There are 242 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
"He processes the game so well, tough as s---. Got a chance. He reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins" - head coach Kyle Shanahan

HEIGHT: 6'2"

WEIGHT: 219LBS.

ARM LENGTH: 30 5/8"

HANDS: 9 3/8"

DRAFT ANALYSIS:
"C.J. Beathard had mostly fifth-, sixth-round grades from the teams I spoke with. Obviously has great NFL lineage, the Beathard name famous for talent evaluation, and I thought his tape was down a little bit this year. I thought he was better as a junior. Very smart, understands where to go with the football, better arm than expected when you really sit down and study him. I haven't seen him live, and the people who went to his Pro Day told me he had an excellent day." -- Mike Mayock

OVERVIEW
A lot of people know that the Hawkeyes' signal caller is the grandson of former NFL general manager Bobby Beathard -- but now C.J. is a father in own right after he and his girlfriend welcomed a girl (Lyla) into their world in December. He was the most prolific quarterback in Tennessee his final two years of high school (runner-up for one of the state's Mr. Football awards). As a redshirt freshman, Beathard played a little (9-27, TD, two INT) and the following year he saw the field more often (nine games, one start, 645 yards, five TD, two INT). He was given the reins of the offense as a junior, earning team MVP and second-team All-Big Ten honors by completing 61.6 percent of his passes for 2,809 pass yards, 17 touchdowns and just five interceptions. Beathard wasn't as effective as a senior (56.5 completion pct, 1,929 yards, 147TD, 10 INT) but is still considered a solid developmental prospect.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Played in pro-style passing attack, working under center and from shotgun. Capable and confident rolling out. Squares shoulders to deliver strikes. Completed 57 percent of his passes outside of the pocket at Iowa. Showed improved touch on short throws. Footwork and pocket mechanics look solid. Throws with some natural accuracy despite pedestrian completion percentage. Better tape in 2015 as he had to overcome injuries to key targets in 2016. Has the arm strength to throw the deep out without laboring. Trusts his line and keeps eyes downfield. Plays with relatively calm demeanor. Good feel and timing for screen game. Knee brace slowed him some during senior season, but he has ability to escape the heat. Team leader with ability to handle adversity. Won't take unnecessary chances.

WEAKNESSES
Hesitation is a noticeable issue. Often late to pull trigger on throws toward the sideline, forcing receivers into boundary and out of the catch. Slow field scanner who tends to lock into a single side. Too much eye-balling and not enough manipulating. Poor feel for pocket pressure. Two-year sack total of 58 is too high in play-action attack. Anchors deep in pocket and rarely climbs pocket to safe harbor. Oblivious to backside pressure until it's too late. Needs more air under the long ball. Deep-ball accuracy has been terrible. Completed under 30 percent of throws beyond 20 yards in last two seasons at Iowa. Completed just 43 percent of throws beyond line of scrimmage to right sideline.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7

NFL COMPARISON Tom Savage

BOTTOM LINE
Pro-style quarterback who dealt with nagging injuries to key pass catchers and himself in 2016. His 2015 tape was more impressive, but deep-ball accuracy issues, poor pocket awareness, and unnecessary hesitation as a passer shows up in both seasons. Beathard plays checkers with safeties rather than chess, which could always hinder his ability to attack down the field with success. Could be a career backup who finds himself in the action at some point down the road.
-Lance Zierlein

[ Edited by slowriot on May 3, 2017 at 8:09 AM ]
We drafted Marsh!!!
Dobbs? Really why are they getting cute in 3rd round
Lol first meh pick this draft. Still going to trust Shanahan with this.
We had to trade up to get him? Damnit!!! Wanted Peterman with this pick!!
Dang I thought shanny liked dude with arms?
Kirk Cousins backup for years to come
My first wtf move up by the new regime
Why trade up for him???
nice... we got a undrafted free agent type in the 3rd round

Wow super genius move or the worst mistake they will have in their career. Never an in-between with QBs in the first 3 rounds.
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheetFollowing

Players who should go much higher than expected: #Ashland TE Adam Sheehan, #Iowa QB CJ Beathard, #UConn S Obi Melifonwu, #UF LB Jarrad Davis

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes agoMore

Wow I'm a genius. #49ers trade up and grab Beathard. Good night everyone
The only thing I can say is that I guess we just have to trust Shanny on this.
We could have got him as a UDFA lol
Eric Galko‏Verified account @OptimumScouting 3m3 minutes agoMore

CJ Beathard set to be Kirk Cousins long-term backup for the #49ers. Shocking that he went above Nathan Peterman.
Share 49ersWebzone