LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

To Spend or Not to Spend

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We'll be flush w/lots of $$$

Very tempting to rebuild fast.

KS/JL said they wouldn't spend foolishly and here's a VERY good article along tose lines.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/5/14816602/49ers-roster-free-agency-2017-kyle-shanahan

I agree w/the premise

Thoughts??
Good article, I think we don't need to make a whole bunch of moves this off season in FA, but we should make a big signing or two at easy to see positions of need. I like Hightower at LB, and Alshon at WR.
I agree that Free Agency spending is best done in moderation. That $90 mil in cap space can evaporate quickly if the team is reckless in handing out bad contracts. Its better to focus on scheme fit more than name recognition. Earl Mitchell won't wow anybody, but at $4mil per year its good value. I'd spend big bucks only if that free agent was unquestionably going to solve a big need we wouldn't be able to address in the draft.

Also production and value relative to their contract. We're paying Kerley $3mil a year to catch ~60 passes. He also returns punts for us. Torrey Smith is being paid $8mil a year to catch 25-30 passes as a low volume deep threat. Hopefully that changes and we get more out of him, but there is no question who provides more value relative to their contract at this moment.

Where I'd disagree with the article is that we might have a good team already. We don't. This won't be a repeat of 2011. We don't have that talent base in place, and although he is right that we didn't make any big splashes in FA that year, we did make many lower-end signings that turned out to be great deals.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM ]
It would be a good year to sign some big money guys and front load their contracts so there arent cap issues in the future.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
It would be a good year to sign some big money guys and front load their contracts so there arent cap issues in the future.

Bingo. The cap Keeps increasing so it's better to sign these players to big deals now and front load them then signed them later so we have more room to keep our best players on the team. Look with Seattle did with Bennett's and Averill and others. We definitely need to sign two or so big contracts and cousins would be great as well. Keep the core of our team and draft around it.
  • jtr2
  • Veteran
Spend (probably overpay) for the right center pieces. Injury prone and older guys are a pass for us at this point. I like your point regarding Josh Garnett!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I agree that Free Agency spending is best done in moderation. That $90 mil in cap space can evaporate quickly if the team is reckless in handing out bad contracts. Its better to focus on scheme fit more than name recognition. Earl Mitchell won't wow anybody, but at $4mil per year its good value. I'd spend big bucks only if that free agent was unquestionably going to solve a big need we wouldn't be able to address in the draft.

Also production and value relative to their contract. We're paying Kerley $3mil a year to catch ~60 passes. He also returns punts for us. Torrey Smith is being paid $8mil a year to catch 25-30 passes as a low volume deep threat. Hopefully that changes and we get more out of him, but there is no question who provides more value relative to their contract at this moment.

Where I'd disagree with the article is that we might have a good team already. We don't. This won't be a repeat of 2011. We don't have that talent base in place, and although he is right that we didn't make any big splashes in FA that year, we did make many lower-end signings that turned out to be great deals.

Good points Sofa!

Completely agree in bold.

I'd like us to sign one impact player - a real difference maker on either O or D.
Spend the house, buy everybody and everything! That $ does you no good sitting there, be as wasteful as you need to be to get this thing figured out. Leave the bargain shopping to the teams with bad ownership groups. We need a ton of players, and we have no idea how good we are at drafting since KS and Lynch have never actually done it before.

This is the time to miss on big time free agents, this is also the time to over pay. If you catch lightening in a bottle, then you go back to being cheap and bargain shopping while taking care of your own good players.

It isn't our $, and as a fan I want to see a slew of talent enter the building this year!
FAs are mostly finished products, so if they are going to spend a lot, they better be sure the product fits (i.e. Torrey Smith) with what they want to do.
That said, I think they'll need to sign some FAs in order to build up the culture. At least they can show a lot of the younger players what it takes to reach that 2nd contract.
[ Edited by zonkers on Mar 5, 2017 at 12:42 PM ]
The guys we need to sign in FA, are young guys coming off their rookie deals, like a Hightower from NE. and Alshon in Chicago. Guys who will be in their prime through out their entire contract with us, and also would fill a position of need for us.

Let it ride!
$pend it
  • jcs
  • Veteran
We are basically a team playing backups as starters.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
We should give every FA 10million over the asking price.
We need to be smart about our spending. We don't need to go out and spend big bucks just because we have it. We need to go out and spend the money on players who are young and massive upgrades to the spots they will play. Get a few pieces this year, build through the draft, and continue next year in free agency. I would much rather have the money in 2 years when we are close to contention to go out and get the big pieces needed then to spend money now when we are at least a couple years away from contention.
Share 49ersWebzone