LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The TEs, who do you keep? How many do you keep?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Vance McDonald
Logan Paulsen
Garrett Celek
George Kittle
Cole Hikutini
Blake Bell

My hopes are to move on from Vance, hopefully find a trade partner. We gave him a contract he really didn't deserve

Paulsen, is a vet FA. He should be kept for situations: goal line blocking, two TE sets

Kittle, great gem in the draft. 100% on the roster. Maybe even TE1 imo.

Hikutini, keep this guy. Best receiver of all of these guys imo. Very under appreciated as a blocker. Anyone still unfamiliar with him, since he was a UDFA, here's some film against the national champs.

Celek, stone hands - move on

Bell, the QB turned TE that has yet to pan out. Too much talent to keep him around, move on.

My TE depth chart: Kittle, Paulsen, Hikutini
Vance or Celek will be dealt... There's a shot both are gone but I HIGHLY doubt it.
Bell and Celek are gone
I have us keeping 3. McDonald, Paulsen, and Kittle.

Vance could still be dealt if the right deal comes along, but I anticipate him sticking around for this year.

Celek should be gone. Wouldn't make sense retaining him at his salary for a 3rd or 4th string TE. I see Paulsen as a superior blocking tight end.

Bell hasn't been terrible, but hasn't really developed either. He really has to have a nice TC and pre-season to make the squad.

Hikutini has some ability. Ideal practice squad candidate
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 8, 2017 at 11:56 AM ]
McDonald
Kittle
Paulsen

Bell is still a project and is neither a good receiver nor blocker at this point.

Celek is a decent #2 TE but the additions of Kittle and Paulsen means he has no role. The former is a better receiver and blocker, the latter is a much better blocker leaving Celek out in the cold.

Everyone falls in love with UDFAs like Hikutini but there is good reason why he wasnt drafted coming out of a big program at Louisville, it certainly wasnt a lack of exposure. He is a limited player who is a weak blocker and that will likely lead him to a spot on the PS.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2017 at 11:58 AM ]
Vance, Paulsen, Kittle and Hikutini on the PS...I really don't know why people keep wanting to move from Vance? He was one of the only bright spots on our offense last yr....improved on drops still a above avg blocker his main issue is health.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
McDonald
Kittle
Paulsen

Bell is still a project and is neither a good receiver nor blocker at this point.

Celek is a decent #2 TE but the additions of Kittle and Paulsen means he has no role. The former is a better receiver and blocker, the latter is a much better blocker leaving Celek out in the cold.

Everyone falls in love with UDFAs like Hikutini but there is good reason why he wasnt drafted coming out of a big program at Louisville, it certainly wasnt a lack of exposure. He is a limited player who is a weak blocker and that will likely lead him to a spot on the PS.

I've liked Hikutini since before we signed him lol. Had he not been injured, I have no doubt he would've been drafted.
I've see a lot of stuff about him being a weak blocker, but when I watch film he doesn't look that way.. no he isn't a great blocker, but I definitely don't think he's a bad blocker. Watch the FSU tape, he does a lot of solid blocking.
He shows the receiving skills a lot more in the Clemson game, but still does some decent work blocking.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Vance, Paulsen, Kittle and Hikutini on the PS...I really don't know why people keep wanting to move from Vance? He was one of the only bright spots on our offense last yr....improved on drops still a above avg blocker his main issue is health.

For me it's the health and $, I'd like to get some value for him since I like both rookies we have rn. I think he'll be kept more than likely though because he's not worth that contract to another team
I think McDonald will be dealt also. I've pulled for him early, but just too many drop passes and fumbles.
As it stands:

Vance
Paulsen
Kittle
PS Hikutini

Bell and Celek won't make the final cuts.

I'm excited to see Vance play in a better system and with better players (Mainly QB) that will utilize his strengths. I hope he can make it the Reg season
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
As it stands:

Vance
Paulsen
Kittle
PS Hikutini

Bell and Celek won't make the final cuts.

This, and in that order...

I think Vance sticks around because of plays like this. Very good size and speed combination.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2017 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
For me it's the health and $, I'd like to get some value for him since I like both rookies we have rn. I think he'll be kept more than likely though because he's not worth that contract to another team

He's got a $4 million cap hit this yr which isnt much of anything considering we're flush with cash. His contract isn't really that outrageous

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/vance-mcdonald-12336/

There's a out there next yr and I'd actually like to see him with a qb for once (not that hoyer is much of anything).

I'd rather see what he can do this yr then get a conditional 5th or 6th...he doesn't perform then he's gone next yr.
Originally posted by LanceQ:
I think McDonald will be dealt also. I've pulled for him early, but just too many drop passes and fumbles.

I mean was there a ton of dropped balls and fumbles last yr? Dude's issue is health more than anything
Share 49ersWebzone