LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 188 users in the forums

Ran Carthon - Director of Pro Personnel

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We went from this:

Front Office:
CEO - Trent Baalke
Chief Strategy Officer/Executive Vice President of Football Operations - Trent Baalke
Director of Football Administration & Analytics - Trent Baalke
President of Football Operations/General Manager - Trent Baalke
Vice President of Player Personnel - Trent Baalke
Sr. Personnel Executive - Trent Baalke
Director of Pro Personnel - Trent Baalke
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel - Trent Baalke
Head Coach - Trent Baalke
Administrative Assistant to the Head Coach - Trent Baalke

...to this:

Front Office:
CEO - Jed York
Chief Strategy Officer/Executive Vice President of Football Operations - Paraag Marathe
Director of Football Administration & Analytics - Brian Hampton
President of Football Operations/General Manager - John Lynch
Vice President of Player Personnel - Adam Peters
Sr. Personnel Executive - Martin Mayhew
Director of Pro Personnel - Ran Carthon
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel - X
Head Coach - Kyle Shanahan
Administrative Assistant to the Head Coach - Nick Kray

"Ran is expected to hit the ground running"
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
We went from this:

Front Office:
CEO - Trent Baalke
Chief Strategy Officer/Executive Vice President of Football Operations - Trent Baalke
Director of Football Administration & Analytics - Trent Baalke
President of Football Operations/General Manager - Trent Baalke
Vice President of Player Personnel - Trent Baalke
Sr. Personnel Executive - Trent Baalke
Director of Pro Personnel - Trent Baalke
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel - Trent Baalke
Head Coach - Trent Baalke
Administrative Assistant to the Head Coach - Trent Baalke

...to this:

Front Office:
CEO - Jed York
Chief Strategy Officer/Executive Vice President of Football Operations - Paraag Marathe
Director of Football Administration & Analytics - Brian Hampton
President of Football Operations/General Manager - John Lynch
Vice President of Player Personnel - Adam Peters
Sr. Personnel Executive - Martin Mayhew
Director of Pro Personnel - Ran Carthon
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel - X
Head Coach - Kyle Shanahan
Administrative Assistant to the Head Coach - Nick Kray

Yeah, I agree it's moving forward, but there's that Jed York guy still there.... Maybe we can trade him for a 7th rounder or something...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Pretty much. I guess hiring late, you get the scraps.

This really isnt hiring late. Teams normally swap out scouts and most executives after the draft.

All I know about Carthon as far as being an executive goes is that he appears to be well respected within his profession so I am hoping he continues upgrading a front office that seemingly has had a strong offseason thus far.

Yeah the Bills fired Whaley following the draft. That late in the process you ha e to stick with your draft board, and bring in a guy after to start planning for the next year. We got really lucky landing Peters when we did, considering how close it was to free agency.

With all these guys Lynch brought in, the 49ers have one of the strongest front offices in all of football. That's something you couldn't say over the last decade.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by saniner:

This really isnt hiring late. Teams normally swap out scouts and most executives after the draft.

All I know about Carthon as far as being an executive goes is that he appears to be well respected within his profession so I am hoping he continues upgrading a front office that seemingly has had a strong offseason thus far.

Yeah the Bills fired Whaley following the draft. That late in the process you ha e to stick with your draft board, and bring in a guy after to start planning for the next year. We got really lucky landing Peters when we did, considering how close it was to free agency.

With all these guys Lynch brought in, the 49ers have one of the strongest front offices in all of football. That's something you couldn't say over the last decade.

