LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Solly is getting thick. He's starting to look like a real 3tech.

noice. him and bucky can be the most terrorizing interior duo.

Make Justin proud. Speaking of Justin I wish they brought him in to hang with the DL and speak to the team.

Oh now. Don't me like that!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Oh now. Don't me like that!

Don't worry were gonna be in nickel 67+% of the time next year Papi.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Don't worry were gonna be in nickel 67+% of the time next year Papi.

Yeah boy! Eli Harold is probably the single best player to target when trying to figure out how often we were in base vs. nickel (because he was sub'd out for ER's like Elvis/Marsh = nickel).

He was in on 44% of the snaps last year, so that means we were in nickel closer to 56% and that sounds about right (i.e. heavy focus on stopping the run in year 1 for Saleh, no dominant ER who was also excellent against the run, etc.)

Hopefully we'll move from 56% closer to 67% but that'll be dictated by Saleh's own personnel choices, down-and-distance, types of offenses we play, game plans, no-huddle, if an every-down ER emerges, etc.).
[ Edited by NCommand on May 25, 2018 at 8:52 AM ]
Hoping to see a little bit of sneak Justin Smith style stuff between ST and Buck, like below back when JS was with us:

[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 25, 2018 at 9:46 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hoping to see a little bit of sneak Justin Smith style stuff between ST and Buck, like below back when JS was with us:

Loved watching Justin do this! The he would slide out into the flat and bat balls down. Yikes...the niners need a true game changer on D!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
What does pass rush drills mean? I would think it's 3 cone stuff and bag work? Nothing to be too impressed about if it's all that. But, it's better than nothing. I can't wait to see the finished product in pre-season games.

Who knows...I agree it's better than nothing. I'd rather see Thomas "dominate" pass rush drills vs get dominated but we all know OTAs...they don't always translate to the real deal.

I know we all remember numerous players who stood out in mini camps and OTAs then got cut or disappeared once week 1 rolled around.

No question though we need a big step forward from Sully as a pass rusher this year - regardless of where the team plays him. Hopefully it happens. I'm super excited about our offense but if the defense can make their lives easier and give them the ball often then things can really be special.

Agree. Justin Smith's highest sack totals were 8 in a given year. If Solly can do that from the 3 tech, and with his athleticism at that spot, the Edge rusher next to him is going to get double that. Staley and Garnett have to really school him on how to hold without getting caught! So he can free Attaochu to sack the QB. On paper, they look like our D Line from 1984 when we had 51 sacks. *On paper* though.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Loved watching Justin do this! The he would slide out into the flat and bat balls down. Yikes...the niners need a true game changer on D!

If Aldon stayed on the straight and narrow and we had Solomon playing right next to Aldon in the 3 tech - man this defense would be dominating. What a terrible waste of god given talent. I hope and pray for Aldon and Reuben, Aldon may be too far gone, but Reuben has a great chance to be in the Hall of Fame based on his rookie performance. If we can get one of the Bosa Brothers next year (ha! that would be a miracle like Jimmy landing in our laps) I'll be first in line ringing in the new 49er Dynasty!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yep. He's due. Last year he went through a bunch of b******t. Things will be a lot more 2nd nature and he should play some good ball especially lining up next to Buck all 3 downs being outside or inside.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yep. He's due. Last year he went through a bunch of b******t. Things will be a lot more 2nd nature and he should play some good ball especially lining up next to Buck all 3 downs being outside or inside.

I'm w/you on that.

I think [hope] he'll be more reactive and think less.

He should watch lots of film of Warren Sapp and one of the best ever [IMO] John Randall.

If his game could approach theirs - we'll be doing just fine.
You already hear guys like Buckner saying Solomon looks (and sounds) like a totally different player and person. I think he's going to be a real good player in year 2 and year 3 will be talked about as a pro bowler.

Him and Buckner will be a special duo here ala BY and Stubby.

I've been waiting. The floodgates are about to open.

Solly - I'm eager to watch Solly's overall comfortability as an edge player in base downs. I want to see him improve his half man attack, arc footwork, bend through contact and chaining together moves.

Whether he's pass rushing from the inside or outside, he's working too deep into the chest of his opponent, he's late with his hands, and isn't chaining together moves. Even when he has a two-way go, he doesn't work half man and when he's stalled, there's no counter or chaining of moves.

Anyways, back to Solly. I think he'll be fine in time. These are the plays that give me hope that it'll eventually click for him.

Bob and swat(one of Aldon's favorite moves) to capture the edge. Trent Williams tried to quick set him, but Solly timed Trent Williams' punch perfectly. Then takes a short track to Kirk Cousins. 77 saved Kirk. This was against on one of the best left tackles in the game. Solly can do it. He needs to do what he did here, attack half man and let his hands fly. On most rushes, he works way too deep into the chest of his opponents. Not sure if he's thinking too much between pass set vs run set, but he needs to just let his talent take over.

[ Edited by Heroism on May 30, 2018 at 3:54 PM ]
Cohn claimed, as of today, that Solomon Thomas is around 255. Cohn is an idiot. He's going off of numbers on the internet which aren't accurate at all, because he later said that Harold is 265, when Harold himself said he was 254 and staying at that weight this off-season, lmao.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 30, 2018 at 4:37 PM ]
Still not sure about him on the edge. He should be inside next to Buck. But oh well what do I know!
Share 49ersWebzone