LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Jimmie Gilbert, OLB, UDFA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by strickac:
Yep!! I watched all the Buffs' games last year and Gilbert can play. Awuzie was our best defender and there were stretches where Gilbert looked like the best player on the defense.

He's extremely athletic. If he were 15-20 lbs heavier he would've been snatched up early. I loved Leonard Floyd coming out and the guy he reminded me of in flashes. Let Gilbert chase down the QB and you'll be pleased.

If he had another year at CU I think he'd be a 1st-2nd round prospect. I can see him thriving off the edge, similar to Avril.

Very very happy he's a Niner.

Great insight man. Let's hope he can play that Frank Clark role here.

Beating up his girlfriend? I'd rather say, "Let him play the role Avril had before he was starting."

"On-the-field role, brother, on-the-field role." Yours is way safer...crack me up!
You got me...the way Saleh spoke of him, he seemed to have an idea of where to play him: SAM/ER? We'll see on this one...

Yup gonna see how it plays out...don't see him more than a SF guy
231 pounds? It will take two years to build this guy up.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You got me...the way Saleh spoke of him, he seemed to have an idea of where to play him: SAM/ER? We'll see on this one...

Yup gonna see how it plays out...don't see him more than a SF guy

I reviewed him a while ago and this is what I had noted:

Reviewing this guy today. This may turn out to be a heck of a move. We signed him to a 3-year contract for a reason. Great leader, intense, violent on the field and most importantly, an edge rusher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMZ6txMFR_Q

Based on what Saleh said, it sounds like we'll roll with a guy like Eli Harold at SAM for base run downs (30%) but will sub in an edge rusher like Dekota Watson (70%). If Harold can prove to be the better edge rusher and stay stout against the run, he could play almost every down...if not, Dekota is about to get some significant pass rush opportunities off the edge from the SAM. Hell, given our current personnel, he could end up being our premier pass rusher which would mean he'd be rushing from the Elephant (longer shot here).

All 4 years of college and as a LB, racked up 32.5 TFL and 11.5 sacks. Being able to focus on just edge rushing now, I'm curious to see how this pans out.

How much of this ^ pans out? Stay tuned...

Reviewing this guy today. This may turn out to be a heck of a move. We signed him to a 3-year contract for a reason. Great leader, intense, violent on the field and most importantly, an edge rusher.

Based on what Saleh said, it sounds like we'll roll with a guy like Eli Harold at SAM for base run downs (30%) but will sub in an edge rusher like Dekota Watson (70%). If Harold can prove to be the better edge rusher and stay stout against the run, he could play almost every down...if not, Dekota is about to get some significant pass rush opportunities off the edge from the SAM. Hell, given our current personnel, he could end up being our premier pass rusher which would mean he'd be rushing from the Elephant (longer shot here).

All 4 years of college and as a LB, racked up 32.5 TFL and 11.5 sacks. Being able to focus on just edge rushing now, I'm curious to see how this pans out.

I think he'll fight for snaps on 2nd down where it can be a 50-50 run or pass IMO. I think Watson was an insurance signing, with some upside and special teams value. Nobody gives a fudge about 1M dollars when we're talking possibly cutting someone better lol.
Fun fact... He was coached by an old Niner coach in Jim Leavitt.

Watched all the CU games as well, alma mater. Gilbert has good speed and great hustle but its worth noting CU played a defense with 3-4 roots so it will be interesting to see how well he does with his hand in the ground as a rusher or if they convert him to one of the 4-3 OLB spots.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

I think he'll fight for snaps on 2nd down where it can be a 50-50 run or pass IMO. I think Watson was an insurance signing, with some upside and special teams value. Nobody gives a fudge about 1M dollars when we're talking possibly cutting someone better lol.

Sounds about right given what we know right now!
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Sounds about right given what we know right now!

Speculation 101
Practice squad guy this year and next year he fluid compete for a roster spot.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIb1X-FQviE

He's been in the league for 7 yrs now and has 4 sacks...I could careless what he did in college so long ago. We will see but he's last on my list as far as expecting anything other that ST. Which is fine.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's been in the league for 7 yrs now and has 4 sacks...I could careless what he did in college so long ago. We will see but he's last on my list as far as expecting anything other that ST. Which is fine.

NY, how does one play 7 yrs and get just 4 sacks? Was he injured, was he OTB(on the bench), was he just ST, or what? IF that 7 yrs/4 sacks is not a typo, how did he hang around so long? I must be missing something, no?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NY, how does one play 7 yrs and get just 4 sacks? Was he injured, was he OTB(on the bench), was he just ST, or what? IF that 7 yrs/4 sacks is not a typo, how did he hang around so long? I must be missing something, no?

Same way Matthew Slater has 1 reception in 6 years with the Pats as a WR. Special teams contributions but not good enough to get much time on offense or defense.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Dont see A Lynch and Saleh meshing well.
Saleh has a hot fire in him; lynch more like a bong-friendly bic lighter.
Ill bet saleh rips into him during game review after seeing the glaring underachievement
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Same way Matthew Slater has 1 reception in 6 years with the Pats as a WR. Special teams contributions but not good enough to get much time on offense or defense.

It all comes down to utilization. If Saleh picked him, he picked him for a reason. As to what role that is, or how effective, is yet to be determined. I don't like to use the past as indicators in what this defense will be tomorrow. We just don't know yet...
[ Edited by NCommand on May 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone