LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Wow, I'd forgotten he had this much production during his first year in the NFL.

He's showed flashes of potential, production and playmaking ability. Like week four against the Arizona Cardinals when he recorded five solo tackles total, one tackle for a loss and one sack. And week six against the Washington Redskins, he registered nine tackles, seven coming solo, one tackle for a loss and a sack (via ESPN.com).
Thomas recorded 41 total tackles and three sacks while appearing in 14 games starting 12 of those contest. He was slowed after returning from injury (lacking mobility and explosiveness) but still managed to provide the violent pressure on the quarterback at times that you expect from a third overall draft pick.
Thomas in his first year gained some experience (696 total snaps played) which was amongst the highest of all rookie defensive linemen.

http://ninerslive.net/49ers-dont-underestimate-dt-solomon-thomas-in-2018/

I thought he was fine his rookie season and I expect him to get much better. Everyone s**ts on him, but I wasn't disappointed in his play at all last year.

Certain posters keep flooding this site with nonsense and people start believing it

Yeah all they say is he was the 3rd pick so he should've had 14 sacks and DROY or he's a bust.

He'll be just fine. Might never be a double digit sack guy but neither was Justin Smith.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Jun 17, 2018 at 11:19 AM ]
I thought he was fine his rookie season and I expect him to get much better. Everyone s**ts on him, but I wasn't disappointed in his play at all last year.

Same here, I think he has a promising future
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Same here, I think he has a promising future

+1.
A
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 18, 2018 at 4:54 AM ]
Wow, I'd forgotten he had this much production during his first year in the NFL.

He's showed flashes of potential, production and playmaking ability. Like week four against the Arizona Cardinals when he recorded five solo tackles total, one tackle for a loss and one sack. And week six against the Washington Redskins, he registered nine tackles, seven coming solo, one tackle for a loss and a sack (via ESPN.com).
Thomas recorded 41 total tackles and three sacks while appearing in 14 games starting 12 of those contest. He was slowed after returning from injury (lacking mobility and explosiveness) but still managed to provide the violent pressure on the quarterback at times that you expect from a third overall draft pick.
Thomas in his first year gained some experience (696 total snaps played) which was amongst the highest of all rookie defensive linemen.

I still have some trepidation on what kind of player he will end up being. He looked ok his rookie year, he disappeared to often. Its not to concerning considering he was asked to play all over the place, and was forced to play on the edge more often then he probably should have. I think they need to carve out a specific role for him and just let him stick there.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

I still have some trepidation on what kind of player he will end up being. He looked ok his rookie year, he disappeared to often. Its not to concerning considering he was asked to play all over the place, and was forced to play on the edge more often then he probably should have. I think they need to carve out a specific role for him and just let him stick there.

I think that role is clearly, LEO on base downs, inside on obvious passing downs/nickel.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

I think that role is clearly, LEO on base downs, inside on obvious passing downs/nickel.

All I gotta is everyone needs to watch every game this upcoming season.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Yeah all they say is he was the 3rd pick so he should've had 14 sacks and DROY or he's a bust.

He'll be just fine. Might never be a double digit sack guy but neither was Justin Smith.

Nah, you guys are just massively shifting the goal posts. The largest problem with Soloman Thomas at #3 wasn't that he was a bad player, it was that he was a bad pick.

We had just selected Armstead and Buckner in the previous two years and either he or Armstead were going to have to play way out of position.
Thomas could be a really great player if we could just leave him at 3-tech and let him develop into an Aaron Donald-type player but with Buckner on the team that's unlikely to happen.

The idea that he was going to be able to bring pass rush from anywhere on the line was a total fantasy that a lot of people on this forum (and unfortunately our coaching staff) believed that was clearly not supported by his film.

I'm starting to think this coaching staff has the same problem with outside rushers that Baalke had with receivers.
[ Edited by All22 on Jun 19, 2018 at 4:46 PM ]
Originally posted by All22:

Nah, you guys are just massively shifting the goal posts. The largest problem with Soloman Thomas at #3 wasn't that he was a bad player, it was that he was a bad pick.

We had just selected Armstead and Buckner in the previous two years and either he or Armstead were going to have to play way out of position.
Thomas could be a really great player if we could just leave him at 3-tech and let him develop into an Aaron Donald-type player but with Buckner on the team that's unlikely to happen.

