LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

The Strategy???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Up until today, I've just been anxious to see what the strategy was going to be for FA. Like everyone, I knew we had money to spend and were gonna spend a lot of it, but I was curious as to how. A new regime with tons of cap space has options, but this is also a team that has gone through a ton of turmoil over the past several years and does not exactly seem like a great destination for big name free agents looking for success (along with the money). After today, I think I see what the strategy was for Lynch and Shanny and think it was borderline brilliant.

In the past 12 hours, the team has remade themselves as something more than a laughingstock and a team potentially on the rise. The biggest knock on the current roster by the media (and most "experts") is that it is devoid of talent. To be fair, I never felt like this roster was that depleted of talent, but was sorely needing several pieces and a lot of depth. By focusing solely on the O today and bringing in skill position players (starters for the most part), I think the goal was to level the playing field with other teams so that we, at the very least, are on par with other franchises as far as desirability. We were not going to compete this FA period with teams like NE, SEA, DEN, etc. These are teams that are at the top echelon and likely don't have a ton of money to spend and will focus on one or two top tier pieces to get to (or back to) the top. We were destined to compete with the middling franchises that are trying to get into the upper echelon.

My fear leading up to today was "what do we have to offer a top tier FA this year aside from a bucket of cash and CA taxes?". However, by focusing today on mid tier FAs and paying fair and handsomely today, they completely revamped the complex of the offense. Make no mistake about it, we are likely looking at 40% of our starting O being signed today. I think the projection they wanted to put out for tomorrow when the top tier guys are shopping is "why not us?".

Lynch and Shanny are beginning to build something. I'm excited, but I'm a lifelong fan. I think the strategy for today was to strengthen the team with solid signings and show a few top tier FAs out there that would have scoffed at us last week that we are on an upward trajectory. Forget the team you have seen the past few years. I would not be surprised that once the actual signing period opens tomorrow that we will not see 2 or 3 top guys take serious looks at us. Heck, when will we EVER have this much money to spend again? (80% of it being required to be spend).

I know that building a championship team is not done through FA, but you need to have a core. I think that is the strategy they have displayed today. They are building a new core to this team that they want to attract a few top level pieces to. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But after today, I think we can look any pending FA in the face and legitimately ask "why not us?".
Yup, and jusczyk's $5mil per just put a fine point on it.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM ]
I am excited too, I will not feel comfortable until they have a QB but I am optimistic and that is something I have not been since the end of 2013.
I like that we made additions at positions of need on O. Our WR corp should be better than last year, and we have the pieces that fit in a Shanny O. Juice is the best FB in the league, so having Garcon-Kerley-Goodwin as our top 3 right now, with Hyde+Juice in the back field, is a descent start. The draft is going to be D heavy, with some O-line picks mixed in.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, and jusczyk's $5mil per just put a fine point on it.

You gotta pay players. You think it's too much for arguably the best FB in the game? When that position is heavily utilized in the team's O? And also for 4 years and the guy is 25.
Great take, man. I agree, Lynch and Shanahan approached this FA period with the goal of simply adding some good players. We didn't go crazy with any $100 mil contracts or anything like that, but we upgraded the talent base on this team with several players. Each one of these players will fit into a specific role and produce something for us.

We've been too passive in FA the last few years. Ideally we want to use FA to supplement the draft, not ignore it entirely. Shanahan and Lynch haven't even won a game yet here, but have instantly brought back good vibes and a sense of stability needed to attract players to come here, and we didn't have to grossly overpay to do it.

We're not going to turn this around overnight. All these additions don't suddenly make us a playoff team again, but what it does show is that Shanahan and Lynch have a vision. They know exactly what we need to get and how to get it. It should only be a matter of when, not if, we are competing again under their leadership.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM ]
I agree 100%. They are on top of things immediately. Showing everyone we're not going to be the laughing stock this year. One way is by cutting aging/underperforming vets, letting kaep walk. Theyre trying to create a competitive atmosphere and FA see these things. This is besides the fact that they'll get paid more and likely to front load most deals.
I like having Hoyer here, because he's a good stop gap guy. I hope we draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round to have to develop, I wouldn't bother trading for Cousins right now, what's the need? We're not going to the playoffs this year if he comes in, so might as well wait until next year, where it will only cost money. I'm hopiung Hoyer does good for us, and that our drafted QB progresses well enough that the need to sign Cousins becomes less of a necessity. In a perfect world, our drafted QB this year ends up being ready to start either late in the year, or at some point in his 2nd season.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great take, man. I agree, Lynch and Shanahan approached this FA period with the goal of simply adding some good players. We didn't go crazy with any $100 mil contracts or anything like that, but we upgraded the talent base on this team with several players. Each one of these players will fit into a specific role and produce something for us.

We've been too passive in FA the last few years. Ideally we want to use FA to supplement the draft, not ignore it entirely. Shanahan and Lynch haven't even won a game yet here, but have instantly brought back good vibes and a sense of stability needed to attract players to come here, and we didn't have to grossly overpay to do it.

We're not going to turn this around overnight. All these additions don't suddenly make us a playoff team again, but what it does show is that Shanahan and Lynch have a vision. They know exactly what we need to get and how to get it. It should only be a matter of if, not when, we are competing again under their leadership.
Yeah, agree. I think they let this roster get away from them over the past couple years. It's actually a testament to Baalke that he didn't blow a bunch of money last year on FAs knowing he was on the hottest of seats. I hated him not signing anyone last year, but now I am glad he didn't.
Lynch has said he wants to go into the draft not having a need in any position and draft bpa. He wants to use the cap space and FA to fill the needs. He's executing to his words.

