LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

49ers release S Adrian Colbert-Round 7, Pick 229

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Culliver was pretty darn good his first few years. That whole 2011 class was weird. Aldon, Kap, Cully, Hunter, Miller....all those dudes were awesome at first now they're all pretty much out of the league

I think Colbert is real intriguing. Expectation are low, he's a 7th rounder after all. But he's got some intriguing talent.

All of those guys were just plain bad luck Aldon is a drunk idiot. Kap doesn't comprehend that having a good work ethic also means studying and working on our craft rather than just lifting weights, and the whole political stuff too. Cully just fell apart sadly. Hunter had injuries that he never recovered from. Which is a shame because him in kyles offense wouldve been awesome. Miller wouldve been good in this offense too if he didnt decide to deck a couple of dudes drunk.
Talented kid. Will spend this year on the PS and with good coaching I think he can make an impact 2-3 years down the road and has potential to be a really good player. Reminds me of a Chris Culliver and the DB we had from Rutgers but cut and he ended up doing good in KC....forgot his name?
We will retool and reschool him.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Talented kid. Will spend this year on the PS and with good coaching I think he can make an impact 2-3 years down the road and has potential to be a really good player. Reminds me of a Chris Culliver and the DB we had from Rutgers but cut and he ended up doing good in KC....forgot his name?

Cooper.
Yes, he was very good. wish we kept him.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Cooper.

Who then fell off so must've got exposed eventually.
Well he knows how to tackle

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Was crossing my fingers for Ejuan Price or Joe Mathis, but I'm unusually optimistic about this pick.

Good size at 6'2" 205lbs, 4.4 speed, safety and corner back experience, and not afraid to lay the wood but is also a sure tackler. Only watched highlights, but instincts appear pretty good..

Colbert played in just seven games for Miami in 2016, lining up almost exclusively at outside corner. He picked off one pass, broke up three others, and allowed just one score. Colbert also allowed an average of just 2.7 yards after the catch, tied for the 10th-lowest average in the cornerback class. — Matt Claassen, @PFF_Matt
Very nice pick. I'm glad we have a GM that knows something of the position drafting, versus the stuff that went on before. If he gains another 25 lbs and doesn't lose much speed, I'm thinking he can play in Kam Chancellor's spot.
Just finished fast-forwarding through this past season's Miami vs. Notre Dame game to see Colbert on D...he had a great game in coverage and tackling! I recorded this game in case the Niners drafted either of the QBs, Kizer or Kaaya (so glad they didn't draft Kaaya).

Colbert stood out as the best Miami DB on the field that day - I thought he had a better game than his more highly-regarded teammate, Corn Elder. Colbert was in good position in coverage for most of the game against a good QB and he had a few passes defensed. Regarding his tackling, he had at least two hard hits and seemed to be a very sure tackler. I heard he ran a 4.3 or just under at Miami's pro day...so he's fast as well. You consider his versatility in also playing S and, assuming he can contribute on ST, he has a decent chance to make the 53 for a 7th Rounder.
I'm of the thinking that I'd like to see Reid traded away for what ever the best draft pick is that we can get for him. Trading Reid away would clear 5.676 million off the cap, and allow us to roll even more money over for next year. The main reason though, is that Reid is 1 concussion away from early retirement, and I doubt we're going to give a guy like that a big extension, so we might as well trade him now, get what we can from him, and see if Tartt is the SS we hope he can be.

Colbert can back up Tartt, and hopefully contribute immediately on ST's as well.

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Just finished fast-forwarding through this past season's Miami vs. Notre Dame game to see Colbert on D...he had a great game in coverage and tackling! I recorded this game in case the Niners drafted either of the QBs, Kizer or Kaaya (so glad they didn't draft Kaaya).

Colbert stood out as the best Miami DB on the field that day - I thought he had a better game than his more highly-regarded teammate, Corn Elder. Colbert was in good position in coverage for most of the game against a good QB and he had a few passes defensed. Regarding his tackling, he had at least two hard hits and seemed to be a very sure tackler. I heard he ran a 4.3 or just under at Miami's pro day...so he's fast as well. You consider his versatility in also playing S and, assuming he can contribute on ST, he has a decent chance to make the 53 for a 7th Rounder.

Thanks for the input. He has experience at safety as well. I hope he shines well enough we're he can be cross trained at FS and work at CB so we can possibly carry an extra man at another position like WR,RB,TE,DL where there might be some tough cuts.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I have also studied the tapes of this game. I have gone over it about 8 times in the past few days. I cant believe how good Colbert was.

This guy has the potential to be anything.

for a 7th rounder he has talent to burn.
Special teams
We need FS depth behind Ward so hopefully Jerome and Colbert can help out there
Adrian Colbert
✔@AdrianColbert25

Delayed but NEVER denied #GodsPlans

He getting cut?
Share 49ersWebzone