There are 210 users in the forums

Jerry Rice 1991 All-Pro selection

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:

Doesn't change his legacy at all, but it drives me nuts when players dont get the recognition/awards they deserved.

I agree with this. It drives me nuts when players dont get the awards they deserve as well. The fact that it's Jerry Rice who got screwed out of an award makes it easier to stomach, because as you said, it doesnt change his legacy at all.

But if this happened to a fringe HOFer for example, it absolutely WOULD change a legacy.....which is why it bothers me so much when awards are given to the wrong person.
Damn. Pretty dogsh*t year by Jerry. We should've cut him.
Nobody takes it to the house with the consistency of a Jerry Rice. WRs just don't do that as much anymore. Maybe for a game but not from week to week. Simply amazing thank God he was a Niner.
Thread fail...

...2nd page and hasn't devolved into Young vs Bono vs hypothetical non-injured Joe b***hfest
That was a weird year. The team started 4-6 before rattling off 6 straight wins to finish 10-6. Missed the playoffs. The media probably overlooked Rice's season because of the poor start.
Mvpotj

Voters just get tired of voting for the same guy every year.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That was a weird year. The team started 4-6 before rattling off 6 straight wins to finish 10-6. Missed the playoffs. The media probably overlooked Rice's season because of the poor start.

It still happens today. players on winning teams get all credit even when someone else performed better
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on May 9, 2017 at 9:42 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Mvpotj

Voters just get tired of voting for the same guy every year.

All-Pro can be like the Gold Glove award in baseball. A guy gets on autopilot as the best at a position, and as long as they put up their usual stats, they get the nod every year. Its weird that Rice was on autopilot, had a dominant year, and got bumped to 2nd team for a couple guys who werent even better.
He also got totally screwed out of the 1987 MVP award. 22 TD's in 12 games, and they gave it to John Elway for a mediocre season. Makes no sense.
Please football hurry up and start dont need more meaningless threads like this

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Please football hurry up and start dont need more meaningless threads like this

So we can have 100 threads about who the starting QB should be?
this is so damn petty. It happened 26 f**king years ago.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
this is so damn petty. It happened 26 f**king years ago.

What does it matter when it happened?
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Jerry is still GOAT

He was a cheater.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Was just looking at Rice's career. WTF is this? In 1991 they gave Michael Irvin and Haywood Jeffires 1st team All-Pro over Rice? It ruined his 11 year 1st team All-Pro streak.

Irvin - 92 rec. 1523 yds, 8 TD's
Jeffires - 100 rec. 1181 yds, 7 TD's

Rice - 80 rec. 1206 yds, 14 TD's

Thats some BS.

I've always thought he got slighted from 1991 First Team All Pro, but even worse the 1987 NFL MVP Award (I mean he won every other MVP/POY award that year, except the AP MVP). Had he gotten these (which he deserved), he'd be the only NFL player with 11 First Team All Pros. Instead he shares the most with Jim Otto with 10. And he'd be the only WR ever to be named NFL MVP.

But something interesting about his 1991 season. He injured his knee during the season, which wasn't severe enough for him to sit out, but for a 6 week stretch, he was clearly not himself and was basically a decoy. If you look at his game logs, you'll be able to tell which 6 games I'm talking about. In those games he had 24 catches for 196 yards (a measly 8 yards per catch) and 1 TD. The other 10 games he had 56 catches for 1010 yards and 13 TDs. Glaring difference. It would be like Michael Jordan suddenly averaging 12 points per game for a month of the season... Had Rice stayed healthy that year, he could have had one of his best years ever and this would have been with Young/Bono, his first year without Montana.

He had a similar situation in 1988 when in the away Rams game, he suffered an ankle injury which set him back for 5-6 games. His numbers that year were also among his least impressive during his prime. He was healthy just in time for the run at the end of the season and that great postseason!
Share 49ersWebzone