greats. Hell Joe was a 3rd rounder.

Whatever the case hopefully we find our QB of the future soon because long term success will not happen without one but I'm certainly not going to cry because we didn't draft Trubisky...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree, next year should be strictly to position ourselves in the draft to get our FQB.

Losers do that.

Go Niners !

It's going to happen whether you like or not.
This thread is stupid.

Losers do that.

Go Niners !

It's going to happen whether you like or not.

No, it's not. Kyle Shanahan has made Every quarterback he's worked with better. What people don't appreciate, because it almost never happens, is veteran quarterbacks want to move to join him. He will never need to gamble very high draft picks on dubious candidates. He'll attract veterans while he develops a 3rd rounder like Beathard, or a fourth rounder like Cousins, just like Bill Walsh developed a 3rd rounder like Montana, and Belichick developed a 6th rounder like Brady.

Weak coaches need to gamble. We don't, and won't.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
No, it's not. Kyle Shanahan has made Every quarterback he's worked with better. What people don't appreciate, because it almost never happens, is veteran quarterbacks want to move to join him. He will never need to gamble very high draft picks on dubious candidates. He'll attract veterans while he develops a 3rd rounder like Beathard, or a fourth rounder like Cousins, just like Bill Walsh developed a 3rd rounder like Montana, and Belichick developed a 6th rounder like Brady.

I think we can still accomplish all that you listed and still get a good draft slot for a QB of the future.
Originally posted by genus49:
Yup got to have patience

yup, everyone wants a FQB and I get it but sometimes there's just not one to be had in the draft. Reaching at 2 would have been one of the worst things we could have done IMO. We need talent everywhere and can't afford to throw a pick away. I'll take the safer pick all day with what we have

We will see, I think they'll win a couple more games than people are thinking...the Jet's are in full blown tank mode at least the have a plan lol .

Seriously...if the guy known for his offensive genius doesn't want a certain QB with a huge need at the position then I'll certainly take his opinion over most people...let alone a guy on webzone.

I understand that you can't predict where you pick the following season or know who will be available but it's a calculated risk and a smart one IMO.

Drafting a QB just because you need one even when you don't trust he can be great is a major no no. THAT is a sign of bad management and lack of vision.

Even if we're not picking top 10 I see no way we're picking lower than top 20. Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk are likely to be available. I'd take either guy over Trubisky...especially because it also means we got Solomon Thomas and extra picks. Extra picks which btw could be used to trade up.

Not to mention every year QBs come out of nowhere to rise in the draft. Jarrett Stidham could be in for a big climb. Nick Fitzgerald could have a big year and jump up...happens all the time.

And like I said before with the contracts of Garoppolo and Cousins expiring...it's certainly a chance one of them actually hits free agency.

Agree with everything you said

Because of that trade down we ended up with Solomon, foster, a 2nd/3rd next yr vs just getting Mitch....while we don't know th career paths of Mitch or the guys we got, IMO our choke-artist HC and GM with zero experience (who brought in two very good FO guys) did a pretty damn good job lol.

Who says the top end candidates at QB are "dubious" ? Maybe just maybe they're f**king good I think Kyle knows talent and wants someone that can run his offense. IF Allen/Darnold/Rosen can run his offense at a high level then yeah they will draft one of them (if in a position)...Lynch/Kyle have both stated how important it is to find a FQB. I see this upcoming draft at QB on level with the 2004 draft. Kyle isn't gonna pass on E Manning/Big Ben/ P Rivers, so he can draft Luke McCown in the 4th rd.

I'm cool with bringing in a GOOD QB like Kirk or Jimmy G...Hoyer is not a FQB and Kyle can only polish up a turd so much. You're example about two of the best QBs in the history of the NFL not drafted high isn't the norm, but the exception. I could name hundreds of QB drafted outside of the 1st that were busts.

FYI the draft overall is a gamble, so not sure what your last statement even means.

I'll add the only time Kyle has been to the playoffs is when he had a 1st rd qb.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for Heroism.
Kyle can only polish up a turd so much.

Who says the top end candidates at QB are "dubious" ? Maybe just maybe they're f**king good I think Kyle knows talent and wants someone that can run his offense. IF Allen/Darnold/Rosen can run his offense at a high level then yeah they will draft one of them (if in a position)...Lynch/Kyle have both stated how important it is to find a FQB. I see this upcoming draft at QB on level with the 2004 draft. Kyle isn't gonna pass on E Manning/Big Ben/ P Rivers, so he can draft Luke McCown in the 4th rd.

