LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Improved Positions?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Which positions do you expect to play better this year?

+ Side: Offense
QB +
RB/FB ++
WR ++
C +
OG++
WR ++
TE?
OT? Stable last year so...?

+ Side: Defense
DL ++
OLB +
ILB +
SS +
FS ?
CB?

The only down side I see is in experience. TEs, RB, CB, ILB...but the players coming in have more talent overall than those lost, so I see the team having some great upside. Then when you consider coaching...huge upside on defense and likely quite a jump on offense...and not just because I love the WCO!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:10 PM ]
  • thl408
QB ++ : Vet to operate a familiar offense.
WR +++ : Garcon is a complete WR. Excellent speed/athleticism upgrade to the position group (Goodwin, ARobinson).
FB + : an infinite improvement because it improved from 0 since Chip had no FB.
C + : Zuttah provides good vet experience
OG + : Vet depth. Hopefully Garnett improves.
TE + : Get Celek outta here and get Kittles' athleticism in.

DL ++ : Player friendly scheme. DeFo in year two. Healthy AA. Thomas.
ILB +++++++++ : Healthy Bow is a billion times better than Skov/Bellore.
OLB + : Very different assignments from last season so it's hard to compare, but last season's OLB's was bad. Easy to improve from bad.
CB + : Robinson in year 2. Improved DL play should make CBs look better.
SS + : Last year's two deep safety looks really mixed the roles of SS and FS. There wasn't really a clear designation of FS/SS. The scheme this season will have clear FS/SS roles. Reid/Tartt are removed from where they aren't good - operating in large space as deep safeties - and are now close to the LoS.

It's easy to improve from being brutal, that's why I have so many +'s. All defensive groups (except FS) get a + simply due to the scheme change that won't require so much thinking. JoN's scheme was a two year install type of defense and teams don't have time for that.
Originally posted by thl408:
QB ++ : Vet to operate a familiar offense.
WR +++ : Garcon is a complete WR. Excellent speed/athleticism upgrade to the position group (Goodwin, ARobinson).
FB + : an infinite improvement because it improved from 0 since Chip had no FB.
C + : Zuttah provides good vet experience
OG + : Vet depth. Hopefully Garnett improves.
TE + : Get Celek outta here and get Kittles' athleticism in.

DL ++ : Player friendly scheme. DeFo in year two. Healthy AA. Thomas.
ILB +++++++++ : Healthy Bow is a billion times better than Skov/Bellore.
OLB + : Very different assignments from last season so it's hard to compare, but last season's OLB's was bad. Easy to improve from bad.
CB + : Robinson in year 2. Improved DL play should make CBs look better.
SS + : Last year's two deep safety looks really mixed the roles of SS and FS. There wasn't really a clear designation of FS/SS. The scheme this season will have clear FS/SS roles. Reid/Tartt are removed from where they aren't good - operating in large space as deep safeties - and are now close to the LoS.

It's easy to improve from being brutal, that's why I have so many +'s. All defensive groups (except FS) get a + simply due to the scheme change that won't require so much thinking. JoN's scheme was a two year install type of defense and teams don't have time for that.

All true! I had a difficult time deciding comparing last years team or three years ago before the elite vets disappeared. But since many of the new better players are so far unknowns...it's easier to see the improvement from last year. If you look at Willis, J Smith, Bowman and A Smith compared to this year's group...makes me want to cry! We have to hope that Foster is healthy, Buckner, Armstead and Thomas reach potential quickly and someone emerges as a pass rusher.

Offense seems to be capable of total transformation. Will keep my fingers crossed that the sum of the parts jell.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Which positions do you expect to play better this year?

QB +
RB/FB ++
WR ++
C +
OG++
WR ++
TE?
OT? Stable last year so...?

DL ++
OLB +
ILB +
SS +
FS ?
CB?

The only down side I see is in experience. TEs, RB, CB, ILB...but the players coming in have more talent overall than those lost, so I see the team having some great upside. Then when you consider coaching...huge upside on defense and likely quite a jump on offense...and not just because I love the WCO!

-the 49ers had a scrub and a retard under center-i at least hope they'll see a much improved QB play
-i think the RB are a little deeper but i still will say that the core is mediocre at best
*meh on the WR. but i think kittle will be a nice addition.
-I think the o line will be slighty better but not really an improvement of play. Staley is a year older, Garnett is still playing out of his natural position (and he still sucks) and we don't have a decent RG

HOWEVER
I think the D will play ALOT better just the simple fact that the dumbass, O'neal, isn't coaching that team.
DL-will be ALOT BETTER
LB-Malcolm Smith will surprise alot of people, I believe.
DB-with Ward at FS (which i was screaming for them to do) and Reid at SS, it's an already improved secondary. I just wish Johnson can start opposite of Robinson and have Reaser/redmond battle it out for the slot position.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
-the 49ers had a scrub and a retard under center-i at least hope they'll see a much improved QB play
-i think the RB are a little deeper but i still will say that the core is mediocre at best
-I think the o line will be slighty better but not really an improvement of play. Staley is a year older, Garnett is still playing out of his natural position (and he still sucks) and we don't have a decent RG

HOWEVER
I think the D will play ALOT better just the simple fact that the dumbass, O'neal, isn't coaching that team.
DL-will be ALOT BETTER
DB-with Ward at FS (which i was screaming for them to do) and Reid at SS, it's an already improved secondary. I just wish Johnson can start opposite of Robinson and have Reaser/redmond battle it out for the slot position.

Interesting take on the offense, but I believe the improved scheme, QBs, play calling, will help the OL a lot. On top of that the WRs should be interesting if not great and the RBs will be more talented if not as experienced. Of course, much depends on these guys staying healthy. Kilgore moving to OG might help, Hyde staying on the field, and an excellent all purpose FB will also help the OL and QB. TE may be a wash--experience lost to better talent...which is fine with me.

Forgot about Malcolm Smith but really not sure he will be able to lift the D as much as you and I hope...
The LB position group went from atrocity to a strength. Between Ray Ray, Malcolm and Reuben, two of those guys will be on the bench. Complete 180 from last season.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 21, 2017 at 11:07 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

HOWEVER
DL-will be ALOT BETTER

Interesting take on the offense, but I believe the improved scheme, QBs, play calling, will help the OL a lot. On top of that the WRs should be interesting if not great and the RBs will be more talented if not as experienced. Of course, much depends on these guys staying healthy. Kilgore moving to OG might help, Hyde staying on the field, and an excellent all purpose FB will also help the OL and QB. TE may be a wash--experience lost to better talent...which is fine with me.

Forgot about Malcolm Smith but really not sure he will be able to lift the D as much as you and I hope...

i expect this offense to struggle mightily as there's very little talent on offense and shanny's schemes are very complex. Most of these guys haven't played in this scheme before. I wouldn't be surprise to see this offense be at the very bottom IMO. I hope this regime will focus heavily on the offensive side of the ball in the next two years. I expect to see a top 10 offense in 2019 if we sign cousins. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the defense ranks in the top 15 either this year or next. They have ALOT of promising pieces. I personally believe that each position talent level is either solid to very good, but they do lack experience. (but i don't consider anyone elite on that side of the ball but every starter should be at least decent)
Originally posted by Heroism:
The LB position group went from atrocity to a strength. Between Ray Ray, Malcolm and Reuben, two of those guys will be on the bench. Complete 180 from last season.

all of that is contingent of health. if bowman and ray ray "anderson" can stay healthy, then I would say that the LB core is slightly above average. But I will say that M. Smith will surprise alot of people on this board-not a probowler but a very good signing.
Everything in here is contingent on health.
i expect this offense to struggle mightily as there's very little talent on offense and shanny's schemes are very complex. Most of these guys haven't played in this scheme before. I wouldn't be surprise to see this offense be at the very bottom IMO. I hope this regime will focus heavily on the offensive side of the ball in the next two years. I expect to see a top 10 offense in 2019 if we sign cousins. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the defense ranks in the top 15 either this year or next. They have ALOT of promising pieces. I personally believe that each position talent level is either solid to very good, but they do lack experience. (but i don't consider anyone elite on that side of the ball but every starter should be at least decent)

Good points! Perhaps we should look at it with caveats:
  • If the OL can adapt quickly to Shanahan's scheme--Garnett and Brown able to move well enough to become impact linemen? Maybe, but maybe not.
  • I liked Draughn but this year's group of RBs seems to have higher ceilings--Williams looking to challenge Hyde is a huge deal.
  • Hoyer and Barkley being able to play up to the level of Kaepernick and Gabbert? LOL! Can they be worse? Hoyer might just surprise people if the OL helps him out.
  • Juszczyk will be a key player and a great pick up. If he plays up to expectations it will really help all aspects of the Offense.
  • Kerley was the only NFL caliber receiver last year. Will the new players be better than last years under achievers? Garcon is much better, Goodwin may be.

I agree with you that Shanahan's scheme will take a bit of learning, but they brought in some players who have a head start so...I believe they will be better sooner rather than later.

X's and O's ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two proven, battle-tested systems +++++++++++++++++++++

No more HaRoman Hodge Podge offense, or whatever Geep was or Visual Arts dancing from the sidelines.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Everything in here is contingent on health.

Understatement of the year!
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
QB - Not sold on any of the guys on the team. Biggest need to fill next offseason
RB/FB+++ - From no FB to the best in the game. Joe Williams adds better depth than we've ever had since Kendall Hunter
WR+ - Garcon is a sure upgrade but everything else is still a wait and see. I guess I could give another + for Goodwin's Madden value lol
C++ - Better system with a proven vet in Zuttah
OG/OT - Can Josh Garnett and Trent Brown pick up this new system and get fast enough to execute the stretches? I'll wait until Training Camp when they're going full speed full contact to see. Firing out with and without pads are 2 different speeds.
TE+ - Hoping for Kittle to dethrone the slot drafted to play TE for the starting spot

DL+++ - Better defined simplified roles. I expect a big year from Buck, Solo, and Taumoepenu
LB+++ - We actually addressed a need that we needed since Willis and Borland left. Baalke you FI. Anyways, best LB in the draft next to Bo and Malcolm Smith whose already been successful in this same system.
SS+ - Finally putting Reid in the box to play to his strengths. Tartt isn't far behind. No more old vet getting burned in coverage
FS+ - Hopefully Ward can revert to his college self. Why Baalke would draft a free to play nickle in the 1st round is...smh. Anyways, he had all the tools for this role back then.
CB+ - Witherspoon's weakness is all between the ears. Fear of contact is a hard thing to overcome and we're asking him to do it while stepping up to the pro's. He's a starter once he gets over it. Great in coverage. Looking forward to seeing Robinson's development. I hope Dontae Johnson gets reps in too.
Originally posted by NCommand:

No more HaRoman Hodge Podge offense, or whatever Geep was or Visual Arts dancing from the sidelines.

Mercy yes
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NCommand:

didn't you say this same thing at the start of last season

lol
Share 49ersWebzone