LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Joe Williams - RB, Utah

Originally posted by Giedi:
Posted by GoldenGateGlory:

The job Williams wants to take currently belongs to Carlos Hyde. Fittingly, Hyde has been told, like Williams, to be more patient in his running. Williams explained that unlike in college where the holes are two gaps wide, the holes in the NFL change and shift as soon as play starts. He needs to understand the ebbs and flows of the game and know that "not every carry is going to be a home run." Part of what Williams wants to become is modeled after his favorite players. He described the qualities that they brought to the game:

It's going to be interesting how Williams handles NFL speed. Some backs can step it up and slow the game down and be almost as productive as their college years (Erick Dickerson, Barry Sanders) others just tank and freeze and pretty much never are productive. Personally, I'll be watching how he catches passes and/or pass protects on a deep route and not so much how he runs, or where he runs etc...

This is where I'll miss Rathman. Don't get me wrong, I love Bobby Turner, his resume speaks for itself and we're lucky to have someone with his success coaching the position. Rathman's greatest strength was teaching pass protection though and he did it well.

The job Williams wants to take currently belongs to Carlos Hyde. Fittingly, Hyde has been told, like Williams, to be more patient in his running. Williams explained that unlike in college where the holes are two gaps wide, the holes in the NFL change and shift as soon as play starts. He needs to understand the ebbs and flows of the game and know that "not every carry is going to be a home run." Part of what Williams wants to become is modeled after his favorite players. He described the qualities that they brought to the game:

It's going to be interesting how Williams handles NFL speed. Some backs can step it up and slow the game down and be almost as productive as their college years (Erick Dickerson, Barry Sanders) others just tank and freeze and pretty much never are productive. Personally, I'll be watching how he catches passes and/or pass protects on a deep route and not so much how he runs, or where he runs etc...

Pass protection will really define how many snaps he gets as a rookie. You can't be out there struggling to protect the quarterback.
It is a combination of all of the above.

Williams has to be able to do it all and prove it to the coaches before he gets his chance.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Pass protection will really define how many snaps he gets as a rookie. You can't be out there struggling to protect the quarterback.

Yup, see the Superbowl...for Kyle, that's fresh in his mind, no doubt.
and painful.
"The GM also mentioned rookie Joe Williams showed up to the facility out of shape in April, but left on a really strong note."

This statement surprises me. I know you'll have people say it's no big deal, but I'm surprised if this kids wants it bad enough, why wouldn't he come into camp in top shape?
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
"The GM also mentioned rookie Joe Williams showed up to the facility out of shape in April, but left on a really strong note."

This statement surprises me. I know you'll have people say it's no big deal, but I'm surprised if this kids wants it bad enough, why wouldn't he come into camp in top shape?

Cohn is about to be all over this in 3...2...1
Originally posted by NCommand:

If Cohn says anything about this, Cohn needs to be called out for not noticing it..

I am hoping Williams brings the speed we need to keep defenses on there heels.
Sounds like a couple of our new guys can bring the heat though.
Originally posted by NCommand:

If Cohn says anything about this, Cohn needs to be called out for not noticing it..

I am hoping Williams brings the speed we need to keep defenses on there heels.
Sounds like a couple of our new guys can bring the heat though.

Most definitely...really like Matt Breida as well.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

doesn't surprise me at all.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I see a lot of carries for negative yards in his future.

Kinda like your posting history?

That's funny!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
don't quit your day jobs.

Not that uncommon with rookies when they're flying around doing interviews and having dinners with teams.

He may not be Jerry Rice work ethic wise but nothing to worry about yet.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

doesn't surprise me at all.
Better a rookie learning these lessons then a vet who repeats them
rooting for this guy
Share 49ersWebzone