LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

To Spend or Not to Spend

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Lifer:
The most important question in FA is "who fits our scheme?" You don't go after some guy just because he's a big name or he did well in someone else's system. You go after players who fit your system. What the extra cap space gives you is a free hand. If the right guy is out there, you can afford to pay whatever it takes to sign him.

Some guys who I think fit the scheme really well:

Brian Hoyer - QB
Pierre Garcon - WR
Zach Brown - ILB
Patrick DiMarco - FB
Agreed. We've missed in the past on FAs because they didn't fit the scheme. Tully Banta-Cain and Winfred Tubbs come to mind, even Torrey Smith.

The Coaches and GM need to be in sync and not sign any LB just because a LB is listed as a need. I think this is where Baalkes disconnect with the coaches really set up the catalyst for the downfall of the team.

I like that Shanahan has been telling scouts what positions they need but what type of players to look for when finding guys that fit the scheme in the draft and i'm sure will do the same with FAs
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We'll be flush w/lots of $$$

Very tempting to rebuild fast.

KS/JL said they wouldn't spend foolishly and here's a VERY good article along tose lines.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/5/14816602/49ers-roster-free-agency-2017-kyle-shanahan

I agree w/the premise

Thoughts??

Good read
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Pierre Garcon
Donta Hightower
Johnathan Hankins

With Earl Mitchell, my expectation of signing a big Fat NT FA is low. I definitely think we need one, and I'm hoping we at least draft one. Some good fat run plugging NTs should be available in later rounds.

This. I've been on the Hankins bandwagon since last fall. He played three tech last season in NY because of Snacks but he is a natural one tech. It's where he's been the most effective in his young NFL career. Lynch already confirmed that Mitchell will be playing the one, and I would think the decent amount of front loaded money that they gave Mitchell was because they envision him being a starter right now.
Can some salary cap guru explain how much we have to spend this year? The 49ers have been rolling over salary cap money for years now. I think you are only allowed to do this for 3 years and then you have to spend a certain percentage. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks to whoever clears this up. I have a feeling we HAVE to spend this money THIS year or a large chunk of it.
Originally posted by SisterFister:
Can some salary cap guru explain how much we have to spend this year? The 49ers have been rolling over salary cap money for years now. I think you are only allowed to do this for 3 years and then you have to spend a certain percentage. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks to whoever clears this up. I have a feeling we HAVE to spend this money THIS year or a large chunk of it.

Yeah I can answer, there isn't a minimum per year, but over the next 4 years(2017-2020) the 49ers and every team has to spend at least 89% of the salary caps from each year combined, but not in cap dollars, but cash, which is what the player actually earns in one season, so roster bonuses, workout bonuses, any incentives, and signing bonuses paid that year(not prorated from previous contracts, so if he signs a new deal with a $10M bonus that counts for that year).
Lynch doesn't have to spend a lot of money on high-priced UFA's...one or two might be ok, but I don't believe Jeffery's worth whatever his asking price is/will be. I'd much rather see JL sign Garcon and possibly Pryor. Much as I'd like to have Hightower, signing Zach Brown would be less expensive and provide a skilled b/u should anything happen to Bowman. Brown also has the speed to play the Sam position. If they don't acquire a LEO type player in FA, there are some really good guys in the draft. He could sign a FA DL, like Poe...or he could re-sign Chris Jones and draft Allen. Lots of options, which is a good thing. Trading down from the #2 spot would be another good thing to do...to gain a couple more picks. There could be other Niner FA's signed...we'll see. Anxious to see what Lynch/Shanahan have up their sleeves.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We'll be flush w/lots of $$$

Very tempting to rebuild fast.

KS/JL said they wouldn't spend foolishly and here's a VERY good article along tose lines.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/5/14816602/49ers-roster-free-agency-2017-kyle-shanahan

I agree w/the premise

Thoughts??

Good read
Scenarios don't compare. 2010 team was 6-10 and 8-8 the year before with an influx of both young highly drafted players and F/A's. This team is coming off a 2-14 season and was clearly overmatched in many games last season. Just look at the number of blowouts we were involved in last year.
Originally posted by jcs:
Scenarios don't compare. 2010 team was 6-10 and 8-8 the year before with an influx of both young highly drafted players and F/A's. This team is coming off a 2-14 season and was clearly overmatched in many games last season. Just look at the number of blowouts we were involved in last year.

No not really, look at the second Seattle game, Miami, Arizona both games, Dallas, and a few others including the Bears. The Niners were extremely competitive in a lot of these games. So with actual coaching and a few more good free agents And just a decent draft we could easily be 6 to 8 wins. And that is with a stop gap quarterback not cousins.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by jcs:

No not really, look at the second Seattle game, Miami, Arizona both games, Dallas, and a few others including the Bears. The Niners were extremely competitive in a lot of these games. So with actual coaching and a few more good free agents And just a decent draft we could easily be 6 to 8 wins. And that is with a stop gap quarterback not cousins.

Yessir. Then you try to eff around and get a triple double.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Yessir. Then you try to eff around and get a triple double.

Very nice!! We are finally going to get some great players in FA. probably 2-3 starters I hope.

• Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
The most important question in FA is "who fits our scheme?" You don't go after some guy just because he's a big name or he did well in someone else's system. You go after players who fit your system. What the extra cap space gives you is a free hand. If the right guy is out there, you can afford to pay whatever it takes to sign him.

Brian Hoyer - QB
Pierre Garcon - WR
Zach Brown - ILB
Patrick DiMarco - FB

Would rather spend a late round draft pick on a FB. He'll cost nothing for four years.

Cost really isn't the issue. We have plenty of cap space and can easily afford DiMarco (around $1M per year). He's a veteran who excelled in Shanahan's system the last two seasons. He'll outperform any rookie you can sign in the late rounds, plus he brings veteran leadership to the locker room and can be instrumental in helping Shanahan to install his system. Trying to save a few dollars on a rookie FB would be a false economy for a team in our position. DiMarco brings more to the table.
For the past 5 years we already saw the result of not spending. We have to spend. Here's my rationale:

Our team, especially the defense, took a nose-dive in talent due to some high profile early retirements. This wasn't the typical annual attrition of older guys retiring and us gradually replacing these guys in the draft. We had three top defensive players just call it quits and one who was just a complete dumbass that couldn't stay out of trouble.

So we have to counter that in a non-traditional manner by spending money. Hell we'd be spending that money anyways if players like Willis, Borland and Cowboy and a sober Aldon Smith were still here. There's a reason we're sitting on a $100 million stack. All our big money guys are gone.

Brian Hoyer - QB
Pierre Garcon - WR
Zach Brown - ILB
Patrick DiMarco - FB
This looks about right. I'd also go after Mike Williams. We haven't had our Jerry or Terrell here in a while. It's high time.

Williams, Garcon, Smith and Kerley is a formidable WR corps.
The team spent on a new coach and GM, they will do something in free agency. The question becomes how much will they spend. The focus is the QB position, Alex was there in 2011. They must find a QB to get through this first year. How they go about that is the million dollar question.
Guys, we don't need to "be smart about free agency."

The market is set. Paraag knows EXACTLY the range with which a player is going to command on the current market. Sure, a player here and there will go above that range but we'll also set our own range limit so if that player goes above it, he's out anyway. Next move.

With the ability to outbid EVERYONE on signing bonus, additional bonuses, guaranteed money and first year contracts, we can pretty much sign whoever we want from a FQB to ER to WR or all combined.

So for this current FO, it's about finding the right scheme-fits and setting themselves up for total freedom in the draft.

There are a ton of 24-27 year old FA's that are excellent scheme fits.

I anticipate us to spend somewhere between $65-80M with almost all front-end loaded contract keeping year 2+ low.
Share 49ersWebzone