LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

OT Garry Gilliam thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Didn't realize he sucked this bad. I'm glad he turned down a multi year deal from us
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by suckafree17:
1 year 2.2 mil.....obviously he wasn't that important to seattle. That's a painless deal to match....Keep a starter for 2.2 mil. They were glad to give him away. Waited a whole 15mins to decline
They didn't have the cap space to match for depth. They'll have to rely on a late draft pick unproven rookie for depth.
Decent depth move but let's not go overboard with its affect on Seattle. They have a s**t line and replacing a s**t lineman with another s**t lineman is a lateral move. They didn't get worse.
Lynch is like "We got a lot of space left...lets f*ck with the Seattle a bit" haha

Sh*t acquisition but this will force seahawks to move O-line even higher on their list of priorities. Less likely they will be able to add a OW or any hgih grade young blood to the defense. Gilliam wasnt good at all but he was slated to be there starting RT. Fant was horrible as well, so now seahawks have an opening at RT and LT. C
Originally posted by crabman82:
Decent depth move but let's not go overboard with its affect on Seattle. They have a s**t line and replacing a s**t lineman with another s**t lineman is a lateral move. They didn't get worse.

Sucks or not, they lost their starting RT. Its so late in FA that they cant really replace him. They will have to look to the draft. Even if they were going to replace him through the draft, it really effects their depth.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
You need depth players. He will be a backup for a reason but he has experience. Plus its a one year deal.

i get this but this guy is crap. are you not worried about the quality of depth players. pears comes to mind and the former regime was ripped on that signing but its ok to sign this guy who is just as bad as pears? i am not being mean. i just do not get that every move lynch makes is to be celebrated here
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
You need depth players. He will be a backup for a reason but he has experience. Plus its a one year deal.

i get this but this guy is crap. are you not worried about the quality of depth players. pears comes to mind and the former regime was ripped on that signing but its ok to sign this guy who is just as bad as pears? i am not being mean. i just do not get that every move lynch makes is to be celebrated here

this guy is crap i agree. For all we know he is a camp cut, we could still draft a tackle fairly high that fits the scheme. This signing shouldn't be celebrated or ridiculed unless he surprises or craps the bed when he plays.
Originally posted by suckafree17:
1 year 2.2 mil.....obviously he wasn't that important to seattle. That's a painless deal to match....Keep a starter for 2.2 mil. They were glad to give him away. Waited a whole 15mins to decline

Go look at their salary cap...they can't afford to even resign him lol (they currently have $8.4 million in cap space and still have to sign rookies).

Why do you think they are trying to ship out Sherman? Dude has a cap number of $13.6 million, they can afford all their players once they signed Wilson.

The fact that we only paid $2.2 million means we don't really care too much about him, swing tackle who knows ZBS. We need that
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
So, he'll be a swing tackle for us, correct?
They clearly like this guy if they originally offered him a 3-year deal. Trent Brown has been put on notice.

Originally posted by cciowa:

I don't think we should be celebrating it's April man there's no stud FA to be had...it's depth and a player that knows the scheme. Pears was never supposed to play RT and wouldn't have if Davis didn't go full retard.

Gilliam was injuried at the beginning of the yr and struggle because of it (pff stats dont talk about stuff like that) when he got back to full health he played much better end of the season.

Regardless the fact that we only paid him $2.2 million for one yr doesn't mean he's a big piece to anything. He gets healthy and plays well shoot resign him, if not move on. Low risk...it's really not a big deal at all.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 18, 2017 at 10:18 AM ]
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

So your saying there are worse players out there ?
[ Edited by bors on Apr 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
They clearly like this guy if they originally offered him a 3-year deal. Trent Brown has been put on notice.

All depends on the guaranteed cash...most players don't turn down a 3 yr deal unless there's basically nothing in guarantees

Sounds like a swing tackle that has experience in ZBS
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I'm sure he's not a happy camper.
This move shouldn't be celebrated, but we had to get OL depth. The current state of our OLine depth isn't good, and unfortunately, this isn't the draft to try and fix it.

1. Guard - We're not deep enough at G (we only have one true Backup for LG, C, and RG - Kilgore - that's it). What's scary? Our OG depth is actually better than our Tackle depth, which leads us to:

2. Tackle - Is Shanny is sold on Trent Brown at RT? Hope so, because it's bleak if he isn't. And he is probably scared of the depth. We have Theus and some UDFA Price.

Gilliam isn't a bad signing - we have to have more bodies on the Line. Let's hope he never touches the field though.

What our line looks like now (looks decent to me):

Staley -- Beadles -- Zuttah -- Garnett -- Brown

First OLineman off the Bench is backup G/C Kilgore. He either fills in for the hurt G/C, or subs for Beadles, and Beadles kicks to the hurt OT.

Scary -> Second OLineman off the bench is Who? Theus (Let's hope so). Gilliam? If it's Gilliam, then that means Theus got beat by Gilliam, which is depressing for two reasons: Gilliam isn't good, and Theus couldn't beat him.

So, best case: Gilliam is our third OLineman off the bench, in case a third starting OLineman gets hurt. If we have three starting OL go down, we're screwed, though not many teams can handle three starting OL going down anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone