LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

WR Marquise "Flash" Goodwin (traded to PHI)

Shop 49ers game tickets
I am excited about this guy joining the team. I think he will get a lot of touches and provide some big plays for us.
Originally posted by cools:
I'll predict 4th WR, active on game days

Only guy I think who has a chance to stick on current roster is Mr.Rogers

Ellington, Burbridge, Smelter, Ross and Carter camp bodies if not cut before that

Eric Rogers is not making this team. He might not even make it to TC. I think Burbridge has a decent chance of sticking around because he can play ST's as well
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I am excited about this guy joining the team. I think he will get a lot of touches and provide some big plays for us.

I'm really excited to see if he's used the same way as Gabriel. I want to see what he can do with a WR screen

Ellington, Burbridge, Smelter, Ross and Carter camp bodies if not cut before that

Eric Rogers is not making this team. He might not even make it to TC. I think Burbridge has a decent chance of sticking around because he can play ST's as well

If we draft 2 WRs in the first 5 rounds, both of those guys won't make the team.

Rogers has a very legit chance of making this team IMHO. We currently have zero big-bodied dominant ZWR's for this WCO and he's the closest to that role. In fact, his combination of size, speed and production was a big reason Kelly brought him in here...then the injury happened. Rod Streater is another in that mold and could be resigned rather cheaply. As to Burbridge, he is not an outside WR and is more ideal in the slot as that tough, physical receiver who can make the tough catches (think Boldin from the slot). But he's got an uphill battle to make this team b/c the YWR spot is stacked and Goodwin, Robinson and Carter can line up everywhere to use their speed to exploit mismatches. Garcon will be moving between the X & Z often.

If I had to guess today, your 6 keepers are Garcon, Goodwin, Kerley, Robinson, Carter & Rogers...Ellington has an outside chance over Carter b/c of his versatility (even running him out of the backfield) but with his injury history, he's probably done. We'll probably keep 6 WR's b/c we'll probably keep at least 3 TE's in Vance McDonald, Logan Paulsen & Garrett Celek.

XWR: Pierre Garcon & Marquise Goodwin; DeAndre Carter & Chris Harper
YWR: Jeremy Kerley; Aldrick Robinson, Aaron Burbridge, Bruce Ellington & Rashad Ross
ZWR: Vacant; DeAndre Smelter & Eric Rogers
"Things are different here. The winning tradition here, the people here, the warm weather. Everything is different than Buffalo."

Shots fired at the Bills!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
dude ran a 4.26 at the combine.

"they can't...."

[ Edited by jrg on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
[ Edited by jrg on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Rogers has a very legit chance of making this team IMHO. We currently have zero big-bodied dominant ZWR's for this WCO and he's the closest to that role. In fact, his combination of size, speed and production was a big reason Kelly brought him in here...then the injury happened. Rod Streater is another in that mold and could be resigned rather cheaply. As to Burbridge, he is not an outside WR and is more ideal in the slot as that tough, physical receiver who can make the tough catches (think Boldin from the slot). But he's got an uphill battle to make this team b/c the YWR spot is stacked and Goodwin, Robinson and Carter can line up everywhere to use their speed to exploit mismatches. Garcon will be moving between the X & Z often.

If I had to guess today, your 6 keepers are Garcon, Goodwin, Kerley, Robinson, Carter & Rogers...Ellington has an outside chance over Carter b/c of his versatility (even running him out of the backfield) but with his injury history, he's probably done. We'll probably keep 6 WR's b/c we'll probably keep at least 3 TE's in Vance McDonald, Logan Paulsen & Garrett Celek.

XWR: Pierre Garcon & Marquise Goodwin; DeAndre Carter & Chris Harper
YWR: Jeremy Kerley; Aldrick Robinson, Aaron Burbridge, Bruce Ellington & Rashad Ross
ZWR: Vacant; DeAndre Smelter & Eric Rogers

What ever happened to just calling the WR positions Flanker, Split End, and Slot Receiver? It seems like X,Y, and Z are newer terms.
Originally posted by jrg:

"they can't...."

Nice piece on E:60 on him as well...playing for his sister who has CP.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/e60/video/346330/e60-marquise-goodwin-the-blueprint-22769004/

Originally posted by Niners99:
What ever happened to just calling the WR positions Flanker, Split End, and Slot Receiver? It seems like X,Y, and Z are newer terms.

Same thing...easier for coaches to write X, Y & Z on the whiteboards though (and in play calling verbiage).
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

"they can't...."

Nice piece on E:60 on him as well...playing for his sister who has CP.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/e60/video/346330/e60-marquise-goodwin-the-blueprint-22769004/

"they can't...."

I can't wait to finally have some speed at receiver instead of a bunch of 5'11 190 dudes who run a 4.6 40. Seriously, it always seemed pretty clear why baalke sucked at drafting receivers. He never drafted complimentary players, it was always the same thing. Never someone big bodied, and never anyone who had speed.
  • thl408
I've been watching film on this guy and he has good body control. He didn't have a good catch rate, but he was targeted a lot on deep routes where Tyrod Taylor didn't have optimal ball placement. Obviously his catch radius isn't large. I'll cut up some plays at some point to show how I think Shanahan might be using him, specifically how he can run Out routes from a reduced split. Still need to watch more snaps of him versus man coverage.
I wonder how good is his route running? I know he was pretty raw coming out of college, but maybe Kyle thinks he and his wr coach can coach him up. Plus he's from Texas like Kyle lol. I hope we can use him on screen plays. Take full advantage of that speed.
Share 49ersWebzone