LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 221 users in the forums

Speed.. Speed.. Speed!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Not sure if yall noticed but we accumulated speed across the board. I don't recall having this much speed on the team since.... Hell I can't remeber. Deng can't wait!

1994 team had THE most speed 49er team ever..
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Speed on Offense and Violence on Defense!

Yeah!!

Can't wait for TC and pre-season to sort it all out.

I
who lul
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Not sure if yall noticed but we accumulated speed across the board. I don't recall having this much speed on the team since.... Hell I can't remeber. Deng can't wait!

And that '94 QB was a proper dual threat QB. He had Kaepernicks running ability and a lot of Joe's passing ability.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9moon:

And that '94 QB was a proper dual threat QB. He had Kaepernicks running ability and a lot of Joe's passing ability.

Kaepernick was supposed to become an even better version of Steve Young. But unfortunately, Jim is no Bill, we didn't run a true WCO and Kaepernick didn't feel he needed to work on mechanics, timing/footwork, film work and becoming a true WCO pocket passer (with exceptional athleticism to boot) to take his talents to another level.

He wasn't even close to being ready to take over IMHO.

The beautiful thing about Steve Young was that he was always an "athlete" and no doubt, his career would have gone the Kaepernick-route had he stayed in Tampa. But he came to SF, learned a pro offense inside and out over several years of development, learned from the best (Joe + Bill) and completely bought in 100% to everything that was needed/required of the WCO/system.

It still took a monster effort to trust the system, trust his receivers, throw with anticipation, not resort to scrambling instantly, etc. That's why I have so much respect for Steve.

In short, he had to unlearn his athletic instincts and replace them with faith in the system. THAT is not easy to do and this is why you see so many athletically gifted (esp. spread) QB's flame out as quickly as they come into the league.

That athleticism is both a blessing and a curse at the NFL level IMHO.
Originally posted by NCommand:
In short, he had to unlearn his athletic instincts and replace them with faith in the system. THAT is not easy to do and this is why you see so many athletically gifted (esp. spread) QB's flame out as quickly as they come into the league.

Is this one of the main reasons Beathard was Kyle's prefered QB from this draft?
Originally posted by Who-is-Hayne:

Is this one of the main reasons Beathard was Kyle's prefered QB from this draft?

Absolutely no question about it.

For Kyle, he's got a long list of things he wants in a QB (check boxes). For a good majority of those, it's much easier to SEE if a QB checks off those boxes if he's actually doing them within a pro-style offense for 3-4 years. With the trendy spread offenses, these QB's don't get that opportunity and therefore, if you're Kyle and running a WCO at the NFL level, you're left 'projecting' whether or not they can do it.

This is why most fans were projecting a QB like Nathan Peterman going to us. I had us taking C.J. Beathard as well, which is, the same exact concept.

It's actually a good thing the NFL is trending towards these spread QB's, OL and RB's, b/c it means the players Kyle wants, can be found in the 3+ rounds on. A QB like Nathan Peterman, C.J. Beathard and Kirk Cousins is #1 on Kyle's board but he's able to get them in the 3rd rounds or better (hence why our first 3 picks were defense).
Here's some insight into those check boxes. If you've listened to Kyle and Lynch talk post-draft about the characteristics of Beathard, I think they noted each one of these via different interviews.

Kyle Shanahan's Own Check-Box Exercise:

• Quick Processer (can go fast in the pocket; can think fast and react; how quick their decision making is under duress)
  • Pure Thrower (natural throwing motion; born to throw; effortless; to where he doesn't have to think about it ever)
  • Natural Feel for the Game (automatic; feel and react)
  • Smart (can handle the whole offense; handle it all under pressure; smart but doesn't over-process things)
  • Fearless (against the rush; in the pocket; no hesitation; lets it rip)
  • Tough (hangs in the pocket and takes hits)
  • Demeanor (how he carries himself; leadership; likable)
  • Eyes (Keeps his eyes downfield; doesn't start watching the rush instead)
  • Quick Release (Can get rid of the ball quickly/fast)
  • Passion and Determination
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 8, 2017 at 2:17 PM ]
Finding your QB is liking finding your future wife. It's a lot of work, and still nothing is guaranteed even when things are going well lol.

You just wanna give yourself the best chances by checking it out the most boxes possible then seeing what kind of chemistry you have
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Finding your QB is liking finding your future wife. It's a lot of work, and still nothing is guaranteed even when things are going well lol.

You just wanna give yourself the best chances by checking it out the most boxes possible then seeing what kind of chemistry you have

ShanaLynch. To make the marriage even better, we need to add a third name to that.

Finding a Quarterback is a lot harder than finding a wife.

There are lots of good looking, beautiful, kind, sensitive, loving willing woman out there who are prepared to do anything to be with a kind decent handsome suave sophisticated good-looking man

There are very few quarterbacks who can throw the ball consistently.
Hi hi
Here's some insight into those check boxes. If you've listened to Kyle and Lynch talk post-draft about the characteristics of Beathard, I think they noted each one of these via different interviews.

• Quick Processer (can go fast in the pocket; can think fast and react; how quick their decision making is under duress)
  • Pure Thrower (natural throwing motion; born to throw; effortless; to where he doesn't have to think about it ever)
  • Smart (can handle the whole offense; handle it all under pressure; smart but doesn't over-process things)

Not too many check those boxes!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Interesting how 7 out of those 10 are mental attributes vs physical.
It is a mental game.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Interesting how 7 out of those 10 are mental attributes vs physical.

My man Giedi nailed it.
Share 49ersWebzone