LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

If Hoyer, Barkley, or Beathard can get us 9 wins this season do you still want Cousins?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hell No! I would want to save that money and use it to buy even more highest quality players. Cousins will cost $130mil or so over 4 years or so...
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Hmm. To me that would indicate that Shanahan truly is a QB whisperer of the highest quality. I'd be confident in him being able to draft a qb in the 1st round that could be better than Cousins and would save us a ton of money.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
This is how I see it, if it's Hoyer who wins 9 games and the staff doesn't see anything special in Beathard or Barkley then yes we trade for cousins or better yet trade up for the QB Shanahan wants in the draft and have him sit and learn while Hoyer continues to start..if it's Beathard who comes in as a rookie and shows promise then no to cousins but yes to still drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd..

This absolutely work for me, and it should work for many others. Screw spending so much money on Cousins while some of our roster suffers.. No one player is bigger that the TEAM..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on May 9, 2017 at 2:31 AM ]
BEATHARD
Depends on how the wins come....if it's based off defense like the Texans then yes I want Kirk or draft a qb. I highly doubt hoyer is gonna turn into Kurt warner though lol
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
Hmm. To me that would indicate that Shanahan truly is a QB whisperer of the highest quality. I'd be confident in him being able to draft a qb in the 1st round that could be better than Cousins and would save us a ton of money.

Well said. We have so many other needs then just QB. Get a rookie and groom him for the next 10-14 years.
Originally posted by Jasta:
If it's Beathard? 9 wins in a rookie season? Hell no. We just found our new franchise QB.

That's not going to happen though. If it's Hoyer? Depends on how Cousins played this season, they're both on the far side of their careers, neither has a proven play-off record... would all depend on how much Hoyer did to win those 9 games.

But that's not happening either.

A much more likely conundrum is we get 5 or 6 wins and Hoyer plays well enough that he probably deserved a couple more. Then Cousins has a 5 win season and looks like s**t because he doesn't want to be at that dumpster fire anymore. Then we have to figure out if he's worth it.

. I have a bad gut feeling also that Cousins may not have a very good year and if he still wants to come here, you have to figure out if he's worth it.
[ Edited by kezar49er on May 9, 2017 at 7:10 AM ]
9 wins including the preseason games? Yeah sure
if it's Beathard that wins us 9 games, then I'd say we've found our QB, why sign Cousins to a deal that will take a lions share of the salary cap?

I'm all for a homegrown QB , I'm rooting for CJ to have a strong rookie season
Originally posted by Eli_23:
9 wins including the preseason games? Yeah sure

lol I say between 4-5 regular season wins is about right. Shanny isn't some QB whisperer. He struggled with the Falcons and Matty ice he will struggle a bit with this roster until he has more time.

Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
If the 9 wins were all offense with Hoyer passing for 3700+ yards, 30+ TDs (less than 15 ints) at a 65%+ completion rate then we can talk about passing on Cousins.

Probably not going to happen. If it did happen I would probably draft a QB and groom him behind Hoyer for two years.

Funny you say that. Odds are against him but it's possible. 2015 season he played 11 games and was on pace for 28 TDs and 10 TDs. 3790 yards . 60.7 percent. Although he did have the luxury of Deandre Hopkins and O'Brien as a coach.

No run game to help him half the time. But has to be noted that the two games where Arian Foster played well, Hoyer did amazing. And the few games where the team had over 100 rushing yards , Hoyer killed it. As long as Hoyer has some time to throw it and even a decent running game to take pressure off, then he has plenty potential to play well.
No to Cousins regardless is my opinion. We passed on multiple franchise QBs in this draft, we would be beyond stupid not to take one next draft.
If CJ 1) earns the starting job as a rookie, and 2) takes this roster to 9 wins, then we already have our FQB.

And were that to happen, with this new staff, all the cap room we're carrying over, and all the draft picks we have next season, the niners are a legit contenders in 2-3 years.
Originally posted by awp8912:
No to Cousins regardless is my opinion. We passed on multiple franchise QBs in this draft, we would be beyond stupid not to take one next draft.

There's a significant portion of the league who would question whether anyone from this draft class was FQB material. I certainly think it's questionable. I guess we'll see.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Depends how they play.

I think this is the obvious answer.
Share 49ersWebzone