LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Malcolm Smith, LB

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This guy was signed before we knew we were getting Foster.
Originally posted by mayo49:

This, plus if I was Lynch and I watched the film of last year and saw how terrible our LB play was I would be taking any upgrade I could. Plus knowledge of the system is a bonus! Lastly, it seems like Smith is a good tackler which is something we really lacked at the LB level last year
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

This, plus if I was Lynch and I watched the film of last year and saw how terrible our LB play was I would be taking any upgrade I could. Plus knowledge of the system is a bonus! Lastly, it seems like Smith is a good tackler which is something we really lacked at the LB level last year

I think Foster ends up going to IR with designated to return tag, hope he and Bow tear it up,
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I think Foster ends up going to IR with designated to return tag, hope he and Bow tear it up,

Man I hope not. I wanna see this guy starting from game 1 next to Bow. I could care less if that means we have Smith warming the bench. Does anyone think that if he bulked up and gained some weight that Smith could play Sam?

This is true...naturally, he's prepping for WILL in case Foster can't go. As Foster gets further along in rehab, if Smith starts taking snaps at SAN that will be telling on several different levels...all good ones too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is true...naturally, he's prepping for WILL in case Foster can't go. As Foster gets further along in rehab, if Smith starts taking snaps at SAN that will be telling on several different levels...all good ones too.

I didn't know anything about the Malcolm smith guy, and as I read more about him, I liked the thinking process behind getting him better and better. I can't wait to see him play in pre-season to see if Malcolm still has the ability to be a good NFL player, but I like the fact that the GM is listening to the Position coaches and Kyle has some degree of knowledge and has placed a lot of importance on the defense. If the whole coaching staff can stay on the same page the way they have been this offseason, I can see dramatic improvements *next* year as the new players and veterans get better in the installed schemes.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I didn't know anything about the Malcolm smith guy, and as I read more about him, I liked the thinking process behind getting him better and better. I can't wait to see him play in pre-season to see if Malcolm still has the ability to be a good NFL player, but I like the fact that the GM is listening to the Position coaches and Kyle has some degree of knowledge and has placed a lot of importance on the defense. If the whole coaching staff can stay on the same page the way they have been this offseason, I can see dramatic improvements *next* year as the new players and veterans get better in the installed schemes.

I'm certainly with you on this one too. Yeah, that Hoyer interview is a great insight into how long it takes for the offense to get this system down and get to a point where you don't have to think while playing so much.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I'm certainly with you on this one too. Yeah, that Hoyer interview is a great insight into how long it takes for the offense to get this system down and get to a point where you don't have to think while playing so much.

If Malcolm Smith has the ability to still be a good NFL player?... he shined in the scheme before, nobody is saying he's gonna be Luke Kuechly but I think he'll be solid. Even IF Foster was healthy it wouldn't be a guarantee he'd start. Smith knows this D inside and out, Ray-Ray is the best out of all 3 in coverage as well.
I don't get it... this BS started from a dumb article that didn't even know the full contract details. Anyways, smith will be fine.

Yeah, people saw 5yr $26.5M and freaked out, when the last 2 years are option years, and they can get out in 2018 with a Post June 1 cut.

I think Smith will be fine, he knows the system, it's not like we are only going to use 3 LBs a game, we need to have good LBs, if it means Smith, Bow, Foster, Brooks are our main 4, then so be it.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't get it... this BS started from a dumb article that didn't even know the full contract details. Anyways, smith will be fine.

Yeah, people saw 5yr $26.5M and freaked out, when the last 2 years are option years, and they can get out in 2018 with a Post June 1 cut.

I think Smith will be fine, he knows the system, it's not like we are only going to use 3 LBs a game, we need to have good LBs, if it means Smith, Bow, Foster, Brooks are our main 4, then so be it.

AB, what essentially does the money look like to Smith over the first 2-3 years?

Originally posted by pdizo916:
I have a funny gut feeling that this guy will fkn ball. My favorite FA signing along with Hoyer.

I think he will too. He can play all 3 LB positions, and be our 1st. guy off the bench at worse.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I have a funny gut feeling that this guy will fkn ball. My favorite FA signing along with Hoyer.

I think he will too. He can play all 3 LB positions, and be our 1st. guy off the bench at worse.

Yep. I want Smith and Brooks to man and rotate at the SAM position and Bow and Foster to never leave the field. Whatever the case, our backers are 100000X better than last year
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Yep. I want Smith and Brooks to man and rotate at the SAM position and Bow and Foster to never leave the field. Whatever the case, our backers are 100000X better than last year

SAM will be handled by Brooks but Harold,Watson got a shot and maybe even Elvis/Lynch in certain packages.

We might play some "over" fronts but as some of the knowledged have said(Heroism comes to mind for me) said it takes time before going there to play a smaller backer on the strong side.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i hate this guy. can we just cut him plz? k,thx
Originally posted by 49ers808:

SAM will be handled by Brooks but Harold,Watson got a shot and maybe even Elvis/Lynch in certain packages.

We might play some "over" fronts but as some of the knowledged have said(Heroism comes to mind for me) said it takes time before going there to play a smaller backer on the strong side.

You mean the side he played in Seattle when our defensive coordinator was there with him?
Share 49ersWebzone