There are 133 users in the forums

Dwight Clark has passed away at 61

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Jcool:

There is no evidence of anything that causes ALS and certainly no proof that football has anything to do with it. My best friend died of ALS and he never played FB but was a basketball player. The lack of awareness of what causes the disease and the lack of a cure is truly amazing given how long the medical community has known of the disease.

Yes, that seems like a stretch to try and link these two things.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Sad to hear.

Avg life expectancy after dx is 2-5 years

There have been people who lived over a decade, but those are the rare lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) ones.

This is just rough. If he has a doctor-assisted suicide, it would break everyone's hearts, but if he lives through it, it will become torture. There's really no easy way out.

Prayers. It's the least we can do as fans.

After watching my friend lose his functions and ultimately pass from ALS, I know that I would want to end my life before it got to the worst stages. No one should have to be put through the torture of this awful disease.

Damn this is sad to hear.

Best wishes to Dwight.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
stupid fkn beisbol disease. How he get it anyway? did he play in colledge?

You were joking here right? Anyway, despite ALL of the research no one knows for sure what causes ALS.

Actually, linking ALS and repeated trauma to the head no matter how light has been getting stronger with each study. Scores of former soccer players who played in the days before the modern materials were introduced have been diagnosed with ALS. They're one of the larger groups of "well known" people with ALS.

There is no certainty of any true reason for someone to get ALS when not inherited. About 10% of people that get ALS are through heredity. If repeated trauma to the head was really a key cause of ALS there would be scores of NFL players with ALS and I know of 2. While there are lots of studies being done the sad reality is no one truly knows what causes this horrible disease.

Yes with the variable of hereditary ALS involved it is difficult to fully convey a link between trauma and ALS, particularly with different types of trauma causing different injuries it becomes harder to correlate. That being said, the medical and scientific world is starting to spend more resources on ALS and injuries sustained by traumatic events suffered in sports and by the military. Football players are obviously getting more regularly diagnosed with CTE, as I specifically mentioned soccer...a sport in which no protective gear is worn unless players have already been injured (see Petr Cech Chelsea/Arsenal goalie) and they were constantly making contact with a heavier, less forgiving leathery ball against their heads shows that ALS may be attributed to repeated minor instances of trauma as opposed to the more violent hits that occur in football far more frequently.

Here is an excerpt from the ALS wiki page that states that "moderate/severe" impact can lead to ALS but that ligher impact has been been thoroughly studied. It links out to the studies and an NYT article that goes into the overlaps of CTE and ALS in professional footballeers in both senses.

Head injury[edit]
While moderate to severe traumatic brain injury is a risk for ALS, it is unclear if mild traumatic brain injury increases rates.[45][46]
In 1994 the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reported a nonsignificant increase in nervous system disorders due to four cases of ALS among National Football League (NFL) players. It was unclear if this was due to chance or not.[47] Another study from 2012 also found a possible increase in ALS in NFL football players.[48] An older study did not find an increased risk among high school football players.[45] A 2007 review found an increased risk among soccer players.[46] ALS may also occur more often among the US military veterans however the reason is unknown.[49] This may be due to head injury.[50]
After the 2012 report was released, some NFL players involved in the legal settlement with the NFL complained that the NFL, which initially agreed to pay $765 million, was not doing enough to help players. The judge in the case concurred, and the NFL then agreed to pay an unlimited amount of damages for players found to have ALS, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and dementia.[51]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyotrophic_lateral_sclerosis#cite_note-Chen2007-46

Please read and share your thoughts.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 20, 2017 at 1:11 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

There is no evidence of anything that causes ALS and certainly no proof that football has anything to do with it. My best friend died of ALS and he never played FB but was a basketball player. The lack of awareness of what causes the disease and the lack of a cure is truly amazing given how long the medical community has known of the disease.

Yes, that seems like a stretch to try and link these two things.

See my above post.
Best wishes to you and yours Mr. Clark!!!

May you crush ALS like you did the Dallas Cowboys. Thank you and god bless.
Prayers for Dwight. A true Niner for Life!
Originally posted by Chico:
These players pay a HEAVY price for their fame & fortune.
Thank you for one of the greatest memories in my life!
Prayers to him & his family

yea it sucks and sad to hear but these athletes have to realise what you signed up for , you getting hit by trucks on defense nowadays playing at this high of a stage, i'm sure they loved that money, with that said you can blame anything these days, can't live your life scared to do stuff, unless you want to be a bubble boy.
This just sucks...what can you say. Niner fans all over the world will join in prayer for Dwight. He'll forever be known for the "The Catch" that turned everything around for the Niners. God Speed.
Sad, very sad.

My prayers and respect goes out to him and his family.

This is the worst. I breakdown every time someone is diagnosed. I carry the gene myself, lost my dad to ALS.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
yes.

it's fkn terrible. Even if you manage to outlive your expectancy, a'la Stephen Hawking, quality of life is just so s**tty. I'd rather be dead.

Hey Mr. Tact. Dont post anything Dwight or his family shouldn't read. This isnt a comedy skit.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM ]
Does anyone in Dwight Clarks family have ALS?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

• sfout
  • Veteran

Well it is suspicious that they announce it right after when they had previously recovered it and it was already in Boston for ID.
Share 49ersWebzone