LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Which position group is the biggest question mark entering camp?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which position group is the biggest question mark entering camp?

It's gotta be cornerback. At least there is some debate there if we will be good or not. Does anyone think our wide receiver group will be good?
Edge rusher and CB.

Our secondary cannot afford a single injury. We have SS depth, but that's it.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
It's gotta be cornerback. At least there is some debate there if we will be good or not. Does anyone think our wide receiver group will be good?

I think our WR Corps will be pretty good. We have guys that can separate and QBs that are effective in the pocket. The running game should open things up too.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
RB or TE, we. are loaded with an excess of talent at both positions and I bet Shannahan will give everyone there a fair shot at roster and depth positions
All of the above.
Take your pick. If the starter is established then the backup isn't. It's going to be a free for all this preseason, both the camp and the games. With so many jobs up for grabs, preseason games are going to be real fun this year.
If "biggest" is determined by the number of players that are not solid locks for positions in a position group, then there is only one edge rusher with nobody a solid lock for the position, three cornerback positions that no one has locked down (including slot corner) and four offensive line positions. So, if number of positions without solid locks is the determining factor, then it seems like the answer should be "the offensive line". That's the one I picked for the poll.

But if "biggest" refers to which position group has one or more positions that don't have a player that is a solid lock and those positions are more critical than others to the success of the team, then you could make a case for edge rusher, or corner or receivers or even non-edge rushing linebackers. But outside of QB, I think you can muster all kinds of objective facts to make reasonable arguments about which position group is most important to the team, but I also think that to a very large degree how you land on that argument depends on subjective judgments as much as anything else.
[ Edited by 49erphan on May 19, 2017 at 4:47 AM ]
Went into the draft with a giant hole at edge, left the draft with a giant hole at edge.
Needs:
1. QB
2. WR
3. Edge
4. CB
5. OL

QB by far is our biggest need. Then WR. eg. If we had Aaron Rodgers and Julio Jones we would be in the playoffs and do well with our current roster.

Lots of good notes on Barrows' review of Tuesday.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article152259997.html

* Among the rookies, slot receiver Trent Taylor had a big day, especially during 7-on-7 sessions when he was a favorite target of the quarterbacks. "Trent's a guy who is very good at separating," Shanahan said. "He's very quick. He's a very tough player. His feet are usually under him. So, he always can make a couple moves in a short area which is a quality that a lot of people look for in a slot receiver."
tight end
we have serviceable QB's , a pretty decent O-Line , veteran RB's and promising younger backs with speed, but we don't have the WR's that put the fear into defensive coordinators, Kyle will need to rely on creativity with his formations and shifts to get our best weapons in position to make plays , which is why I see Garcon and Taylor having strong seasons , I'm rooting for Goodwin and Robinson to make an impact , and hopefully Burbridge can have a strong sophomore season, and I have a feeling McDonald and Kittles will be our top 2 playmaking TE's, hopefully they are the second coming of Eric Johnson and Ted Popson
QB by far
I think WR and CB easily. The starters at those spots arent well defined beyond Garcon and you could see a lot of changes happen throughout the offseason workouts.

You could these guys align in pretty much any order.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 24, 2017 at 7:51 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone