LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 322 users in the forums

2017 Jersey number changes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by CityKing415:
B.Y's number given out??

Who the hell is Watson

thats what I just yelled at my screen...

Originally posted by kazak13:
strange. Thomas was already seen sporting 96.. 33 is a RB number.. Robinson looks better with 26.
its about time BY's number to be worn again.. he was a great niner but come on.. cant keep retiring numbers of people who play above average.. raiders issed 24, cowboys issed 88, patriots issued 93. 80 and even the bears issued 50.. i dont see BY better than any of these..

B.Y. was tha last of tha great 9ers have some respect for his greatness!!!
Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area has given us an update on jersey numbers of a few San Francisco 49ers players as the team kicks off practices for their organized team activities this week.

While rookie defensive lineman Solomon Thomas cannot participate in team activities until mid-June, when Stanford's finals are complete, it appears that he has been issued number 94. That is a change from the number 96 jersey that he wore during the 49ers' rookie minicamp earlier this month.

Rookie running back Joe Williams wore number 33 on his jersey at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles last week. He has now been issued a jersey with number 32 on it.

Second-year cornerback Rashard Robinson still has a jersey number of 33, which is the number that he wore during his rookie campaign in 2016. There was a report earlier this month from Niners Wire that Robinson was changing his number to 26.

For the first time since Bryant Young retired from the NFL following the 2007 season, the 49ers have reissued his jersey number. Linebacker Dekoda Watson will wear the number.

Of course, it is important to note that jersey numbers are subject to change before the season starts and we have a lot of offseason left to go.

The 49ers have entered Phase Three of their offseason program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activities. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are. Following these "OTAs," which conclude on June 9th, the 49ers will hold a mandatory minicamp from June 13th through 15th.
Why the hell is Dekoda fuc_ing Watson wearing BY's number? Why the fu_k isn't By's number retired
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Why the hell is Dekoda fuc_ing Watson wearing BY's number? Why the fu_k isn't By's number retired

Maybe it's just until pre season and all the numbers get squashed out.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Maybe it's just until pre season and all the numbers get squashed out.

I hope so . . .
Originally posted by kazak13:
strange. Thomas was already seen sporting 96.. 33 is a RB number.. Robinson looks better with 26.
its about time BY's number to be worn again.. he was a great niner but come on.. cant keep retiring numbers of people who play above average.. raiders issed 24, cowboys issed 88, patriots issued 93. 80 and even the bears issued 50.. i dont see BY better than any of these..

Those teams you mention have a different retirement policy from the Niners as far as #'s. They retire JERSEYS. Niners retire the NUMBER.

RETIRED JERSEY Example: Cowboys' Drew Pearson #88...the JERSEY with his last name and number was honored, but the number can be reissued eventually (usually after a moratorium of no one wearing it for few years)...same thing happened with the IRVIN #88 jersey. Raiders and the other teams you mentioned probably practice the same policy

RETIRED NUMBER Example: 49ers retired #80 for Jerry Rice...it was unofficially "retired" when he left in 2000 (i.e., unavailable to anyone on the Niners as they never reissued it even after Jerry played 5 more seasons with other teams), then once JR stopped playing the Niners honored Jerry by officially retiring #80 for good. Unless JR gives permission, NO ONE will ever wear that number again, ever. I think maybe the Packers follow the same practice, but the Niners due to their SB legacy probably have by far have the most retired NUMBERS in the league.

Edit: A certain other team also practices the retired number policy. When Jerry played for them ( ) he extended the courtesy of getting permission from Steve Largent to wear #80, as the number had been retired in that team...probably wouldn't even have been noticed by those "fans" if that had happened today ...Dilfer did the same when he signed with us, asking John Brodie to "unretire" #12
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on May 23, 2017 at 6:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone