LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Ran Carthon - Director of Pro Personnel

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
DJ likes the move

Originally posted by GEEK:
Seems to be well respected, but not sure if he should get credit for those draft picks if he's a PRO personnel guy. He should be evaluated for FA pickups...which haven't been stellar in STL/LA during Fisher's tenure. They landed some decent guys this year, but they also had a coaching change which aids in player recruiting.

At the very least, he'll bring a fresh perspective on the 49ers state as he's tasked to evaluate our holes and strengths.

...thought the same.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
what kind of name is Arandric lol

Got me there.

Maybe his parents played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons?
I don't know much about Ran but I saw his father play with the Giants. He was tough as nails and was a "Parcels" guy, if Ran is anything like his dad the Niners may have something.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Your thinking of player personnel like what Peters does, working with scouts on college players and potential draftee's. Carthon worked in pro personnel, whom deal with scouting free agency, potential trades, etc.. They look for those pieces already in the NFL that might fit your team.

With that said in looking at some info on Carthon, he seems to be respected enough around the NFL, so thats always a good first sign.

I hear yeah I'm just going off what 49ers.com said he played a part in...

"Carthon joins the 49ers after spending the previous five seasons (2012-16) as Director of Pro Personnel with the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams. During his tenure with the Rams, he played a vital role in a personnel department that drafted consecutive Associated Press Rookie of the Year Award winners in DT Aaron Donald (Defense - 2014) and RB Todd Gurley (Offense - 2015). From 2012-16, the Rams organization also had nine players selected to the Pro Football Writers Association of America's All-Rookie team. During free agency this offseason, the Rams signed sought after free agents such as three-time Pro Bowl T Andrew Whitworth and WR Robert Woods."

Sounds like a solid move to me

Gotcha. The writer of the article looks like he wrote some misleading information because I've never heard of someone that worked in pro personnel having too much to do with the player personnel side of things. Their basically two separate departments. Either way, I like the hire.
Your thinking of player personnel like what Peters does, working with scouts on college players and potential draftee's. Carthon worked in pro personnel, whom deal with scouting free agency, potential trades, etc.. They look for those pieces already in the NFL that might fit your team.

With that said in looking at some info on Carthon, he seems to be respected enough around the NFL, so thats always a good first sign.

I hear yeah I'm just going off what 49ers.com said he played a part in...

"Carthon joins the 49ers after spending the previous five seasons (2012-16) as Director of Pro Personnel with the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams. During his tenure with the Rams, he played a vital role in a personnel department that drafted consecutive Associated Press Rookie of the Year Award winners in DT Aaron Donald (Defense - 2014) and RB Todd Gurley (Offense - 2015). From 2012-16, the Rams organization also had nine players selected to the Pro Football Writers Association of America's All-Rookie team. During free agency this offseason, the Rams signed sought after free agents such as three-time Pro Bowl T Andrew Whitworth and WR Robert Woods."

Sounds like a solid move to me

Gotcha. The writer of the article looks like he wrote some misleading information because I've never heard of someone that worked in pro personnel having too much to do with the player personnel side of things. Their basically two separate departments. Either way, I like the hire.

Yeah agreed
Thanks Willis for keeping me from making a fool of myself with the question, "WHy do we need 3 guys in personnel (Peters, VP player personnel, then a Sr. personnel executive, and now, Carthon, a director of pro personnel)? "

With the explanation he works with FAs, and trades, ie, pro players already in the league....sure, i get that. Thanks Willis for breaking it down. Otherwise it looked initially like another guy in personnel and they just gave him a title. Your explanation was just fine and i get it now. Also i am beginning to get the Lynch hire, who has immediately surrounded himself with great personnel in areas where he had no experience. I loved the hire once I finally understood it, and am liking it better by the day. Just having talented people is one thing. It is obvious that John Lynch knows how to use them, rather than baalke just running everything. Input is 20x better, and to date, that has really worked out well for us.

Initially, it looked like John got extremely lucky in the draft. Now, when we know all that was entailed in the pre-draft prep, i am coming around to "Lynch was one helluva hire for us". He knows what he doesn't know, isn't afraid to acknowledge it, and just means he gets the best talent for that slot, but then oversees it. Really novel for that kind of move around here. Also, it may make other teams think twice about hiring a GM. Previously, they came from another team, and were moving up, or had just been released. But new guys? Nope, not really. It seems like it was jsut the same bunch of retreads, moving from team to team.

And nobody here had any idea about the Lynch hire. Regardless of whose idea it was, Jed's or his family, mabye even uncle eddie...it was brilliant. And we haven't seen one ball snapped in anger yet.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 20, 2017 at 7:48 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Meh, if you are going to get an inexperienced GM, there are a lot of folks that might work that are equivalent to a John Lynch. Case in point, John McVay, he was fired as a head coach of the Giants and Walsh hires him to be GM. He had no experience as a GM but did a hell of a job for Walsh. Mike Shanahan, in my opinion, would have been a perfect hire as a GM, just like John McVay was for Walsh. But I think for political reasons, it was too soon or the optics were not favorable, or Kyle didn't want his dad overshadowing his gig. My point is that the *real* GM in this case is Mike Shanahan. Now I know he isn't on the management flow chart, but his presence is undeniable, and I think the inexperienced Lynch is going to rely on him heavily these next couple of months - as he puts his staff together and goes into the NFL 2017-2018 year and beyond. Mr Ran Carthon guy isn't going to be the real cog behind the GM, in my opinion, I think it's Mike Shanahan.

Lynch has control of the 90 man roster shanny has control of the 53 man roster....from the sounds of it, its going to be a collection of people making a decision not on "all powerful" dictator like we've had in the past.

From the looks of it, I agree, it looks like it will be a collaboration. But from what I understand about how Lynch got hired, he called Kyle (not Jed York or Paraage) and it was Kyle that brought him up to the 49er brain trust. I think that is important because Lynch then *owes* Kyle for his job and pretty much already is in a more subservient role to Kyle from the git-go. I think Jed got tired of GM trying to coach and dominate the situation. I think from the looks of it, he's going in the direction of giving the HC a lot more control than the Harbaugh-Baalke design. I think he see's the success that Pete Caroll has had up in SeaChicken Land and wants to replicate it. Keep in mind Pete's organizational design is very much the way the 49er ran things under Eddie D. I think the guys Lynch is hiring are more administrative information gofer kind of guys and Lynch will be relying on Kyle and Mike to make his personnel and draft moves.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I can dig it.

The Rams suck though, lol.

Pretty much. I guess hiring late, you get the scraps.

What? Donald DROY in 2014 Gurley OROY in 2015 and a ton of pretty damn good defensive players on top of that...this guy doesn't coach the team but he's helped bring in talent.

Silly comment

Yeah, from the looks of it Ran's Carthon knows football. I think if I was Lynch I'd want somebody who not only knows about the game but played it also. Guys like Jerry West (of the Warriors) and John Wooden (UCLA) who played the game at the highest levels did very well when they transitioned to coaching or in Ran's case, evaluation of player personnel.
Meh, if you are going to get an inexperienced GM, there are a lot of folks that might work that are equivalent to a John Lynch. Case in point, John McVay, he was fired as a head coach of the Giants and Walsh hires him to be GM. He had no experience as a GM but did a hell of a job for Walsh. Mike Shanahan, in my opinion, would have been a perfect hire as a GM, just like John McVay was for Walsh. But I think for political reasons, it was too soon or the optics were not favorable, or Kyle didn't want his dad overshadowing his gig. My point is that the *real* GM in this case is Mike Shanahan. Now I know he isn't on the management flow chart, but his presence is undeniable, and I think the inexperienced Lynch is going to rely on him heavily these next couple of months - as he puts his staff together and goes into the NFL 2017-2018 year and beyond. Mr Ran Carthon guy isn't going to be the real cog behind the GM, in my opinion, I think it's Mike Shanahan.

