LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 165 users in the forums

49ers sign #1 UDFA S Lorenzo Jerome-St Francis

Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris

Saints Francis DB Lorenzo Jerome is my highest rated player to go undrafted, No. 120.

Alex Cawley‏ @Cawley_WTAJ
@RedFlashFB safety Lorenzo Jerome will sign as an undrafted free agent with the @49ers.

Love it. He was the top UDFA available and I'm very shocked that he wasn't drafted. Small school player with limited size/measurables but with outstanding natural football instincts and awareness in coverage. He was always around the football and ended up with 18 INT's over the course of his college career. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a better player than Colbert.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM ]
https://twitter.com/NECralph/status/858473054153744385

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2017 at 6:31 PM ]
With the 1st pick in the 8th round...
He was my 4th highest to go Undrafted behind Louisville DE Devonte Fields, Oklahoma DT Charles Walker, and Richmond FS David Jones.
This kid will stick on the team. At the very least on the PS and I could him developing into a very good backup
I hope Jerome must beat to Eric Reid out. Come on Jerome!
Nice pickup by the 49ers
Jerome said he will be on a flight to San Francisco on Thursday to finalize the deal.

"It's big," the 5-foot-10, 195-pound Red Flash standout said. "Now I just have to elevate my game. Everybody is counting on me for big things – the 49ers, the coaching staff."

Jerome had been projected as high as a fourth-round pick, and others thought he might go in one of the later rounds based upon his outstanding showing in the Senior Bowl, when he intercepted two passes and forced a fumble.

He also had a strong performance in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. The leader of the Red Flash secondary was invited to the NFL combine in Indianapolis, and he later participated in a pro day at the Iron Horse Complex near Windber.

St. Francis coach Chris Villarrial, himself a fifth-round selection of the Chicago Bears out of NCAA Division II Indiana (Pa.) during the 1996 NFL draft, offered encouragement and insight as the draft unfolded over the course of three days on national television.

A native of Sunrise, Florida, Jerome took in the event with family and friends at a restaurant in Pittsburgh.

"Coming from a smaller school, you feel like you have the whole school on your back," said Villarrial, whose Red Flash won the NEC and earned the program's first NCAA Division I Football Championship Series (FCS) playoff trip in 2016. "You want to represent the school, your family and friends. Through each round you get worried. Your heart gets a little heavier. It's tough."

http://www.tribdem.com/sports/st-francis-safety-lorenzo-jerome-signs-with-ers/article_7af5575c-2d5c-11e7-bb00-b7c4ce9f0c42.html

"It's going to happen.' My name got called by the 49ers (after the draft). I knew it was going to happen. They said they were excited to have me on their team."

Jerome said several San Francisco coaches participated in the call, which was followed by a celebration.

"There was screaming and popping the champagne bottles," said Jerome, whose family traveled from Florida to be part of the draft experience.
This dude showed up at the Senior Bowl as well. Was making plays even against better competition. Lance Zierlien of NFL.com said he was easily the most instinctive safety there.

Even with his sub-par athletic numbers, in this defense I project him more as the deep safety than a box safety. We didn't draft anyone to develop behind Jimmie Ward, but maybe this guy can flash. I give him a decent chance of being the 1 or 2 UDFA to make the roster this year.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This dude showed up at the Senior Bowl as well. Was making plays even against better competition. Lance Zierlien of NFL.com said he was easily the most instinctive safety there.

Even with his sub-par athletic numbers, in this defense I project him more as the deep safety than a box safety. We didn't draft anyone to develop behind Jimmie Ward, but maybe this guy can flash. I give him a decent chance of being the 1 or 2 UDFA to make the roster this year.

He is definitely a single high safety. Whether he makes it or not will depend on whether his outstanding instincts and coverage awareness are enough to compensate for his pedestrian athletic ability. He absolutely dominated his level of college football, basically acting like Earl Thomas for his team.

SANTA CLARA
During the 49ers' rookie minicamp practice on Friday, quarterback C.J. Beathard drifted to his right, lofted a pass down the sideline and then watched as an undrafted, small-school safety named Lorenzo Jerome leaped in front of his target and came down with the interception.

Ho hum.

It's something Jerome did six times last season at St. Francis University and 18 times over his four years there. He was invited to two college all-star games in January -- placing him against high-level opponents he didn't always face in the Northeast Conference -- and he grabbed two interceptions in each contest.

Which is why the 49ers made signing him a priority once the draft ended.

As the draft was drawing to a close last week he got calls from the Giants, Eagles and, of course, the Seahawks. But the 49ers' wafer-thin depth at free safety, as well as how they utilize the position, made for an easy decision.

"I've been going over the playbook today and (Thursday), and it's the perfect fit for me," Jerome said. "I like where they have me. I like the system."

Jerome grew up playing quarterback in Coral Springs, Fla. and wanted to continue playing the position in college. The only school that would give a 5-10 prospect a chance at the position, however, was St. Francis, an 1,700-student school in the farming town of Loretto, Pa.

He was converted to safety but found he still was able to utilize his quarterback background.

"It helped me a lot," he said. "I know what to expect out of the quarterback. I know his posture, when he's going to turn his hips, his shoulders. That helps me a lot."

Jerome's impact was immediate.

He played in all 11 games as a freshman, finished with six interceptions and was named the Northeast Conference's defensive rookie of the year. In March he became the first St. Francis player ever invited to the NFL scouting combine and last week nearly became the first to be drafted from the school since 1945.

He wasn't. But he still landed with the team that needs him the most.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article148952434.html
Dude is definitely making the team IMHO.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
They actually had a tryout during rookie mini-camp and cut vets to make room for talent. What a novel idea!!! We haven't done that in forever.

Truly!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
They actually had a tryout during rookie mini-camp and cut vets to make room for talent. What a novel idea!!! We haven't done that in forever.

more importantly we have people in place who seem to be able to coach up and develop that talent.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm glad we signed this kid, looks like he's a keeper.
Share 49ersWebzone