Originally posted by SofaKing:

We're not going to turn this around overnight. All these additions don't suddenly make us a playoff team again, but what it does show is that Shanahan and Lynch have a vision. They know exactly what we need to get and how to get it. It should only be a matter of if, not when, we are competing again under their leadership.

This. Love the direction & decisiveness by Lynch & Shanahan! They know what they want & want they don't. Cutting dead weight or bad fits. A few more moves or trades wouldn't shock me by the time we are done. Go 49ers!
Not the sexy players a lot of us wanted, but this is setting us up to build through the draft. Bring in solid scheme fits who have played under our coaches to teach our rookies. When the rookies are ready to be extended, this FA class will be off the books. Gotta start some where. This is pushing the "culture" in the right direction
Lynch is writing Baalke's epitaph...he's doing all the things Trent didn't, like signing FA players who can help the team, cutting guys who're overpaid or under-achieving. It's looking less likely they'll be able to work out a trade with the 'Skins this year for Cousins...as analyst Mike Silver put it, the 'Skins are a "dysfunctional dumpster fire". Their GM (McCloughan) is MIA, and it appears their butthead owner Snyder would put the kibosh on any trade with us. They'll be the losers...the best they'll get next year is a 3rd rd comp pick after we sign Cousins and they get nothing from us. Wow. That said, Lynch will acquire as many good players now while he's got the cap space to do it, all the while building the roster so when they sign KC next year, most of the offensive pieces will be in place. I like that strategy a lot.

They're also building up the defense...one more "big" on the DL and we should be in good shape. They'll have to either acquire or have open competition for the LEO position. Malcolm Smith is a good signing...he's got history w/Saleh in Seattle, so our new DC will know how best to use him. Shoot, if the Browns take Trubisky at #1, Garrett would fall to us...yowsa. Lots of options...a good thing when you're cleaning house and bringing new talent. Maybe the most important thing is Lynch is most definitely putting his money where his mouth is. Freakin' awesome.
We've made more moves than people realize since ShanaLynch have taken over. With injured players returning, there is going competition. But, the key is systems. The WCO and 4-3 under defense is being installed...now, go find players who fit and get rid of those who don't. And they've done just that so far.

Gains/Moves:
OL Norman Price - Signed to a future contract
P Brock Miller - Signed to a future contract
PK Nick Rose - Signed to a future contract (Atlanta)
WR Rashad Ross - Signed to a future contract
SCB K'Waun Williams - Signed to a 1 year dealat $615k base, $75k signing bonus $75k week 1 roster bonus & $250k NLTBEs play time; per AB may be a RFA in year 2
WR DeAndre Carter - Signed to a two-year deal
DT Earl Mitchell - Signed to a four-year $16M deal (with $5.5m in year one). $3M signing bonus. Yearly $750K Per Game Roster Bonuses. Yearly $100K Workout Bonuses
2017 base of $1.65M is fully guaranteed at signing. 2018 base is guaranteed for $1.85M now for injury, and for that amount fully on April 1, 2018, 2019 and 2020 base salaries of $2.85M are non-guaranteed (only become guaranteed if on Week 1 53 Man Roster). Cap Numbers:2017 - $2,921,875; 2018 - $3,850,000; 2019 - $4,450,000 & 2020 - $4,450,000
NT Mike Purcell & LB Carl Bradford - Tendered one-year contracts to exclusive rights free agents
YWR Jeremy Kerley[/b] - Signed to a three-year, $10.5M deal
XWR Pierre Garcon - Signed to a
QB Brian Hoyer - Signed to a 2 year, $12 million, $10 million guaranteed, and an extra $6 million in incentives deal
XWR Marquise Goodwin - Signed to a 2 year, $8M deal
FB Kyle Juszczyk - Signed to a 4 year, $21M deal
SAM Malcolm Smith - Signed
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:51 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
We've made more moves than people realize since ShanaLynch have taken over. With injured players returning, there is going competition. But, the key is systems. The WCO and 4-3 under defense is being installed...now, go find players who fit and get rid of those who don't. And they've done just that so far.

Gains/Moves:
OL Norman Price - Signed to a future contract
P Brock Miller - Signed to a future contract
PK Nick Rose - Signed to a future contract (Atlanta)
WR Rashad Ross - Signed to a future contract
SCB K'Waun Williams - Signed to a 1 year dealat $615k base, $75k signing bonus $75k week 1 roster bonus & $250k NLTBEs play time; per AB may be a RFA in year 2
WR DeAndre Carter - Signed to a two-year deal
DT Earl Mitchell - Signed to a four-year $16M deal (with $5.5m in year one). $3M signing bonus. Yearly $750K Per Game Roster Bonuses. Yearly $100K Workout Bonuses
2017 base of $1.65M is fully guaranteed at signing. 2018 base is guaranteed for $1.85M now for injury, and for that amount fully on April 1, 2018, 2019 and 2020 base salaries of $2.85M are non-guaranteed (only become guaranteed if on Week 1 53 Man Roster). Cap Numbers:2017 - $2,921,875; 2018 - $3,850,000; 2019 - $4,450,000 & 2020 - $4,450,000
NT Mike Purcell & LB Carl Bradford - Tendered one-year contracts to exclusive rights free agents
YWR Jeremy Kerley - Signed to a three-year, $10.5M deal
XWR Pierre Garcon - Signed to a
QB Brian Hoyer - Signed to a 2 year, $12 million, $10 million guaranteed, and an extra $6 million in incentives deal
XWR Marquise Goodwin - Signed to a 2 year, $8M deal
FB Kyle Juszczyk - Signed to a 4 year, $21M deal
SAM Malcolm Smith - Signed

So far so good, I am really looking forward to see how it comes together, hopefully with a FQB candidate sooner than later.
Share 49ersWebzone