LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Predict 53 man Roster- 2017

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's not common to only keep 8 OL...9-10 is pretty standard.

That's true but we did it in 2011 and you gotta take into account the versatility we have on our line this season. You have multiple guys that can play anywhere on the interior in Zuttah, Barnes, Kilgore. You have Beadles who can play any position on the line. You have Gilliam with swing tackle potential. I think with that versatility, we can make 8 work.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
That's true but we did it in 2011 and you gotta take into account the versatility we have on our line this season. You have multiple guys that can play anywhere on the interior in Zuttah, Barnes, Kilgore. You have Beadles who can play any position on the line. You have Gilliam with swing tackle potential. I think with that versatility, we can make 8 work.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've carried 8 offensive lineman before. Its probably the bare minimum, but not that uncommon.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've carried 8 offensive lineman before. Its probably the bare minimum, but not that uncommon.
Yup. Harbaugh's first season. I think the versatility of a team's offensive line is what weighs the heaviest during cuts. That's why these multiple position guys are becoming more and more in-demand.
Yup. Harbaugh's first season. I think the versatility of a team's offensive line is what weighs the heaviest during cuts. That's why these multiple position guys are becoming more and more in-demand.

Exactly. If we have a swing tackle and an interior lineman who can backup at G and C, we could probably get away with carrying 8. I think only 7 dress on gamedays usually.

Exactly. If we have a swing tackle and an interior lineman who can backup at G and C, we could probably get away with carrying 8. I think only 7 dress on gamedays usually.

Too bad we're the 49ers and will go through about 30 OL...LOL
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Ray-Ray should not get cut. Guy can play WILL,MIKE and SS... very good depth and a push starter. We've had the worst luck with LBs last few years like WRs. I don't even know if Foster/Smith can even beat out Ray-Ray one of the nickel spots at this moment. He might be better than both of them in coverage.

Dude can also cross train as the SS (Tartt/Reid's) role should a rash of injuries occur (yeah, b/c THAT never happens to us).

He could be a candidate if they choose to . I wouldn't be shocked.

AGREED.

We're due for some good health damn it! I BELIEVEEEEEEE!

LOL

We're due for some good health damn it! I BELIEVEEEEEEE!

Seriously.

Ray-Ray should not get cut. Guy can play WILL,MIKE and SS... very good depth and a push starter. We've had the worst luck with LBs last few years like WRs. I don't even know if Foster/Smith can even beat out Ray-Ray one of the nickel spots at this moment. He might be better than both of them in coverage.

I like Ray-Ray, but at the same time I can't fail to consider the circumstances. Despite his versatility, he's coming of a season-ending injury. He was a fit at ILB in a 3-4, but it seems unlikely he takes on that role in the 4-3 with Foster would be the primary backup there. We know he struggled previously in the Raiders' 4-3, it's possible he struggles in this new system as well. If that's the case, he could be cut or traded.

I don't think salary cap would have much if any bearing on our decision if he's not playing well enough to stick. I hope he succeeds, but he stands out as my "gut feeling" choice that might not make it.

Regarding the OL, I know versatility plays an important part in determining how many to keep on the 53 but so does the injury factor for this position group, one that gets beat up over the course of a season. Thus, I'd prefer the Niners to go with 9 on the OL (dress 7 on game day) as it's one of the most important position groups in thinking about winning the battle of the trenches.

For the DL, I'm thinking they'll keep at least 8, maybe 9, in running a 4-3. What you'd have now in combining the OL & DL numbers is at least 17 total towards the 53. I wish the 53 would one day expand by at least a few, maybe to 56 or more, due to so many injuries during a season and also these teams do so much evaluating and finding talent (draft, undrafted free agents, etc.) yet they can only keep so many due to the 53 limitation. There's the PS, but those players aren't team-protected in any way, unfortunately.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
QB: Hoyer/Barkley/Beathard
RB: Hyde/Williams/Hightower/Bibbs
TE: Juszczyk/McDonald/Kittle/Paulsen
WR: Garcon/Kerley/Goodwin/Robinson/Taylor

LT: Staley
LG: Kilgore/Beadles
C: Zuttah/Barnes
RG: Garnett
RT: Brown/Gilliam

LE: Thomas/Carradine
NT: Mitchell/Jones
DT: Buckner/Blair/Dial
RE: Armstead/Lynch

LB: Brooks/Harold/Watson
LB: Bowman/Coyle
LB: Smith/Foster

CB: Robinson/Johnson/Witherspoon/Williams/Redmond
FS: Ward/Jones/Jerome
SS: Reid/Tartt

ST: Gould/Pinion/Nelson

PS:

Offense - Mullens (QB), Breida (RB), Smelter (WR), Hikutini (TE), Magnuson (G/T), Flynn (G)

Defense - Nwachukwu (DE), Taumoepenu (LEO), Colbert (CB/S), Iworah (CB)

Comments:

1. We only go 8 OL because Paulsen, Kittle, and McDonald can block.
2. We only go 5 WR because Kittle and McDonald can line up in the slot.
3. Lacking a true LEO, so let's hope we can replicate that production in the aggregate amongst Armstead, Carradine, Lynch, etc.
4. We go 5 CBs because Ward can flex to CB if needed.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
bead
Originally posted by Cooper22:
QB: Hoyer, Barkley, Beathard
FB: Juszczyk
RB: Hyde, Hightower, J Williams, Breida
WRx: Garcon, Cannon
WRz: Goodwin, A Robinson
WRy: Kerley, T Taylor
TE: V McDonald, Kittle, Paulsen
LG: Beadles, Garnett
C: Kilgore
RG: Zuttah, Magnuson
RT: T Brown, Gilliam

(Base Downs)
LEO: Armstead, Lynch, Taumoepenu
5T: Buckner, Dial
3T: S Thomas, Blair
1T: Mitchell, D Jones
SAM: M Smith, Harold, Brooks
MIKE: Bowman, Coyle
WILL: Foster, Armstrong
LCB: R Robinson
RCB: Witherspoon, D Johnson
NCB: Redmond, K Williams
FS: Ward, Jerome
SS: Reid, Tartt

LS: Nelson
K: Gould
P: Pinion

Closest Camp Battles:
Jerome vs Colbert
Breida vs Harris vs Bibbs
Cannon vs Bolden vs Smelter
Pita vs Gilbert
7th and 8th O-Line spots

beadles excels in this offense. and is better than kilgore. kilgore will be benched and zuttah will start at center
[ Edited by fan49 on May 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
QB: Hoyer/Barkley/Beathard
RB: Hyde/Williams/Hightower/Bibbs
TE: Juszczyk/McDonald/Kittle/Paulsen
WR: Garcon/Kerley/Goodwin/Robinson/Taylor

LG: Kilgore/Beadles
C: Zuttah/Barnes
RG: Garnett
RT: Brown/Gilliam

LE: Thomas/Carradine
NT: Mitchell/Jones
DT: Buckner/Blair/Dial
RE: Armstead/Lynch

LB: Brooks/Harold/Watson
LB: Bowman/Coyle
LB: Smith/Foster

CB: Robinson/Johnson/Witherspoon/Williams/Redmond
FS: Ward/Jones/Jerome
SS: Reid/Tartt

ST: Gould/Pinion/Nelson

PS:

Offense - Mullens (QB), Breida (RB), Smelter (WR), Hikutini (TE), Magnuson (G/T), Flynn (G)

Defense - Nwachukwu (DE), Taumoepenu (LEO), Colbert (CB/S), Iworah (CB)

Comments:

1. We only go 8 OL because Paulsen, Kittle, and McDonald can block.
2. We only go 5 WR because Kittle and McDonald can line up in the slot.
3. Lacking a true LEO, so let's hope we can replicate that production in the aggregate amongst Armstead, Carradine, Lynch, etc.
4. We go 5 CBs because Ward can flex to CB if needed.

kilgore will never start over beadles barring injjury. Yeah lets let a guy who cant finish a season start over a guy who made the pro bowl in this offense lol
Share 49ersWebzone