I'm cool with bringing in a GOOD QB like Kirk or Jimmy G...Hoyer is not a FQB and Kyle can only polish up a turd so much. You're example about two of the best QBs in the history of the NFL not drafted high isn't the norm, but the exception. I could name hundreds of QB drafted outside of the 1st that were busts.

FYI the draft overall is gamble so not sure what you're last statement even means.

I'll add the only time Kyle has been to the playoffs is when he had a 1st rd qb.

Kyle Shanahan does. "If no quarterback really jumps out at you, and you can get a pass rusher, or a linebacker, or an offensive lineman that can help you win for the next ten years, you don't gamble."

The Only quarterback Kyle wanted from this draft was Beathard.

I'm absolutely fine with drafting a quarterback very high if that's who jumps out at Kyle. What Kyle likes just isn't necessarily what gets draft pundits excited, so drafting high is not the goal.

My examples included Kirk Cousins. He's certainly not one of the best "in the history of the NFL", at least yet, but imo he could win a Super Bowl, with us, and he's one of a very small number Kyle has been able to influence his team to draft. Nobody had taken him by the fourth round.

I'll reiterate. That's a plus if you draft high and can get your first choice of the quarterback crop. It's not always valuable to get the pundits first or high choices. The two things may line up, but in Kyles case, they usually won't.
Kyle Shanahan does. "If no quarterback really jumps out at you, and you can get a pass rusher, or a linebacker, or an offensive lineman that can help you win for the next ten years, you don't gamble."

I'm absolutely fine with drafting a quarterback very high if that's who jumps out at Kyle. What Kyle likes just isn't necessarily what gets draft pundits excited, so drafting high is not the goal.

My examples included Kirk Cousins. He's certainly not one of the best "in the history of the NFL", at least yet, but imo he could win a Super Bowl, with us, and he's one of a very small number Kyle has been able to influence his team to draft. Nobody had taken him by the fourth round.

I'll reiterate. That's a plus if you draft high and can get your first choice of the quarterback crop. It's not always valuable to get the pundits first or high choices. The two things may line up, but in Kyles case, they usually won't.

I don't think that' exactly the case. I'm sure Kyle would love a highly athletic, big body QB who has a cannon for an arm...but he wants a guy who is smart enough to run his offense at a high level and he wants someone who doesn't have to be broken down and built up from the ground up mechanics wise.

Let's be honest there wasn't a single QB in this QB class who was day 1 starter like a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck type.

Either you had guys coming from a non pro style system who would need time to get comfortable with that style of offense or they'd need to learn how to go through progressions and other things that NFL QBs have to be able to do. Let's look at the QBs taken before Beathard

Trubisky - 1 year starter, non pro system
Mahomes - non pro system
Watson - non pro system
Kizer - 1.5 year starter, limited reads and college system
Webb - non pro system

Basically all of these guys would need work before they could master a system like Kyle's. So he took one of the brighter QBs in the class who has shown ability to run an offense close to Kyle's. He may not have the physical tools of those other guys but he's got the mental ability and mechanics ground work to be a quality player within his system.

CJ may end up being nothing but a backup but if he works his butt off enough and grows then we may find ourselves with a cheapo starter at the position. It also gives us lots of flexibility next offseason. If he shows them enough then maybe it's not worth going QB early on(if we're even in position to do so) if the QB available isn't a sure stud in Kyle/John's mind.

It also buys us a little time. Hoyer/Beathard in his 2nd season could allow us to draft a QB high who may not be ready to jump in there right away and let him sit and learn from Kyle to really give him a chance to succeed without rushing him out there. Best case scenario we're stuck in a Brees/Rivers situation in 2019.

But no matter how you slice it, especially with hindsight(at least at this point) not drafting Trubisky at #2 was a terrific move.

I'll agree there was no QB that jumped out in this past draft hence not drafting one...even the pundits stated this. I was in the Solomon bandwagon.

What I'm referring to is the next draft which IMO has a chance to be something special at the QB position.

We'll have a great idea on Kirk's future after July 17th.

Also its not just the pundits who are talking up these guys it's fans like us who watch them play lol. If all three guys improve a little you're looking at some very good qbs that imo could all run Kyle's offense. Throw in a cheap contract for 5 yrs and your looking amazing for a rebuild.

Like I said Kyle's only been to the playoffs with a first rd QB at the helm...I don't think kyle thinks he can just grab any QB and magically turn them into a top FQB...he's simply looking at who can run his offense, who's accurate, and a leader/tough. All three top prospects next yr imo aren't really products of a system and carry some of the traits kyle looks for.

We will see

Beathard.

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Beathard.

Champion?
Share 49ersWebzone