Lynch has control of the 90 man roster shanny has control of the 53 man roster....from the sounds of it, its going to be a collection of people making a decision not on "all powerful" dictator like we've had in the past.

From the looks of it, I agree, it looks like it will be a collaboration. But from what I understand about how Lynch got hired, he called Kyle (not Jed York or Paraage) and it was Kyle that brought him up to the 49er brain trust. I think that is important because Lynch then *owes* Kyle for his job and pretty much already is in a more subservient role to Kyle from the git-go. I think Jed got tired of GM trying to coach and dominate the situation. I think from the looks of it, he's going in the direction of giving the HC a lot more control than the Harbaugh-Baalke design. I think he see's the success that Pete Caroll has had up in SeaChicken Land and wants to replicate it. Keep in mind Pete's organizational design is very much the way the 49er ran things under Eddie D. I think the guys Lynch is hiring are more administrative information gofer kind of guys and Lynch will be relying on Kyle and Mike to make his personnel and draft moves.

Nice analysis, Giedi.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thanks Willis for keeping me from making a fool of myself with the question, "WHy do we need 3 guys in personnel (Peters, VP player personnel, then a Sr. personnel executive, and now, Carthon, a director of pro personnel)? "

With the explanation he works with FAs, and trades, ie, pro players already in the league....sure, i get that. Thanks Willis for breaking it down. Otherwise it looked initially like another guy in personnel and they just gave him a title. Your explanation was just fine and i get it now. Also i am beginning to get the Lynch hire, who has immediately surrounded himself with great personnel in areas where he had no experience. I loved the hire once I finally understood it, and am liking it better by the day. Just having talented people is one thing. It is obvious that John Lynch knows how to use them, rather than baalke just running everything. Input is 20x better, and to date, that has really worked out well for us.

Initially, it looked like John got extremely lucky in the draft. Now, when we know all that was entailed in the pre-draft prep, i am coming around to "Lynch was one helluva hire for us". He knows what he doesn't know, isn't afraid to acknowledge it, and just means he gets the best talent for that slot, but then oversees it. Really novel for that kind of move around here. Also, it may make other teams think twice about hiring a GM. Previously, they came from another team, and were moving up, or had just been released. But new guys? Nope, not really. It seems like it was jsut the same bunch of retreads, moving from team to team.

And nobody here had any idea about the Lynch hire. Regardless of whose idea it was, Jed's or his family, mabye even uncle eddie...it was brilliant. And we haven't seen one ball snapped in anger yet.

Well, I betcha Jed reached out to his Uncle once he knew the season was going towards 2-12. I read an article saying that his parents were actively trying to get Jed some help on the football side once they knew the season was gone, and who better to get advice from than a 5 time superbowl winning Franchise owner. I also think Eddie and Denise have patched up their relationship after Denise took control of the 49ers back in the late '90's. From what I've read regarding Eddie D, he still loves the team and the game, and is willing to lend a hand to Jed if he ever needs him. Eddie D really regarded highly, Jim Harbaugh.

Looks like the idea came from, um, John Lynch

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/106240-shanahan-john-lynchs-request-become-49ers-came-nowhere/
Originally posted by English:

Looks like the idea came from, um, John Lynch

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/106240-shanahan-john-lynchs-request-become-49ers-came-nowhere/

Yes, English, i posted some time ago, that the Lynch hire was akin to Dick Cheney running a talent scout show for the VP of the US. In the end, Cheney came to Geo Bush and said, "I'm the best man for the job"...and he probably was. Same deal here, English. I agree with you. But i still feel Jed got nudged somehow by someone in the family, and most likely it was uncle Eddie. But , that is jsut a guess. No matter how you slice it, the hire of Lynch was , well, let's say, "unique" in the way it came about. Went from being hired as a trouble shooter to figure out why and where the wheels came off and ends up being the guy he was interviewing for....ie GM. And to date, i would say it was a fantastic hire.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Googled some interviews with ran . . . like shan, he's all football.
Share 49ersWebzone