LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Who Was More Talented? (Willis or Lewis)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Was More Talented? (Willis or Lewis)

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Willis was a killer LB on the field, The other guy was one on/off the field

One takes his dirty suits to the cleaners, the other guy burns his...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Lewis. If PWilly could kill people it wouldn't even be close

no wonder he injured his foot. He was wearing garbage ass KSwiss.

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/threat

Originally posted by valrod33:
Willis is a quitter, doesn't belong in the same sentence as Lewis

And yet you place them in the same sentence together.

Your position on Willis is absurd and moronic.
Willis was more gifted but lewis had more heart and intelligence! Bowman if not been injured been the best of them all!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
At their absolute best for one season, I'd take Bowman, Willis then Lewis in that order.

As for an entire career I'd take Lewis, Willis then Bowman in that order.

To hangout with I'd take Bowman and Willis equally and avoid Lewis at all cost.
Originally posted by natediaz:
ray lewis is an all time great player. not only he's talented, but he is the fiercest competitor, and possibly the greatest leader. no offense to willis, it's not a fair comparison.

There's a difference between being more talented and being better. It's back to the whole Tom Brady conversation. Brady isn't more talented than some of the QBs playing today but he's better for all those other factors which make him great. You also have the Jerry Rice/Randy Moss discussion. Moss was easily more talented but he wasn't better.

Same thing here. Willis = more talent. Lewis = better player.
Fitting article given the discussion...though it makes me sad knowing what happens in the game they mention and in the career for Pat :(

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1498026-ray-lewis-vs-patrick-willis-comparing-the-past-present-of-the-lb-position
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Patrick Willis had more talent. So sad he retired.....
Ray Lewis had more talent around him and a better leader.

Good call!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Funny as hell to see couch potatoes call a great NFL linebacker a quitter. We couldn't dream of doing what Willis did, and he did it for 9 freaking seasons. I would bet Patrick's money was more secure than Ray's, allowing him to walk away from the game earlier than normal peacefully. You're going to see more guys do that as they are able to make more money.

Love Pat, but Ray was the better player and the more talented player.

I agree. I don't see how people feel the need to put down Willis because he retired sooner than people wanted. To be that talented and play at an elite level, he obviously put a crazy amount of hard work in. Who are we couch potatoes to call him a quitter or question his desire. Pretty ridiculous to me.

At the end of the day it's pure jealousy, and guys simply don't see athletes as human beings. If folks need perspective, go watch some event video of Earl Campbell.
cant believe this thread

Willis had potential but he is NO WHERE NEAR Ray's level.

17 years vs 8 years folks....this shouldn't even be a thread.
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Mar 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM ]

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Patrick Willis had more talent. So sad he retired.....
Ray Lewis had more talent around him and a better leader.

Good call!

Ray wa great, but pump the brakes on the leadership part. The difference is we got to see Ray's pregame speeches. Bet you all the 49ers that played with Pat would say he was a great leader as well.
I want to say Willis. Id love to say Willis. But Lewis was the more talented player. SIGH
Both were phenomenal tacklers with incredible range, but I would have to say Lewis was the better of the two. His longevity sets him apart, and even if we talk only about the two of them in their prime, he was simply a shade better.

Don't get me wrong, Patrick Willis deserves all the respect in the world (to the guy who called him a quitter... YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, COME ON, MAN!!), but I don't really think this conversation is going on anywhere but a 49ers forum.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Still kills me that they didn't give the ball to Gore for a run up the middle in the Super Bowl when Lewis was not in on those plays.

They should have! But that was the most rigged Super Bowl i've ever watched. Of course the NFL wanted Lewis to have the super bowl fairy-tale retirment ending. The refs were hand picked by Goodell, which led to horrible calls on both ends, in fact didn't a player push a ref? that should have been an ejection (ala Justin Smith Chargers game) and Goodell has ties with the Ravens Owner Steve Bisciotti and i'm not just saying this because im a niners fan! Patrick Willis is more talented because of our lack of Offense, Willis was the anchor to the offense!
[ Edited by plummerfan on Mar 7, 2017 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by davewaymer49:
Willis was more gifted but lewis had more heart and intelligence! Bowman if not been injured been the best of them all!

This pretty much sums it up
Share 49ersWebzone