LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Did we make the right decision selecting Patrick WIllis over Adam Carriker + David Harris?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did we make the right decision selecting Patrick WIllis over Adam Carriker + David Harris?

So, I'm bored and I remember this topic being debated back and forth.

Adam obviously was a flop, but who is to say what would have happened with him in a different environment playing a slightly different position with a better DL coach.
Davis Harris turned out to be one heck of an Inside linebacker. A pro-bowler and he's still playing.

Patrick was a beast. One of the best at his position, but had a fairly short career.

Obviously a lot of what ifs in the discussion, but it could be fun. It is certainly not as lopsided a discussion as people thought it was back in 2010.
It's like asking Calvin or Eric Moulds.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 28, 2017 at 9:59 PM ]
He had a short career but one that only few could even compare to. Definitely made the right choice.
I am kind of puzzled about this thread. I can't seriously consider the idea that we should perhaps have taken Carriker. Once a player's career extends beyond his rookie contract, that is it. You aren't going to achieve anything by taking into account something that happened so ar down the road. On this basis all the players who move on from the team that drafted them should have their draft value downgraded.

And the simple answer is no. Willis was a true great at his position and by all accounts a quality human being as well. That's as far as it goes. We were lucky to have him.
Lol
Originally posted by Jakemall:
So, I'm bored and I remember this topic being debated back and forth.

Adam obviously was a flop, but who is to say what would have happened with him in a different environment playing a slightly different position with a better DL coach.
Davis Harris turned out to be one heck of an Inside linebacker. A pro-bowler and he's still playing.

Patrick was a beast. One of the best at his position, but had a fairly short career.

Obviously a lot of what ifs in the discussion, but it could be fun. It is certainly not as lopsided a discussion as people thought it was back in 2010.

Did we make the right decision drafting Joe Montana over Stanford QB Steve Dils? Who knows, with Walsh, Dils might have won 5 or 6 Super Bowls in the 80's?

• Antix
  • Veteran
Right click thread - move to - recycle bin

Right click recycle bin - permanently delete
Wuuut? Serious?
Willis is one of my #1 favorite 49ers. Love me some Pdub, but back in the day I wanted Carriker. I agree Willis career short all things considered, but you have to take into consideration the effect of having an established badass like Pdub on the team when we brought in Bow in the 3rd if memory serves with some semi questionable character. They ended up best friends and Bow obviously a bad ass in his own right. Some will argue student passed the masta.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Willis is one of my #1 favorite 49ers. Love me some Pdub, but back in the day I wanted Carriker. I agree Willis career short all things considered, but you have to take into consideration the effect of having an established badass like Pdub on the team when we brought in Bow in the 3rd if memory serves with some semi questionable character. They ended up best friends and Bow obviously a bad ass in his own right. Some will argue student passed the masta.

Sounds familiar ,WIN, as i was a big Carriker guy. Wanted him in the worst kind of way. Problem was i hadn't seen much of P-52 and Carriker i had. Well, Patrick was without a doubt one of the best players of his time, and there couldn't have been a better 49er. Just wish we could have gotten him a SB. Should have.

So my picking talent left a lot to be desired, and i knew that the first time i saw us play the rams. Nah we made the best choice by a mile.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 28, 2017 at 3:57 PM ]

We could use a patrick willis in this years' draft. A fast speedy LB would be clutch.
No question we made the right move. Adam Carriker was mostly a bust for where he was drafted. Mediocre player, had injury issues, and played his last game in 2012. David Harris has been a quality player, but nowhere near the linebacker Willis was. Willis was a 7x pro-bowler, 5x all-pro, and a HOF level talent. His career was short, we only had hm for about 7.5 seasons, but this still isn't even close. Willis was the right pick.
Let the highlight reel answer your silly question
Yes & it wasn't even close
  • Tman
  • Veteran
God damn I miss willis
Share 49ersWebzone