LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

49ers sign #1 UDFA S Lorenzo Jerome-St Francis

Originally posted by NCommand:
Near 53 lock at backup FS.

Good. I want guys waiting to start being special team aces.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Dude is definitely making the team IMHO.

He's in the same mold as Niners GM Lynch, both were former QB's. Link

[John Lynch] stayed home from the College World Series for two straight years while first trying to win the quarterback competition and then making the move to safety. It took some convincing from the legendary Bill Walsh, his coach at Stanford, for Lynch to come back to school
Near 53 lock at backup FS.

I do like this kid a lot.
I wonder if he had a bad 40 or if he just isn't that fast.
He's definitely a playmaker.
I might be expecting/hoping to much out of an undrafted kid
Jeep, sometimes, guys 40s don't match their speed. Take #80, Jerry , for example. He wasn't slow in the 40 but he sure wasn't a burner either. You never heard about him running a 4.3 or something like that. But you also know that once he had the ball in his hands, he had that extra gear and would just flat azz pull away from the SS or CB. Some guys are like that, and you don't know it til you've seen them in competition. On Lorenzo, i have seen just a tiny bit of tape we have, and he doesn't look like a burner. But maybe he gets good reads, or quick starts, or as someone said, he just has a good "node" (nose...it was a typo) for the ball. Like others, i think i see something and could see him ending up being special. The short stature...if he can get 3 feet off the vertical, height doesn't matter. Don't remember reading what his vertical was (if he even has one) but i bet he can jump. On the little film seen i agree with jeep...he sure looks like a playmaker. Man would i love that. UDFA... that would be just fine.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jeep, sometimes, guys 40s don't match their speed. Take #80, Jerry , for example. He wasn't slow in the 40 but he sure wasn't a burner either. You never heard about him running a 4.3 or something like that. But you also know that once he had the ball in his hands, he had that extra gear and would just flat azz pull away from the SS or CB. Some guys are like that, and you don't know it til you've seen them in competition. On Lorenzo, i have seen just a tiny bit of tape we have, and he doesn't look like a burner. But maybe he gets good reads, or quick starts, or as someone said, he just has a good "node" (nose...it was a typo) for the ball. Like others, i think i see something and could see him ending up being special. The short stature...if he can get 3 feet off the vertical, height doesn't matter. Don't remember reading what his vertical was (if he even has one) but i bet he can jump. On the little film seen i agree with jeep...he sure looks like a playmaker. Man would i love that. UDFA... that would be just fine.

Oh yea I agree some players do have "game speed" like Rice did.
I do hope he works out. Would love to hit on a undrafted pick along with Thomas and Foster
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

4.7 is very slow for a WR. But you're right about game speed. The speed that matters most in sports is not straight line speed like most people think, it's the speed in your change of direction. Jerome is similar to rice in that they change of directions on a dime.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Dude is definitely making the team IMHO.

He's in the same mold as Niners GM Lynch, both were former QB's. Link

[John Lynch] stayed home from the College World Series for two straight years while first trying to win the quarterback competition and then making the move to safety. It took some convincing from the legendary Bill Walsh, his coach at Stanford, for Lynch to come back to school

So good to have you back in here!
Byrd working out today... I wonder what the thinking is.
The thinking is to give everyone a chance because we have a number of young and up and coming players all bubbling along at the same time and from practice to practice; day to day; week to week; any one of them could be the better player. And that is EXciting!
The way I see it is if a udfa makes the team as a backup and contributes on special teams someone should have drafted him anyways lol good pick up.

Yes good thinking
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Byrd working out today... I wonder what the thinking is.

To leave no stone unturned. Just because they workout a player doesn't necessarily mean they have a lot of interest in signing them. Its a way to keep track of guys in case you have injuries down the road and also can help motivate the second and third string guys on the roster, letting them know that they had better bring it all the time or they can and will be replaced.
there are a number of possible reasons to see if he fits your mould.
Looking forward to seeing him compete
Share 49ersWebzone