Meh, if you are going to get an inexperienced GM, there are a lot of folks that might work that are equivalent to a John Lynch. Case in point, John McVay, he was fired as a head coach of the Giants and Walsh hires him to be GM. He had no experience as a GM but did a hell of a job for Walsh. Mike Shanahan, in my opinion, would have been a perfect hire as a GM, just like John McVay was for Walsh. But I think for political reasons, it was too soon or the optics were not favorable, or Kyle didn't want his dad overshadowing his gig. My point is that the *real* GM in this case is Mike Shanahan. Now I know he isn't on the management flow chart, but his presence is undeniable, and I think the inexperienced Lynch is going to rely on him heavily these next couple of months - as he puts his staff together and goes into the NFL 2017-2018 year and beyond. Mr Ran Carthon guy isn't going to be the real cog behind the GM, in my opinion, I think it's Mike Shanahan.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I can dig it.

The Rams suck though, lol.

What? Donald DROY in 2014 Gurley OROY in 2015 and a ton of pretty damn good defensive players on top of that...this guy doesn't coach the team but he's helped bring in talent.

Silly comment
Meh, if you are going to get an inexperienced GM, there are a lot of folks that might work that are equivalent to a John Lynch. Case in point, John McVay, he was fired as a head coach of the Giants and Walsh hires him to be GM. He had no experience as a GM but did a hell of a job for Walsh. Mike Shanahan, in my opinion, would have been a perfect hire as a GM, just like John McVay was for Walsh. But I think for political reasons, it was too soon or the optics were not favorable, or Kyle didn't want his dad overshadowing his gig. My point is that the *real* GM in this case is Mike Shanahan. Now I know he isn't on the management flow chart, but his presence is undeniable, and I think the inexperienced Lynch is going to rely on him heavily these next couple of months - as he puts his staff together and goes into the NFL 2017-2018 year and beyond. Mr Ran Carthon guy isn't going to be the real cog behind the GM, in my opinion, I think it's Mike Shanahan.

Lynch has control of the 90 man roster shanny has control of the 53 man roster....from the sounds of it, its going to be a collection of people making a decision not on "all powerful" dictator like we've had in the past.
what kind of name is Ran lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I can dig it.

The Rams suck though, lol.

What? Donald DROY in 2014 Gurley OROY in 2015 and a ton of pretty damn good defensive players on top of that...this guy doesn't coach the team but he's helped bring in talent.

Silly comment

Your thinking of player personnel like what Peters does, working with scouts on college players and potential draftee's. Carthon worked in pro personnel, whom deal with scouting free agency, potential trades, etc.. They look for those pieces already in the NFL that might fit your team.

With that said in looking at some info on Carthon, he seems to be respected enough around the NFL, so thats always a good first sign.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on May 19, 2017 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

Short for Arandric.

Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

Short for Arandric.

what kind of name is Arandric lol
I guess...
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Your thinking of player personnel like what Peters does, working with scouts on college players and potential draftee's. Carthon worked in pro personnel, whom deal with scouting free agency, potential trades, etc.. They look for those pieces already in the NFL that might fit your team.

With that said in looking at some info on Carthon, he seems to be respected enough around the NFL, so thats always a good first sign.

I hear yeah I'm just going off what 49ers.com said he played a part in...

"Carthon joins the 49ers after spending the previous five seasons (2012-16) as Director of Pro Personnel with the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams. During his tenure with the Rams, he played a vital role in a personnel department that drafted consecutive Associated Press Rookie of the Year Award winners in DT Aaron Donald (Defense - 2014) and RB Todd Gurley (Offense - 2015). From 2012-16, the Rams organization also had nine players selected to the Pro Football Writers Association of America's All-Rookie team. During free agency this offseason, the Rams signed sought after free agents such as three-time Pro Bowl T Andrew Whitworth and WR Robert Woods."

Sounds like a solid move to me
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Seems to be well respected, but not sure if he should get credit for those draft picks if he's a PRO personnel guy. He should be evaluated for FA pickups...which haven't been stellar in STL/LA during Fisher's tenure. They landed some decent guys this year, but they also had a coaching change which aids in player recruiting.

At the very least, he'll bring a fresh perspective on the 49ers state as he's tasked to evaluate our holes and strengths.
Share 49ersWebzone