LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Brian Hoyer

Shop 49ers game tickets
We can tire out defences by running tremendous slant patterns at them.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Superior personnel = superior results.

3,600 yards 18/10 TD/INT would be superior results. He has only eclipsed 3,300 yards once and that year he threw more INTs than TDs.

I'm agreeing with you guys that he is poised for a career year. But I think maybe we have a different idea of what that means.

My take on it is he'll be as good as his run game. Give me a real average QB with an outstanding run game, and I'll give you a QB that can get you into the playoffs.

If you look at Joe Williams and the zone run, this kid can be outstanding in it. 4.41 seconds means that if he gets past the line of scrimmage - he's basically gone. This means if he's productive, the play action pass will open up a lot of underneath routes for the 49er receivers. If they start blitzing and rushing our QB, we can call a draw play and if he gets past the LOS, it could be 7 right there.

And vice versa too...the short passing WCO game will open up the running game esp. in the second half after we've built up a nice lead (in theory).

Exactly! One thing about the WCO, it takes a lot of energy to rush the passer. The short passing game can gas out D Linemen that aren't In shape and wear out defenses without a lot of good D line depth. Specially if Kyle's version of the WCO can consistently convert 3rd and shorts and play keep away with the other team. Even if they just move the field closer to the enemy and win the field position battle, the field positioning and the wearing out of the opposing defenses can make a difference in a close defensive game.

And the other beautiful thing about the OZ designs is they too wear down DL chasing sideline to sideline. So between the WCO principles and OZ schemes and with Kyle playing chess while the defense is playing checkers, you can see why his offenses are always the best and have no ceiling...like the old 9er offenses that were a machine.

(Paraphrased): We don't play against an opponent; we play against ourselves ~ Ricky Watters

PS: What separates Kyle from any HC/OC we've seen here is his ability to set the defense up later based on plays he calls early. Every play call has a purpose. This short game (time possession) will also compliment the defense well also.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM ]
Question, will Kyle be able to run the offense adequately from the sideline? Isn't the OC best positioned in the box? As head coach, he needs to be on the sideline , however. How can you possibly have an adequate perception ?
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Question, will Kyle be able to run the offense adequately from the sideline? Isn't the OC best positioned in the box? As head coach, he needs to be on the sideline , however. How can you possibly have an adequate perception ?

He'll be relying on the homies up stairs to give him the info and be on top of things from drive to drive,play by play.. they'll answer him in a jiffy if he has questions.
It seems to me that they will really have to have their act together. Although it is unorthodox for an HC to do so, it seems to me that it would be better if he was in the booth.
It seems to me that they will really have to have their act together. Although it is unorthodox for an HC to do so, it seems to me that it would be better if he was in the booth.

It would be easier if he was in the booth...but he's worked with his assistants before so it shouldn't be an issue.
He'll be able to be more hands on with his guys and keep up great energy by being on the field so that's a plus. Lot of coaches will tell you that you get a better feel as well. They know what they're doing, Lynch will make sure of it.
We can tire out defences by running tremendous slant patterns at them.

It's way more than slants and it always has been.

X and Z routes
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
It would be easier if he was in the booth...but he's worked with his assistants before so it shouldn't be an issue.
He'll be able to be more hands on with his guys and keep up great energy by being on the field so that's a plus. Lot of coaches will tell you that you get a better feel as well. They know what they're doing, Lynch will make sure of it.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Do you guys see Hoyer as a game management QB like Akilex Smith or is he a Matt Hasselbach type of a backup?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Can you imagine the behind the scenes talk of Lynch ripping Kyle a new one in a respectful way... so then Kyle relays that to his assistants lol. Nahhh, guess Lynch would do the dirty work himself probably along with Kyle in the office. That's the way to go about business. What a relief, this is looking like a SMART marriage between coach and GM,

Front office and back office working together. Harmony.
If Hoyer is the next Ritch Ganno, or Alex Smith, a journeymen indeed of a beet fit, and does well I will be pleased. If he is simply a decent game manager who can win a game or two with his arm, thats fine. The bar is low for him really, and thats for the best. Lets hope he is our Steve DeBerg.

3,600 yards 18/10 TD/INT would be superior results. He has only eclipsed 3,300 yards once and that year he threw more INTs than TDs.

I'm agreeing with you guys that he is poised for a career year. But I think maybe we have a different idea of what that means.

My take on it is he'll be as good as his run game. Give me a real average QB with an outstanding run game, and I'll give you a QB that can get you into the playoffs.

If you look at Joe Williams and the zone run, this kid can be outstanding in it. 4.41 seconds means that if he gets past the line of scrimmage - he's basically gone. This means if he's productive, the play action pass will open up a lot of underneath routes for the 49er receivers. If they start blitzing and rushing our QB, we can call a draw play and if he gets past the LOS, it could be 7 right there.

And vice versa too...the short passing WCO game will open up the running game esp. in the second half after we've built up a nice lead (in theory).

Exactly! One thing about the WCO, it takes a lot of energy to rush the passer. The short passing game can gas out D Linemen that aren't In shape and wear out defenses without a lot of good D line depth. Specially if Kyle's version of the WCO can consistently convert 3rd and shorts and play keep away with the other team. Even if they just move the field closer to the enemy and win the field position battle, the field positioning and the wearing out of the opposing defenses can make a difference in a close defensive game.

