LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

WR Marquise "Flash" Goodwin (traded to PHI)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kupp/Jones/Darboh.
Originally posted by saniner:
Jennifer Lee Chan‏ @jenniferleechan
"Stats are like seeing a girl in a bikini. It shows a lot but it doesn't show everything."

New #49ers WR @flashg88dwin

I like this guy

probably the greatest quote on stats ever lmao
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude ran a 4.26 at the combine.
Wonder how many WR's we keep on the roster this year? As we speak, Garcon+Goodwin+Kerley+Robinson are 4 locks.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Wonder how many WR's we keep on the roster this year? As we speak, Garcon+Goodwin+Kerley+Robinson are 4 locks.

6-7
That means a battle royal with the scrubs from last year.
If we can't net a good WR early in the draft, I'm fine rolling with what we have until next year. Personally I'd be trying to get Josh Gordon right now, so I could completely ignore WR in the draft, and focus on O-line and D. Gordon if pissing clean is a bonafide #1 WR, and would do very well here.
Marquise Goodwin may lack a substantial NFL resume, but the 49ers newly signed wide receiver doesn't lack for confidence.

Today, Goodwin, a former Olympic long jumper who owns fifth-fastest (4.27 seconds) 40-yard dash in combine history, was asked if he'd ever failed to be recognized as the fastest player on his team.

"Never," he said. "Never. Not in the (NFL), either. I know there's a lot of questions out there and I'm going to put that out there: Yes, I'm still the fastest in the league and I'm willing to prove it."

Last week, Washington wide receiver John Ross set the combine record with a 4.22-second 40-yard dash. Could Goodwin beat Ross in a race?

"No, I don't think," Goodwin said. "I don't go into situations thinking. I know."

So who is the second-fastest player in the NFL? "It doesn't matter," Goodwin said. "Second place doesn't matter."

You get the idea: Goodwin has some swagger to go with his speed.

But the 2013 third-round pick who finished 10th in the long jump at the 2012 Olympics doesn't have much of a track record in the NFL.

Last year, he had career-highs in catches (29) and yards (431) — and those figures topped the combined totals from his first three seasons. Goodwin, 5-foot-9 and 179 pounds, has missed 25 games with a variety of injuries (hand, hamstring, rib, ankle). He's also twice missed a game with a concussion.

However, he has flashed his game-breaking speed. Consider the length of his six touchdowns: 40, 59, 43, 84, 6 and 67 yards.

The 49ers likely hope he can assume the role Taylor Gabriel, another diminutive speedster, filled capably last year with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta.

Goodwin, colorfully, suggested his statistics didn't tell the complete story of his NFL career.

"When you're invested like I am, when you're a team player like I am, a lot of the time statistics don't matter," Goodwin said. "One of my good friends … he pointed out to me -- He said 'Stats are like seeing a girl in a bikini. It shows a lot, but it doesn't show everything.' And I hold a lot of truth to that."

Twitter: @Eric_Branch

I love it
Originally posted by jcs:

6-7

We aren't keeping 7 WR's.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Love this signing, love the speed and what he brings to the offense. I just hope these new receivers can just stay healthy!!!
Originally posted by jreff22:

6-7

I have a gut feeling that Kerley will be the only WR from last year to make the 53 man roster.

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

6-7

I have a gut feeling that Kerley will be the only WR from last year to make the 53 man roster.

I think you're right.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

6-7

All 3 phases brother. Offense, defense and special teams. One or two could make an impact there. They have to come from somewhere.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

6-7

Not when you carry an FB for sure
Looking forward to seeing this guy eat up ground in a hurry.
Originally posted by zonkers:
Looking forward to seeing this guy eat up ground in a hurry.

I'm prepared for this guy to play the #2 role(though doubt he finishes #2 in receiving on this team), but I still think we're getting a push starter in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone