LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Let's talk 49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Will Davis thought we were done with torn ACLs

Sounds like a camp body to me

Same here.. talented tire kicker who dealt with injuries. I think they're also envisioning Redmond more so outside this year as Spoon learns the ropes and is put in on snaps he has a chance to succeed at. Reaser can play inside as well.

Robinson,DJ,Spoon,DJ,Redmond,Williams,Reaser,Will Davis and Iworah... that's a lot,of competition until the end of pre-season.
Retooeld and reschooled; this rag tag band of no namers will lead the league in interceptions and scores and be almost impossible to pass against.

Inter-generational change has come and we will once again be feared and respected for the next decade as we reinvent ourselves to lead back to the promised land of success and domination.

Affirmation of pride will flow through this group and our great supporters will band together to pronounce this the greatest group of defensive backs ever.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Same here.. talented tire kicker who dealt with injuries. I think they're also envisioning Redmond more so outside this year as Spoon learns the ropes and is put in on snaps he has a chance to succeed at. Reaser can play inside as well.

Robinson,DJ,Spoon,DJ,Redmond,Williams,Reaser,Will Davis and Iworah... that's a lot,of competition until the end of pre-season.

I'm down for competition would have liked a FS like Byrd to have as insurance behind ward though.

I'm down for competition would have liked a FS like Byrd to have as insurance behind ward though.

Me too.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Me too.

Could still happen
I'm hoping we got another mid round gem at corner with Witherspoon. And he and Robinson hold down the starting spot. If we don't have a player step up at nickle having Ward move to nickle corner and have Reid and Tartt at Safety could be a pretty nasty secondary
In the thread on "which position do you think is the most problematic"...or something close to that, i put down DBs, CBs in particular. My feeling about our DBs for the last 3-4 yrs has been that they are like jello in your hand....it just oozes thru your fingers and you can't quite get a grip on it.(them)....and i still feel that way. Agree that Spoon is most likely a "redshirt" this yr, but that is kinda like the feeling i have for all our DBs. It seemed we drafted 1 or 2 every yr for awhile under baalke at high picks, but nobody just ever stuck out like a Kim chancellor or his buddy on SEA. Not sure exactly why that is but with Lynch here now, i would hope that deficiency gets fixed. I think of our DBs as an appendage that just doesn't work very well, and if it has a great front 7 , then functions okay. IF the front 7 is garbage, then the DBs don't help us at all. Put another way, our DBs are NOT going to carry this team.(IMO, anyway).

They why of this i don't understand, but the feeling we just have jello in our hands with our DBs is one i can't seem to shake. I wish i could get more enthusiastic with this group, but so far it just hasn't hit me. What am i missing here? Somebody please cheer me up.
We have a lot of potential but no proven players on the back end.

With how things have gone the past two seasons I will take a "wait & see" approach to calling this unit good. Ward isn't good and Reid has been average to below average at best. The rookies and second year guys have done nothing at this point, so...
Originally posted by glorydayz:
We have a lot of potential but no proven players on the back end.

With how things have gone the past two seasons I will take a "wait & see" approach to calling this unit good. Ward isn't good and Reid has been average to below average at best. The rookies and second year guys have done nothing at this point, so...

Well, there you go...just another way of what i said. I guess what we need is a rainmaker at CB, and we just don't have any. What we have is ....well, modest.
Originally posted by thl408:
The wildcards to me are DJ and Redmond. Especially Redmond who I want to see succeed at slot CB. It appears there are certain physical traits that the 49ers want on the outside based on the Witherspoon selection. This is why I don't see Reaser (5'10") contending for an outside spot.

Ward at FS will go through a learning curve as he gets reacclimated to operating in space, and his second position change in 2 years. I'm fine with entering the season being uncertain about Ward playing FS. Only one way to find out, sink or swim. At SS I think Reid will win it, but I want Tartt to even though I don't think he will. Only because Tartt is the one still on his rookie deal.

What I'd like to happen. I want these guys to gel and grow old together.
CB: Robinson, Witherspoon, Redmond
FS, SS: Ward, Tartt

What I think will happen to start 2017:
CB: Robinson, DJ, KWIlliams
FS, SS: Ward, Reid

100% how I view it as well.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

LOL if anyone thinks we can make a respectable secondary out of a bunch of camp bodies. jesus. is will davis the best we can do? no offense to those who say a improved pass rush will help our secondary. that has yet to be proven as well. i do not see how we have. aside from two draft picks and one is still rehabbing. fixed the worst defense in the nfl
Originally posted by cciowa:

LOL if anyone thinks we can make a respectable secondary out of a bunch of camp bodies. jesus. is will davis the best we can do? no offense to those who say a improved pass rush will help our secondary. that has yet to be proven as well. i do not see how we have. aside from two draft picks and one is still rehabbing. fixed the worst defense in the nfl

Like I said camp body...who outside of Davis is a "camp body"? We had the 14th overall pass D last yr not dead last. We delt with a s**t ton of injuries last yr and you're straight up hating if you don't think we improved the defense with the guys we drafted/brought in along with the coaching changes.

Like I said camp body...who outside of Davis is a "camp body"? We had the 14th overall pass D last yr not dead last. We delt with a s**t ton of injuries last yr and you're straight up hating if you don't think we improved the defense with the guys we drafted/brought in along with the coaching changes.

Agreed...these kinds of fliers are brought in every year to add competition and another veteran presence. When they come in at this time of the year, they are very hungry playing for their career. It elevates the whole group. And if he happens to leap frog others, more power to him; more security. But there is plenty to get excited about in terms of youth, talent and upside esp. in this new scheme.

Defensive Personnel: --- 25
Base Personnel:
LDE: *DeForest Bucker; Tank Carradine & Quinton Dial
NT: D.J. Jones; *Earl Mitchell
RDT: *Solomon Thomas; *Ronald Blair
RDE: *Arik Armstead
ER: Aaron Lynch & Eli Harold; Dekoda Watson & Pita Taumoepenu
SAM: Ahmad Brooks or Malcolm Smith
MIKE: Navarro Bowman
WILL: Reuben Foster; Ray-Ray Armstrong
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Dontae Johnson
S/CB: Will Redmond; K'Waun Williams
LCB: Rashard Robinson
FS: Jimmie Ward; Lorenzo Jerome
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Eric Reid

* Interior Rushers / ER = Edge Rushers
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

True, pass rush isn't enough, you have to have the coverage DB's also to have a solid pass defense. A GM that played the position to a very high level gives me confidence he can at least draft/sign some DB talent that other organizations have overlooked and develop them. Dwight Clark helped draft Terell Owens in 1996, and Owens was selected near the end of the 3rd round. Marvin Harrison in the same draft - and a similar career - was the 19th pick in the first round. I have confidence that the new scheme and the GM know their stuff and can see diamonds in the rough, with some of these so called camp players.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

when they get toasted in pre season check back with me. of course. i will be,.., its only pre season. guess we just can not get past it being unlawful to dare be critical of the new regime . you are hoping the new coaches will make a difference. hoping all these unknowns in the secondary will pan out. hoping to find gems in undrafted free agents. a whole lotta hoping. i am stunned to think there is no need to sign a vet safety and cornerback. to many people here think we will go back in time to 81 and that rookie secondary
Share 49ersWebzone