LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Bill Barnwells offseason grades

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
I think we get an A for draft and a C+ for Free Agency hence the overall B-

I think the draft is more important and the grade should be at least a solid B if not B+...but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
This guy is a complete moron, I'm sick of people in the media looking at numbers and saying yep they overpaid, why don't they look at the breakdown, I even tweeted at ESPN offering to teach their so called experts the salary cap for FREE if it would improve their site.

I'll double that. Way to go AB...speaking of ESPN, their sports writers and broadcasters are so good that they just fired over 100 of them....they needed to do something. Their staff are frequently so off the wall...or worse , just totally unaware of sports news, what it means, etc. And re: Contracts, they should have taken that advice you offered and hired you. They would be the better for it.
what I like is our front office is aggressive and working hard to bring in players to help , last year there were big holes before pre-season even started, and Baalke did not address them and gave us the "we are a draft and develop team" , I got so sick of that , at least Lynch is signing free agents and trying to get this team stronger , where Trent rolled with what we had on roster
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
This guy is a complete moron, I'm sick of people in the media looking at numbers and saying yep they overpaid, why don't they look at the breakdown, I even tweeted at ESPN offering to teach their so called experts the salary cap for FREE if it would improve their site.

I'll double that. Way to go AB...speaking of ESPN, their sports writers and broadcasters are so good that they just fired over 100 of them....they needed to do something. Their staff are frequently so off the wall...or worse , just totally unaware of sports news, what it means, etc. And re: Contracts, they should have taken that advice you offered and hired you. They would be the better for it.

With the rise of alternative media like the Webzone and others, mainstream media is dead. I haven't watched any of the big three ABC, NBC, CBS, for a long long time. If I want 49er news, I come here, or to the official 49ers site. I don't waste my time with those sites that are pathetically incompetent.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
what I like is our front office is aggressive and working hard to bring in players to help , last year there were big holes before pre-season even started, and Baalke did not address them and gave us the "we are a draft and develop team" , I got so sick of that , at least Lynch is signing free agents and trying to get this team stronger , where Trent rolled with what we had on roster

What chapped my hide about Trent was that he could not work with Harbaugh and most of Trent's offensive wr picks sucked. Man, I'm still steamed about the A J Jenkins pick . That bonehead move cost us a super bowl.
What I hate not only Barnwell but a lot of other "experts" complaining about the Juszczyk contract.

It's pretty obvious that we didn't sign him to be a traditional FB and have him in a few plays a game to lead block but he'll be heavily involved in the offense.
What that guy fails to recognize and place any value on is most players signed in FA has played well in and understands the schemes that are new to this team and going to be installed, save a couple. Many of the players signed were purposely because they had worked with Shanahan or one of his coordinators in the scheme that's being installed before, had good experiences with that coach, and is going to be able to help get that knowledge from the classroom to the playing field. Also Shanahan has an odd personality and sometimes rubs people the wrong way, often times because they mistake his intentions or motivations, as has been reported. Many of these players will also act as insulation against any negative player movements due to those previously mentioned personality perception issues. The FO's FA additions have been brilliant for guys who want to fundamentally change the systems the players are used to operating in on game days as well as the culture of the team over all.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 30, 2017 at 11:31 AM ]
Im at A- for the draft and a B+ for FA, hence I'm at a 89%-91% overall grade. The free agent acquisitions are gonna pay dividends much more than 'anticipated' by some, Smith at WORSE can be the 1st. LB off the bench, as he can start/play at any of the 3 LB positions !-what's wrong with that ? He will keep the Ray Ray Armstrongs and Brock coyles on the bench(away from having to start) and our ST's STRONG. My downgrades for FA were the 2 micro WR's (Carter and Robinson), to much redundancy with; the holdovers, the draft/UDFA's, and top 2 FA acquisitions. And LB J.Dimanche, for the same reasons(and it showed already, cut during mini-camp) and QB Barkley, again I think better options are/were available for 2nd. string to already 2nd string/marginal starter QB(Hoyer). The draft grade is based on the fact we didn't get a hands down, high ranked, big school, bonafide FS (although I think the kid from St. Francis sticks as a solid addition). Nor did we get a better ranked CB (some still available) when we selected the one we did get.
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on May 30, 2017 at 12:35 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
ahh, the ever so respected, renowned off season grader, bill barnwell. can't wait to read moar.
Really it is a chicken raffle or a crap shoot.

Barnwell really isn't bad. He was much better on Grantland where he could stay in his lane and didn't get assigned stuff like this that's out of his wheelhouse.

Also people who say the 9ers didn't overpay in FA are fooling themselves. They have more money than they know what to do with and they can get out of these contracts by the time money might start to be an issue so it really doesn't matter, but they obviously overpaid.

Edit: worth saying that I also think B- is low. I only looked across the NFCW but nobody in the division graded it higher for him, as I recall. I'd say more of a B, and that low for the reasons he stated.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on May 30, 2017 at 9:17 PM ]
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Barnwell really isn't bad. He was much better on Grantland where he could stay in his lane and didn't get assigned stuff like this that's out of his wheelhouse.

Also people who say the 9ers didn't overpay in FA are fooling themselves. They have more money than they know what to do with and they can get out of these contracts by the time money might start to be an issue so it really doesn't matter, but they obviously overpaid.

Edit: worth saying that I also think B- is low. I only looked across the NFCW but nobody in the division graded it higher for him, as I recall. I'd say more of a B, and that low for the reasons he stated.

Actually no they didn't overspend, and they won't have any cap issues by the time they'd "need" to get out those deals, their cap is fine for through 2022.
Is this the same guy that made the horrible receiver core rankings?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I read this the other day. Where did this Kyle Shanahan was almost out of a coordinator job come from? The write up insinuates it like the Falcons struggled offensively​ or something in 2015 and Shanahan was on the hot seat. They finished with the seventh ranked offense that year and it's also well known that Kyle has a complex system that takes time to learn, which no surprise the falcons were even better year two offensively.

Im not sure what he meant by that either. I didn't follow Shanahan that closely but I never heard he was on the hot seat.

This is why:

Ryan has been in a rut lately and it's shown on the scoreboard. The Falcons have only averaged 16.3 points per game over their past six games, a big reason why they're 1-5 since Week 6. The Falcons have been running the ball less over the past six weeks and asking Ryan to do more, which hasn't produced great results.

Ryan has thrown eight interceptions over the past six weeks after only throwing four through the first five weeks of the season.

Ryan leads the NFL in red-zone interceptions with four, meaning that he's constantly killing scoring opportunities. According to ESPN, Ryan has gotten so frustrated that he decided to voice his offensive concerns to Shanahan "behind closed doors."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-matt-ryan-overwhelmed-by-kyle-shanahans-offense-in-atlanta/

Originally posted by pdizo916:
He gave them a b- for the john lynch hire and over paying for vets in wgich the niners had a billion dollars of cap room. Grade seems too low for me

Seriously. We're still something like $65m under the cap.
[ Edited by captveg on May 30, 2017 at 10:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone