LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Speed.. Speed.. Speed!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As big Fred Dean used to say; the game is played 110% above the shoulders and the rest is in the head.
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Not too many check those boxes!

This is true. I think some move up the list and more important than others. We've heard both Lynch and Kyle talk up Beathard's toughness a ton.
Toughness and mental fortitude.
Originally posted by NCommand:

It's actually a good thing the NFL is trending towards these spread QB's, OL and RB's, b/c it means the players Kyle wants, can be found in the 3+ rounds on. A QB like Nathan Peterman, C.J. Beathard and Kirk Cousins is #1 on Kyle's board but he's able to get them in the 3rd rounds or better (hence why our first 3 picks were defense).

Great point NC.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
It's actually a good thing the NFL is trending towards these spread QB's, OL and RB's, b/c it means the players Kyle wants, can be found in the 3+ rounds on. A QB like Nathan Peterman, C.J. Beathard and Kirk Cousins is #1 on Kyle's board but he's able to get them in the 3rd rounds or better (hence why our first 3 picks were defense).

Great point NC.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Not sure if yall noticed but we accumulated speed across the board. I don't recall having this much speed on the team since.... Hell I can't remeber. Deng can't wait!

1994 team had THE most speed 49er team ever..

And that '94 QB was a proper dual threat QB. He had Kaepernicks running ability and a lot of Joe's passing ability.

Kaepernick was supposed to become an even better version of Steve Young. But unfortunately, Jim is no Bill, we didn't run a true WCO and Kaepernick didn't feel he needed to work on mechanics, timing/footwork, film work and becoming a true WCO pocket passer (with exceptional athleticism to boot) to take his talents to another level.

He wasn't even close to being ready to take over IMHO.

The beautiful thing about Steve Young was that he was always an "athlete" and no doubt, his career would have gone the Kaepernick-route had he stayed in Tampa. But he came to SF, learned a pro offense inside and out over several years of development, learned from the best (Joe + Bill) and completely bought in 100% to everything that was needed/required of the WCO/system.

It still took a monster effort to trust the system, trust his receivers, throw with anticipation, not resort to scrambling instantly, etc. That's why I have so much respect for Steve.

In short, he had to unlearn his athletic instincts and replace them with faith in the system. THAT is not easy to do and this is why you see so many athletically gifted (esp. spread) QB's flame out as quickly as they come into the league.

That athleticism is both a blessing and a curse at the NFL level IMHO.

Good Post NC, and I'll just add that my ideal situation regarding our QB's is that CJ would be a starter level QB in his second or third year, and right behind him is a Steve Young prodigy. A QB that has a rocket arm and runs like a gazelle *and* a QB that Kyle things is going to be outstanding - *but* he needs a bit of time to absorb the system and get more experience under the center. I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd round QB talent in next years draft if Cousins isn't available. (or even trade up to first round if Kyle sees a QB that's a blue chipper in his opinion) QB's that can pass and run are rare but they can make your offense very explosive and are very tough for even the best defenses to contain. The drawback to these dual threat QB's is the fact that they usually take a lot longer to train because they rely too much on their running abilities instead of their passing abilities.
I would rather have a Joe Montana prodigy.

A brave athlete with a huge heart who made clutch plays in play offs but understood his own limitations.

We can use the extra draft picks we acquired to trade up where necessary to get our next inter-generational QB for the next 15 years.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Not sure if yall noticed but we accumulated speed across the board. I don't recall having this much speed on the team since.... Hell I can't remeber. Deng can't wait!

1994 team had THE most speed 49er team ever..

And that '94 QB was a proper dual threat QB. He had Kaepernicks running ability and a lot of Joe's passing ability.

Kaepernick was supposed to become an even better version of Steve Young. But unfortunately, Jim is no Bill, we didn't run a true WCO and Kaepernick didn't feel he needed to work on mechanics, timing/footwork, film work and becoming a true WCO pocket passer (with exceptional athleticism to boot) to take his talents to another level.

He wasn't even close to being ready to take over IMHO.

The beautiful thing about Steve Young was that he was always an "athlete" and no doubt, his career would have gone the Kaepernick-route had he stayed in Tampa. But he came to SF, learned a pro offense inside and out over several years of development, learned from the best (Joe + Bill) and completely bought in 100% to everything that was needed/required of the WCO/system.

It still took a monster effort to trust the system, trust his receivers, throw with anticipation, not resort to scrambling instantly, etc. That's why I have so much respect for Steve.

In short, he had to unlearn his athletic instincts and replace them with faith in the system. THAT is not easy to do and this is why you see so many athletically gifted (esp. spread) QB's flame out as quickly as they come into the league.

That athleticism is both a blessing and a curse at the NFL level IMHO.

Good Post NC, and I'll just add that my ideal situation regarding our QB's is that CJ would be a starter level QB in his second or third year, and right behind him is a Steve Young prodigy. A QB that has a rocket arm and runs like a gazelle *and* a QB that Kyle things is going to be outstanding - *but* he needs a bit of time to absorb the system and get more experience under the center. I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd round QB talent in next years draft if Cousins isn't available. (or even trade up to first round if Kyle sees a QB that's a blue chipper in his opinion) QB's that can pass and run are rare but they can make your offense very explosive and are very tough for even the best defenses to contain. The drawback to these dual threat QB's is the fact that they usually take a lot longer to train because they rely too much on their running abilities instead of their passing abilities.

Very true. This is why I had no fear if Kyle went after Trubiski...because while a spread QB with lots of talent, he was just a baby and Kyle could have molded him from day 1 and there wouldn't be much to unlearn.
Yall gon make me lose my mind... Up in here, up in here lol. Theres already 20 other threads discussing hypothetical future QB scenarios lol
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jun 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Yall gon make me lose my mind... Up in here, up in here lol. Theres already 20 other threads discussing hypothetical future QB scenarios lol

Thank you. Lol I saw new pages for this thread then clicked, expecting it would be about Speed Speed Speed!!!

All roads lead to an ALL PRO QB, I am afraid

It is a saviour for all other ills.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
As big Fred Dean used to say; the game is played 110% above the shoulders and the rest is in the head.

I'll add to that the genius of Yogi Berra — '90% of the game is half mental.'
....and the rest is played in your head.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
All roads lead to an ALL PRO QB, I am afraid

It is a saviour for all other ills.

I think QB is the only position on the entire team that affects *both* defense and offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Thank you. Lol I saw new pages for this thread then clicked, expecting it would be about Speed Speed Speed!!!

Steve Young was pretty fast...
Share 49ersWebzone