The idea that he was going to be able to bring pass rush from anywhere on the line was a total fantasy that a lot of people on this forum (and unfortunately our coaching staff) believed that was clearly not supported by his film.

I'm starting to think this coaching staff has the same problem with outside rushers that Baalke had with receivers.

Totally agree with this. A redundant pick. Not a bad player, just a bad process.

I'm not sure if it's the analytics or Silicon Valley or what, but a lot of times the easy, simple answer is skipped. Lynch and baalke fell for it. Always trying to be the smartest guys in the room.

So who do you take at #3?

• All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

Hindsight is 20/20.
At the time I was fine with anyone except Trubisky and Thomas.
Mahomes was and still is my favorite QB from the draft and having a guy like that on a rookie salary for the next 5 years would basically guarantee title contention.
I was really high on Watson too because he's a gamer and has the same salary cap advantages.
I liked both Lattimore and Hooker (in that order though because Baker and Williams in the second or third were great alternatives too).
And I really liked the idea of a trade back to grab CM22. Would've saved us a lot of Jerrick Mckinnon money.

Who do you take?
[ Edited by All22 on Jun 19, 2018 at 5:55 PM ]

[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 19, 2018 at 6:56 PM ]

Only this FO didn't draft AA and he didn't show much of anything since coming into the NFL..new FO bring in players that they want we see it every single yr. Thomas fits their mode on the DL. I don't see how you can't play Thomas at LEO on base downs then push him inside on passing downs. Kid is a 3 down player and will only improve.

Calling a player a bad pick based off first yr production is silly...your boy mahomes was a horrible pick if that's how we're looking at it
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:

Hindsight is 20/20.
At the time I was fine with anyone except Trubisky and Thomas.
Mahomes was and still is my favorite QB from the draft and having a guy like that on a rookie salary for the next 5 years would basically guarantee title contention.
I was really high on Watson too because he's a gamer and has the same salary cap advantages.
I liked both Lattimore and Hooker (in that order though because Baker and Williams in the second or third were great alternatives too).
And I really liked the idea of a trade back to grab CM22. Would've saved us a lot of Jerrick Mckinnon money.

Who do you take?

I understand your logic but don't agree with it. It's not a debate of armstead or Thomas. Armstead isn't their guy and can never complete a season. Not a guy we can count on at all. He still has too much to prove to pass on a guy like Solly.

Our goal on defense was to stop the run and improve the historically bad run d. Solly helped do that. Now we need to improve his pass rush to justify the pick completely.

Hooker had the injury history and got hurt. Lattimore could very well be a ticking time bomb. Maybe he'll play fine the rest of his career. But nobody will be surprised if he gets hurt again.

Cmac wouldn't have saved much. Mike Williams was picked right in front of him and got 5 mil a year full guaranteed for 4 years. McKinnon got 7.5 a year with only the first two years guaranteed. So the options are cmac and saving 2.5 mil a year. Or McKinnon and Solly. No brainer unless you have cmac rated wayyyyy higher than jet.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
I understand your logic but don't agree with it. It's not a debate of armstead or Thomas. Armstead isn't their guy and can never complete a season. Not a guy we can count on at all. He still has too much to prove to pass on a guy like Solly.

Our goal on defense was to stop the run and improve the historically bad run d. Solly helped do that. Now we need to improve his pass rush to justify the pick completely.

Hooker had the injury history and got hurt. Lattimore could very well be a ticking time bomb. Maybe he'll play fine the rest of his career. But nobody will be surprised if he gets hurt again.

Cmac wouldn't have saved much. Mike Williams was picked right in front of him and got 5 mil a year full guaranteed for 4 years. McKinnon got 7.5 a year with only the first two years guaranteed. So the options are cmac and saving 2.5 mil a year. Or McKinnon and Solly. No brainer unless you have cmac rated wayyyyy higher than jet.

I've read some guys who do draft analysis (name is escaping me) and they said latt wasn't a scheme fit for our cover 3 I didn't watch the saints a ton just saw his highlights....Honestly the only part of the draft I would have switched around was taking CJ over Carl Lawson, or maybe moving up a little higher to get him over williams in the 4th.

Like you said AA isn' this FOs guy and really hasn't shown anything, Thomas is exactly the type of player they want...athletic, smart, hard working, clean off the field. You know he's gonna bust his ass to get better.

I've pointed out that he might go the route of say Brandon graham as far as pass rushing goes. Took his some time to figure it out (and Thomas is only 22).
Share 49ersWebzone