Another aspect of this Giedi (excellent post by the way), is the psychologic aspect of the successful WCO.. When the D has held and it's 3rd and 3, then a dink and dunk moved the chains, yes, it wears out the D. But also, they have played well, they are poised to get off the field and then some dinky little 3 yd pass and boom....they have to start all over again, this time 1st and 10. I alwasys thot that Coach Walsh loved hanging that around opponent's necks. That way he didn't just score a TD, he scored a knockout punch to the D mentally, when actually they played pretty darn well, but were on the field 9 long minutes, played great D, and still got scored on.

And what did they have to look forward to after a short blow for their O on the field? They got to do it all over again. In time, you could see the frustration on the D, playing well, giving up dinky 3 or 4 yarders, and STILL they couldn't get off the field. To me THAT was one of Coach Walsh's secret psych weapons. And opponents started doing dumb things, then, like holds, or shoves, or WRs. Add in a couple penalties, and the Ds were playing tired, p.o.ed, and mad. It was terrific psych ops on the opponent's D.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Another aspect of this Giedi (excellent post by the way), is the psychologic aspect of the successful WCO.. When the D has held and it's 3rd and 3, then a dink and dunk moved the chains, yes, it wears out the D. But also, they have played well, they are poised to get off the field and then some dinky little 3 yd pass and boom....they have to start all over again, this time 1st and 10. I alwasys thot that Coach Walsh loved hanging that around opponent's necks. That way he didn't just score a TD, he scored a knockout punch to the D mentally, when actually they played pretty darn well, but were on the field 9 long minutes, played great D, and still got scored on.

And what did they have to look forward to after a short blow for their O on the field? They got to do it all over again. In time, you could see the frustration on the D, playing well, giving up dinky 3 or 4 yarders, and STILL they couldn't get off the field. To me THAT was one of Coach Walsh's secret psych weapons. And opponents started doing dumb things, then, like holds, or shoves, or WRs. Add in a couple penalties, and the Ds were playing tired, p.o.ed, and mad. It was terrific psych ops on the opponent's D.

I agree. Yes, a well tuned WCO does definitely frustrate defenses. What's more is that if you have a franchise QB, your drafts are going to be very different than if you have a journeyman QB. If you are confident that you can score on the offensive side, you can go to much smaller D-linemen and Linebackers that are more quick and fast than big and strong, and there are a lot more humans in the 185 lb to the 270 lb than in the 270 lb to 300 lb range. Defensively your drafts open up and you don't have to draft a Solomon Thomas every year, you can draft less physically gifted D linemen that can pass rush vs run defend. You have options. You can (in a sense) mortgage a bit of your future for potential star players like a Jerry Rice, or trade for a Steve Young - kind of player. I don't know how New England does it, but every year they draft last and still make it to the playoffs time and time again. But that Brady offense and that defense help each other out and it's amazing how they lose parts and still keep chugging on. I hope we'll be a team like that with Kyle and a franchise QB soon. Maybe CJ, I don't know. If there is a Coach in the NFL that can find a franchise QB, it would be an offensive mind like Kyle. We were close with Harbaugh and Colin, my hope is we have one now with Kyle and maybe CJ, or maybe a 2018 QB draft pick (Josh Allen? Keller Christ? that Michigan U. Harbaugh QB?) The future really is looking bright. I can't wait for Training Camp to start.
A poster from a Cohn article posted this:

Hoyer's 138.9 passer rating out of play-action leads the NFL, per Pro Football Focus. His 12.0 yards per attempt out of play-action is second only to Kirk Cousins' 13.0.

Any irony there?

Now, behind Staley and big Trenton Brown, will the bootlegs be even more successful?

Per C:

Pretty good numbers, right? Here's how they stack up against every other NFL starting quarterback's numbers from their past 17 games:

1. Matt Ryan: 397-570, 69.9 completion %, 5278 yards, 9.3 yards/attempt, 40 TDs, 8 INTs, 116.3 rating.
2. Tom Brady: 370-549, 67.4 completion %, 4412 yards, 8.0 yards/attempt, 33 TDs, 3 INTs, 109.5 rating.
3. Aaron Rodgers: 429-654, 65.6 completion %, 4719 yards, 7.2 yards/attempt, 41 TDs, 8 INTs, 102.6 rating.
4. Drew Brees: 503-715, 70.3 completion %, 5531 yards, 7.7 yards/attempt, 38 TDs, 15 INTs, 101.9 rating.
5. Kirk Cousins: 418-621, 67.3 completion %, 5093 yards, 8.2 yards/attempt, 28 TDs, 12 INTs, 99.3 rating.
6. Sam Bradford: 462-646, 71.5 completion %, 4577 yards, 7.1 yards/attempt, 23 TDs, 6 INTs, 99.2 rating.
7. Matthew Stafford: 416-633, 65.7 completion %, 4625 yards, 7.3 yards/attempt, 27 TD, 10 INTs, 94.9 rating.
8. Derek Carr: 401-631, 63.5 completion %, 4335 yards, 6.9 yards/attempt, 30 TDs, 8 INTs, 94.2 rating.
9. Russell Wilson: 372-574, 64.8 completion %, 4416 yards, 7.7 yards/attempt, 24 TDs, 11 INTs, 94.1 rating.
10. Ben Roethlisberger: 416-634, 65.6 completion %, 4768 yards, 7.5 yards/attempt, 35 TDs, 19 INTs, 94.0 rating.
11. Brian Hoyer: 358-569, 62.9 completion %, 4,051 yards, 7.1 yards/attempt, 25 TDs, 7 INTs, 93.7 rating.

Note that Hoyer was the only one available in the top 10/11.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 3, 2017 at 11:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone