LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
You better believe the Jaguars saw that stat line and picked him at 4 anyways. Fournette struggled against Alabama because he ran up against an NFL caliber defense without an NFL caliber offensive line or an NFL caliber QB to prevent Bama from stacking the box.

For all intensive purposes, Fournette played the toughest schedule in college football last year and still put up great numbers playing banged up. LSU finished with the 5th toughest strength of schedule, but Fournette primarily got carries against the toughest defenses on their schedule. He's been the best running back in college football the past 2 years.

I do agree that his weakness is playing against tough, penetrating front 7s, because while Fournette has elite top-end speed and power, he doesn't have elite acceleration or agility and he's a lot easier to take down before he hits full speed. The Jaguars don't have a great offensive line so it will be interesting to see how he does. Put Fournette on the Cowboys or Titans and he'd have 1600+ rushing yards if he stays healthy, but force him to make people miss in the backfield and he may only hit 900-1000.

LSU OL is pretty good. But if you think the Jags have a QB to keep defenses honest then you haven't been paying attention.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Where just taking the positives... Thomas will end up becoming his own kinda breed hopefully.

Comparisons/People hes learned from so far:

Von Miller(&DL all in that camp),Haley,Elvis,Ware(extensively), Sapp,Justin Smith,Donald,Michael Bennett.

Feel free to add.

one scout compared him to John randle...

"Reminds me of John Randle," said one scout. "Quick and active, strong and powerful."

I mean we will see lol

He 100% reminds me of our own BY. We need to get him in here and teach Thomas the last second slant stance! It was unstoppable!

BY works for the falcons...

I did not know that.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
You better believe the Jaguars saw that stat line and picked him at 4 anyways. Fournette struggled against Alabama because he ran up against an NFL caliber defense without an NFL caliber offensive line or an NFL caliber QB to prevent Bama from stacking the box.

For all intensive purposes, Fournette played the toughest schedule in college football last year and still put up great numbers playing banged up. LSU finished with the 5th toughest strength of schedule, but Fournette primarily got carries against the toughest defenses on their schedule. He's been the best running back in college football the past 2 years.

I do agree that his weakness is playing against tough, penetrating front 7s, because while Fournette has elite top-end speed and power, he doesn't have elite acceleration or agility and he's a lot easier to take down before he hits full speed. The Jaguars don't have a great offensive line so it will be interesting to see how he does. Put Fournette on the Cowboys or Titans and he'd have 1600+ rushing yards if he stays healthy, but force him to make people miss in the backfield and he may only hit 900-1000.

LSU OL is pretty good. But if you think the Jags have a QB to keep defenses honest then you haven't been paying attention.

I don't think they have a good QB or offensive line, so I probably won't pick Fournette in many fantasy football leagues. It seems like a bad situation for him which is a shame because Fournette is a monster.
  • irief
  • Veteran
No one's mentioned ST's lack of playing time and little impact when he was out there. Didn't seem like the same guy from the first game. Thoughts?
I think he played like 7 snaps.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I think he played like 7 snaps.

He doesn't need to prove anything he is going to dominate...better to keep our guys healthy. Same with defo
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by genus49:
Don't want to turn this into a draft thread but Derwin James, any of the top QBs, Tarvarus McFadden, Kevin Toliver, Christian Kirk or Connor Williams would all be better options than a RB, even one as talented as Barkley.

I don't know that I'd take a running back top five just because of the sheer success rate that Kyle has had with so many running backs in his system and none of them were first round picks. There is an abundance of talent in next year's draft so we don't need to force a pick on a running back, especially if we're picking top five again which is where Barkley is currently slated to go. I will say this though, if Kyle and John saw Barkley as someone they had to have, even with a top five pick. I would be ok with it, because Barkley has the talent to be an immediate all star or better in this running scheme.

I agree, but also imagine what a top tier generational type back would do in said system. If we need a qb it's a no brainer, but if he's the top guy on the board....

If Thomas stays healthy this dude will be the least of our issues in this team. He is solid at the worst.
Originally posted by irief:
No one's mentioned ST's lack of playing time and little impact when he was out there. Didn't seem like the same guy from the first game. Thoughts?

You just answered your own question, lol...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by irief:

You just answered your own question, lol...

Yeah, he's now just getting reps.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Smoke, what is your take on Thomas, rusty or overwhelmed?

Originally posted by mayo49:

Well as Hero pointed out he got like 7 snaps? Didnt focus in on him honestly...

Think we were evaluating other guys and wanna have a healthy squad for the rehearsal?

Sorry i know i didnt thoroughly answer your question but seems like nobody can really be able to assess the showing.

Think we were evaluating other guys and wanna have a healthy squad for the rehearsal?

Sorry i know i didnt thoroughly answer your question but seems like nobody can really be able to assess the showing.

I think you answered it just fine lol...he had 7 snaps and preseaon is for evaluating players to make the best 53 man squad (plus PS) we got a clusterf**k at DL and Thomas is well on his way to be a starter, I'm glad they played other guys.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I think you answered it just fine lol...he had 7 snaps and preseaon is for evaluating players to make the best 53 man squad (plus PS) we got a clusterf**k at DL and Thomas is well on his way to be a starter, I'm glad they played other guys.
Exactly why bibbs and Hightower played over Williams and breida who are both making the team
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, like I said before - he's just now getting into the groove of things. He'll be fine.
Thomas is the kind of player who's ability doesn't shine in small spurts. Dude's motor is something that spans an entire game. He's not a player that you put in for one play to make a difference. Him and Foster are guys who's number you see all over the field throughout a game and you find yourself thinking that there's two of each of them on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone