There are 236 users in the forums

Which Veterans do you see gone before the season opener?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Brooks has been getting the first team reps at SAM. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Yeah, he's probably the starter.

I wonder how far Harold/Watson are behind Brooks.
Brooks is still the first choice.
  • titan
  • Veteran
The three that I'm absolutely done with and feel that they had more than enough chances.
Harold
Carradine
Ellington
Originally posted by titan:
The three that I'm absolutely done with and feel that they had more than enough chances.
Harold
Carradine
Ellington

I can see why on Carradine and Ellington. But Harold started coming around and should be taken under consideration as a base SAM to play the run. Of course his development as a pass rusher will be key on his role on this team. I bet he makes the team.
Ellington = yes.
Originally posted by Mike1989:
My top three would be:

Bruce Ellington. We already have the top three spots on our receiving depth chart sorted, and we drafted Trent Taylor so it would be safe to assume he makes the roster, so that's probably 1 or 2 more spots available. With his injuries it is a possibility that Ellington gets cut.

Ahmad Brooks. With the transition to a 4-3 defense it is possible that we end up starting Bowman, Foster, and Smith. At this time that would be my preferred starting trio of linebackers. That will likely leave Armstrong, Brooks, Coyle, Harold, Lynch, and Watson competing for backup spots. So unless the team really values Brooks veteran presence, he could end up being one of those that gets cut.

Garrett Celek or Vance McDonald. I think one of them will make the roster, but the other could miss out. We drafted George Kittle, so his spot is safe. We brought in Paulsen via free agency and Hikutini as a UDFA, both have a chance of making the roster, but they'll have to compete with Celek, Vance, and Bell. Usually teams carry 3 or 4 tight ends, so someone has to miss out and it is possible that one of the veterans could make way.

Shanahan has already said that between Foster, Bowman, and Smith 1 will be on the bench cus only 2 will start. Smith and Foster are playing the Will LB spot in our D, none of them are seen as the SAM. Brooks, Eli, and Watson are getting snaps at SAM. There's no way I see Brooks getting cut. Sure it's just OTA's and the depth chart isn't set, but basically if your starting then your not gonna get cut unless your a place holder for a draft pick or someone is hurt behind you which neither is the case at SAM. Not to mention Brooks is the perfect fit for the SAM and it's been reported that he's in great shape and playing well.

I think Celek, Bell, Dial, Reaser, Bibbs, and Ellington are all cuts.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
BuzzB
Tank, Ellington and Gilliam for sure...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I think Ellington is gone.
Cut:
Ellington
Smelter
Harold
Celek

Trade:
McDonald
Hyde
Lynch
Garnett

Originally posted by okdkid:
BuzzB

You think Buzz will be gone by the start of the season?
Originally posted by titan:
Harold
Carradine
Ellington

Absolutely
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
IMO, Carradine and Harold will be shown the door, they couldn't make plays when the defense was depleted with injuries, they didn't step it up and pick up the slack, they looked like lost rookies all season long plus I wouldn't be shocked if Hyde is gone, in favor of a Breida and Williams combo, but I'm hoping we keep Hyde this year , we need his violent running style

looks like Vance Mac could also be gone , but I want us to hang on to him also, he is capable of making big plays, his two 70+ yard TD scores show he can make plays, even though it's reported Kyle isn't a fan of his route running , but I'd like to see what Kyle can do with Vance

and Ahmad Brooks is another question mark , but we aren't loaded at LB to just cut him loose

what about you guys , which veterans do you see gone this year?

Cutting Hyde for a UDFA RB

You're throwing out some bigger names as possible cut candidates which I don't see happening.

Look at guys like Ellington, smelter, celek, bell, some PS guys from last yr etc...

that assumption was based on the team rolling with "Kyle's guys" and the possibility of a total rebuild, I know it is far fetched Hyde will be dealt , but with a new regime coming in and starting over, anything is possible, and like I said before, we NEED Hyde's violent running style , there is not many RB's that run with anger like Carlos
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
that assumption was based on the team rolling with "Kyle's guys" and the possibility of a total rebuild, I know it is far fetched Hyde will be dealt , but with a new regime coming in and starting over, anything is possible, and like I said before, we NEED Hyde's violent running style , there is not many RB's that run with anger like Carlos

You stated cutting him for a UDFA doe

Also I'll think it's very silly to cut a productive player heading into a contract yr (off of a rookie deal). We aren't strapped for cash and if he performs well then try and resign him, if he doesn't resign here then get a comp pick....cutting bait with guys like lynch/Hyde make no sense at all. At the very least try and get a comp pick for next yr when they move on instead of nothing.

It's not like we have some crazy talent ahead of them.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Cut:
Ellington
Smelter
Harold
Celek

Trade:
McDonald
Hyde
Lynch
Garnett

Why in the world are you cutting Harold who was actually coming on well toward the end of last yr? Do we have some stud SAM LBers that I'm not aware of? We're gonna need depth behind Brooks, who's on his last yr of his deal FYI.

Why in the world would anyone trade for guys in contract yrs like Hyde/lynch? You'd get next to nothing because they are FA in 2018, why not see what they can do and if they leave get a comp pick which might end up being more than whatever you got in a possible trade
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 1, 2017 at 7:09 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone