There are 201 users in the forums

OT Garry Gilliam thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I don't think we should be celebrating it's April man there's no stud FA to be had...it's depth and a player that knows the scheme. Pears was never supposed to play RT and wouldn't have if Davis didn't go full retard.

Gilliam was injuried at the beginning of the yr and struggle because of it (pff stats dont talk about stuff like that) when he got back to full health he played much better end of the season.

Regardless the fact that we only paid him $2.2 million for one yr doesn't mean he's a big piece to anything. He gets healthy and plays well shoot resign him, if not move on. Low risk...it's really not a big deal at all.

Good insight NY. It's not a signing that breeds much enthusiasm as he's been a pretty underwhelming player in his career thus far even pre injury but with all that said, he offers two years worth of starting experience on a playoff team and the fact that he turned down more years for one, shows that he is committed to try and earn more money next year when he is an unrestricted free agent. That will atleast add to the competition on the right side and he offers experience on the left side as well in a pinch. Those are the pluses.
Not sure you weaken someone by stealing their sh.
Maybe he fits our offense better than he fits their offense?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
They clearly like this guy if they originally offered him a 3-year deal. Trent Brown has been put on notice.

i hardly think brown has been put on notice. there is a reason why seattle said. fine take him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

they may be happy to face him just as we were happy to face chilo when he went to the bears
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
You need depth players. He will be a backup for a reason but he has experience. Plus its a one year deal.

i get this but this guy is crap. are you not worried about the quality of depth players. pears comes to mind and the former regime was ripped on that signing but its ok to sign this guy who is just as bad as pears? i am not being mean. i just do not get that every move lynch makes is to be celebrated here

Of course we care about depth players. But right now, their aren't a lot of decent tackles just sitting on the shelf. We may do more after camp cuts. I don't think anyone thinks this a some kind of great move, it just kind of is what it is. Even if they think he is minutely better than the situation we had, and they did it for no other reason , it is an attempt to try everything to improve what was basically a very poorly staffed expansion team. All the moves aren't great, and a lot won't work. I won't grade these guys harshly until 2018 after two drafts and two FA periods. So basically after the draft next year. They inherited a steaming pile of crap.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Exactly. Ppl acting like it is really going to have an impact on their depth. Replacing a 5/10 player isn't that hard. They been taking Ufa guys and starting them like Gilliam and Fant etc. They'll just do that again or hAve joeckel or ifedi kick outside. Don't get me wrong their line won't be good, but it's not getting worse imo
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i would think its about time that someone smarter than me would gather the seattle fans reaction to this. that is common around here and would be interesting to hear or see it. i think it would be like when we dumped pears
It's good I guess. Thought he was terrible though.
Someone in our org is probably connected to his family to hook him up with a free $2.2 million. Probably be cut before the season begins.

i would think its about time that someone smarter than me would gather the seattle fans reaction to this. that is common around here and would be interesting to hear or see it. i think it would be like when we dumped pears

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136681
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

This was the only thing of value I got from that link: a chuckle.

Originally posted by Joecool:

This was the only thing of value I got from that link: a chuckle.

Didn't seem too​ distraught about losing him did they? Thats all the value that you need. Based on his current reputation though, that's not surprising.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM ]
Good insight NY. It's not a signing that breeds much enthusiasm as he's been a pretty underwhelming player in his career thus far even pre injury but with all that said, he offers two years worth of starting experience on a playoff team and the fact that he turned down more years for one, shows that he is committed to try and earn more money next year when he is an unrestricted free agent. That will atleast add to the competition on the right side and he offers experience on the left side as well in a pinch. Those are the pluses.

Yup it's just depth he's not starting like he was for Seattle unless brown comes in a 400+ lbs lol
Originally posted by gold49digger:
You need depth players. He will be a backup for a reason but he has experience. Plus its a one year deal.

i get this but this guy is crap. are you not worried about the quality of depth players. pears comes to mind and the former regime was ripped on that signing but its ok to sign this guy who is just as bad as pears? i am not being mean. i just do not get that every move lynch makes is to be celebrated here

Bring in one of the worst ranked guy in the league from a team that needs offensive line help and
people here call it "depth" and "great move" and "hurts Seattle"

I don't see it that way at all.
Why sign more crap players?

Why not spend a little more and grab someone worth a s**t
Share 49ersWebzone