There are 145 users in the forums

Improved Positions?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by NCommand:
X's and O's ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two proven, battle-tested systems +++++++++++++++++++++

No more HaRoman Hodge Podge offense, or whatever Geep was or Visual Arts dancing from the sidelines.

didn't you say this same thing at the start of last season

lol

Clearly...I was all about those college offenses.

This is the offense I've always wanted so you can mark that down as a quote.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

No more HaRoman Hodge Podge offense, or whatever Geep was or Visual Arts dancing from the sidelines.

didn't you say this same thing at the start of last season

lol

Clearly...I was all about those college offenses.

This is the offense I've always wanted so you can mark that down as a quote.

You've always wanted an offense that can't run the ball a couple times to kill the clock and kick a FG to win a super bowl? That's weird.
Originally posted by TheNef77:
+ Side: Offense
QB - Not sold on any of the guys on the team. Biggest need to fill next offseason
RB/FB+++ - From no FB to the best in the game. Joe Williams adds better depth than we've ever had since Kendall Hunter
WR+ - Garcon is a sure upgrade but everything else is still a wait and see. I guess I could give another + for Goodwin's Madden value lol
C++ - Better system with a proven vet in Zuttah
OG/OT - Can Josh Garnett and Trent Brown pick up this new system and get fast enough to execute the stretches? I'll wait until Training Camp when they're going full speed full contact to see. Firing out with and without pads are 2 different speeds.
TE+ - Hoping for Kittle to dethrone the slot drafted to play TE for the starting spot

+ Side: Defense
DL+++ - Better defined simplified roles. I expect a big year from Buck, Solo, and Taumoepenu
LB+++ - We actually addressed a need that we needed since Willis and Borland left. Baalke you FI. Anyways, best LB in the draft next to Bo and Malcolm Smith whose already been successful in this same system.
SS+ - Finally putting Reid in the box to play to his strengths. Tartt isn't far behind. No more old vet getting burned in coverage
FS+ - Hopefully Ward can revert to his college self. Why Baalke would draft a free to play nickle in the 1st round is...smh. Anyways, he had all the tools for this role back then.
CB+ - Witherspoon's weakness is all between the ears. Fear of contact is a hard thing to overcome and we're asking him to do it while stepping up to the pro's. He's a starter once he gets over it. Great in coverage. Looking forward to seeing Robinson's development. I hope Dontae Johnson gets reps in too.

LB has been one of my pet peeves for the past two years! No one fell to them in the draft but they should have worked their picks to a top LB. Now we just have to hope Foster is healthy and the new additions jell with the rest of the guys...which seems likely.

Witherspoon's reach and length will help him, but if he shies away from contact he won't last long. They can still use him for pure coverage, but if he can't stuff runs when necessary...ouch!

Ward is an instinctive player, as is Reid. I believe Baalke didn't see Reid as a SS due to his concussion issues, which still worry me. But since Tartt and Ward were HS team mates it would be a great story to have them excel together in the NFL!

As for QB...still waiting for them to find a FQB but until then...these guys will be better than last years group for the WCO.
You've always wanted an offense that can't run the ball a couple times to kill the clock and kick a FG to win a super bowl? That's weird.

LMAO...props. That was a good one!

Awwww. You're not going to miss the "Meerkat" offense?
[ Edited by Sourball on Jun 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Sourball:

Awwww. You're not going to miss the "Meerkat" offense?

Great name! Exactly... like coworkers popping up from their cubicles.
Originally posted by thl408:
+ Side: Offense
QB ++ : Vet to operate a familiar offense.
WR +++ : Garcon is a complete WR. Excellent speed/athleticism upgrade to the position group (Goodwin, ARobinson).
FB + : an infinite improvement because it improved from 0 since Chip had no FB.
C + : Zuttah provides good vet experience
OG + : Vet depth. Hopefully Garnett improves.
TE + : Get Celek outta here and get Kittles' athleticism in.

+ Side: Defense
DL ++ : Player friendly scheme. DeFo in year two. Healthy AA. Thomas.
ILB +++++++++ : Healthy Bow is a billion times better than Skov/Bellore.
OLB + : Very different assignments from last season so it's hard to compare, but last season's OLB's was bad. Easy to improve from bad.
CB + : Robinson in year 2. Improved DL play should make CBs look better.
SS + : Last year's two deep safety looks really mixed the roles of SS and FS. There wasn't really a clear designation of FS/SS. The scheme this season will have clear FS/SS roles. Reid/Tartt are removed from where they aren't good - operating in large space as deep safeties - and are now close to the LoS.

It's easy to improve from being brutal, that's why I have so many +'s. All defensive groups (except FS) get a + simply due to the scheme change that won't require so much thinking. JoN's scheme was a two year install type of defense and teams don't have time for that.

X2

And i will add 3+ for Saleh and 5+ for OC/HC
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:32 PM ]
Improved most at fullback. Didn't even have one last year, now we have the best in the game
I would agree on paper we have improved at multiple positions. However, even with the improvements we are below the NFL average at many positions across the board.

Ex. Our improvement at QB is still awful. We went from a 2/10 to a 3/10.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I would agree on paper we have improved at multiple positions. However, even with the improvements we are below the NFL average at many positions across the board.

I disagree, Hoyer is tons better than Gabbert and Kaep

Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:

The current QBs may be awful but who knows? Under Shanahan Cousins was developed. I expect his scheme and ability to teach the position to make a huge difference in the offense running smoothly. That and the improved OL should help the WRs and RBs improve. So the total impact of a good coach, effective scheme and better players may make for an interesting offense. Or they could fall off the face of the earth. At this point I will hope for the best!
Kyle found the top 7 or 8 qbs this yr, all to be lacking for what he wants. CJ came closest. Next yr who knows where we draft but i don't think that high up, maybe 12-16, just far enough away to not have a shot at the qb he wants. But also, what if he really likes a guy in the late 2nd or 3rd (montana range) that he knows he can coach up? I think the odds that he goes thru a second draft and doesn't like all the QBs is unlikely, There will be somebody there he likes and we move up despite the cost. But i don't think we are going to back into this with 4 Ws. Just an opinion.
Any receiver to whom the quarterback throws will be improved. The quarterback, whoever it will be, has some touch, instead of throwing madbum fastballs to receivers 10 yards out.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Not much better, though.
TE is difficult to gauge. McDonald came to life when gabbert was starting & disappeared again when kap returned. It's difficult to know what we really have in McDonald. Paulson was a former shanny player brought here. Kittle is interesting.

My three TEs would be McDonald, Kittle and Paulson. If the undrafted kid makes the squad it will be at celeks expense & because lynch went with 4 TEs and an H back, which is very possible.
Share 49ersWebzone